3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 12:35 PM by A.T. Romano

Best export settings for 1080i50?

Stavros F.

I (mainly) use a Canon Legria HF R16 for my footage, and my clips (original) have the following characteristics:

1 video stream: AVC

1 audio stream: AC-3

Maximum bitrate: 18Mbps

Video:

15Mbps

1920 * 1080 (16:9), 25fps (interlaced, 50fields/second)

AVC (High@L4.0)

CABAC / 2 ref. frames

Audio:

256Kbps

48KHz

16bits

2 channels

AC-3

I use Adobe Premiere Elements 9 with my Mac mini (OS X 10.10.2) for editing my movies. I currently use for export the "H.264 1920x1080i 25" preset. My question is: is it meaningful to use custom settings to (for example) set a higher bitrate such as 30Mbps bitrate?

PS: Generally speaking, which bitrate is consider enough for "Full HD" 1080i50 (50fields/sec, 25 interlaced frames/sec) exported movies?

• 1. Re: Best export settings for 1080i50?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

If you are using for your 1920 x 1080 (50i) source and the export settings

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = M2T H.264 1920 x 1080i25

The default bitrate settings are VBR with Target 25 Mbps and Maximum 30 Mbps.

Your original has the maximum bitrate of 18 Mbps. So, it would be expected that the file size of the export

should be greater than the source. Is that the case?

Bottom line is your original source video bitrate should at least be met in the export settings bitrate and the file size be met as per your

requirements.

My thoughts...if you find an increased video bitrate improves the quality of the export and does not make the

file size prohibitive, then go with it. But be careful that your video bitrate changes do not drive the audio out of sync.

Bitrate settings do need exploration and experimentation on individual basis.

ATR

• 2. Re: Best export settings for 1080i50?
            Stavros F. Level 1

Thank you for your reply ATR!

Your valuable words

My thoughts...if you find an increased video bitrate improves the quality of the export and does not make the

file size prohibitive, then go with it. But be careful that your video bitrate changes do not drive the audio out of sync.

point the way to go! I am not sure if choosing greater bitrate than that of the footage could produce better results than using the same bitrate.

However, all other factors aside, which is the bitrate that you consider proper for Full HD 1080i?

• 3. Re: Best export settings for 1080i50?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

I tried to edit my post 1 when I realized that I answered your question from the version 13 rather than 9 with some of the details.

But, you posted before I could do that.

Here is post 1, edited in this post since I cannot get back into the post 1 original.

If you are using for your 1920 x 1080 (50i) source and the export settings

Computer

MPEG2

with Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080i25

The default bitrate settings are VBR with Target 20 Mbps and Maximum 21 Mbps (that is with Profile High and Level 4.0)

Your original has the maximum bitrate of 18 Mbps. So, it would be expected that the file size of the export

should be greater than the source. Is that the case? And, if so, is the increased file size acceptable?

Note: If you take Advanced Button/Video Tab's Profile High and Level 4.1, your max possible video bitrate goes 21/21 to 35 /35 Mbps with regard

to Target Bitrate and Maximum Bitrate.

Bottom line is your original source video bitrate should at least be met in the export settings bitrate and the file size be met as per your

requirements.

ATR

Add On...some of the details above were edited since I overlooked in the original write up that this question was related to 9 instead of 13.

But, with regard to

However, all other factors aside, which is the bitrate that you consider proper for Full HD 1080i?

I am still going with exploration and experimentation, but zeroing in on about 18 to 26 Mbps for the MPEG2 H.264 1920 x 1080 (50i).

Please see my comments on setting Profile and Level to accommodate Advanced export settings to set up to max 35/35 instead of 21/21.

ATR