8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 2:09 PM by zBernie

Print preview not working

zBernie Level 1

Using Lightroom 5.7 under Mac Yosemite, when I press Command-P to print a photo, the print preview in the upper left hand corner of the screen is always blank.

Shouldn't there be a preview of the printed photo displayed?

• 1. Re: Print preview not working
          Bob Somrak Level 5

The preview pane in the print module ONLY shows the print layout lines, not the photo.

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.02.09 AM.png

• 2. Re: Print preview not working
            zBernie Level 1

Oh, I guess it's not broken then.  Seems as though such high powered software as Lightroom should provide a preview of what the printed photo will look like.  Many "lesser" applications provide this functionality.

• 3. Re: Print preview not working
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to use such high-powered software as Lightroom, then perhaps it would be well for you to understand how that high-powered software works. The main display in the print module is the print preview. The little display in the upper left-hand corner is there to allow you to examine the different print templates that are available. You choose a template, and it's applied to the image displayed in the main area. Then you look at the display in the main area to determine if it's what you want.

• 4. Re: Print preview not working
                zBernie Level 1

I thought perhaps that the main image of the photo to be printed in the center of the screen WAS THE PRINT PREVIEW.  But what prints does not match what is shown here.  It's close, but in most cases it does not precisely match.  If this is the print preview then it is not as accurate as other less high-powered applications I've used.

• 5. Re: Print preview not working

What doesn't precisely match? If you have done your page setup properly and chosen the appropriate paper profiles if your printer uses them, and your monitor is properly adjusted, then you should get a good match. I know I do. Please describe in more detail what the problem is.

• 6. Re: Print preview not working
                    zBernie Level 1

By precisely match I'm referring to the image alignment.  Below is a picture of my son (with a rainbow in my room shining on him).  The picture on the left is what is in LR, and on the right is the actual photo.  You can see in the image on the right that his chin is nearly truncated.  I've had parts of other photos that were in fact truncated.  Maybe I'm expecting too much?

IMG_20150317_134957205.jpg

• 7. Re: Print preview not working

First observation, your monitor doesn't seem to be adjusted properly. The display should match the print much more closely as far as color and tonality are concerned. You are printing borderless. And doing so forces the printer to do a little bit of cropping in order to do the print job correctly.

• 8. Re: Print preview not working
                        zBernie Level 1

Well, I would have hoped that whether printing borderless, or with border, the print preview would be more accurate, but I guess that is too difficult considering the many print options and variables.