5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 7:53 AM by gordoni47

Premiere Elements 13 Eyedropper for white balance, gray, and black NOT WORKING. Help!

PhillipTuggle

I'm using Premiere Elements 13.1 on an iMac, and trying to adjust the white balance on a clip with ZERO success.  The main reason for this is that I cannot utilize the "eyedropper" selector; I know what should appear white, gray, and black, but cannot select those items.

In the Three-Way Color Corrector there are Eyedroppers to use to specify areas of known color range. I have tried without success to select ANY of the eyedroppers...

I have clicked on it - NOTHING

I have held the left mouse on it and attempted to drag it onto the frame - NOTHING

I have right-clicked it - NOTHING

The eyedroppers are not greyed out and they do respond when clicked. I have hit Reset button galore. I have restarted the program.

I have held my mouth funny - NOTHING :-)

When my cursor is hovering over the tool, it changes to an eyedropper. If I click, nothing happens when the cursor is moved - the cursor changes right back into its regular arrow shape. The cursor does nothing to the image if an item is clicked....there is no change to anything on the monitor.

I am a longtime Photoshop user but new to Premiere Elements. This dropper seems to work nothing like the PS ones. In fact, it doesn't work at all...so far.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to simply select the eyedropper and take it onto the image and select the white (or gray or black)??? Before I go bananas (may be too late)? THANK YOU!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Eyedropper for white balance, gray, and black NOT WORKING. Help!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

philliptuggle

Please review the following Adobe TV video tutorial for the Three-Way Color Corrector. It is demo's for version 10 and its Sceneline workspace, but

the principles are relevant for 11, 12, and 13 which has different format for workspaces.

Get perfect color throughout your movie | Learn Premiere Elements 10 | Adobe TV

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/effects-reference.html

I do not see this the same as taking the white eye dropper, clicking on a not so white spot in the video, and having the spot (area) turn white.

Before you start color correcting, look at the Preview of the tonal range to get the idea of the grey, white, and black areas of the image.

In one case with a dark snow scene, I had better results "whitening" the snow with the Advanced Adjustments/"Shadow/Hightlight"/ and its More Options which included White Clip and Black Clip.

Please let us know if any of that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Eyedropper for white balance, gray, and black NOT WORKING. Help!
            PhillipTuggle Level 1

Thanks for the reply, ATR, but that does not solve the problem. Maybe I was not clear in the description.

In summary, here is the problem:

The eyedropper tool itself in Three-Way-Color Corrector CANNOT BE SELECTED or ACTIVATED;

I am sure it will work just fine as you have explained, after it the tool is successfully engaged. At present, no combination of keys or mouse buttons, clicking or holding, will activate the eyedropper so it may be carried over to the image/frame.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Eyedropper for white balance, gray, and black NOT WORKING. Help!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PhillipTuggle

Thanks for the reply, pointing to eyedropper tool that cannot be selected or activated.

Have you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (otherwise known as the Premiere Elements Editor Settings FIle)?

If not, please try to locate it and delete it

Users/Owner/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0

I  am strictly an Elements Windows user who tries to find common ground between Windows Mac for this type of troubleshooting situation, but that is what I believe is the Mac path to that file.

At the present time, is the Three-Way Color Corrector issue the only issue in your Premiere Elements 13 Mac system?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Eyedropper for white balance, gray, and black NOT WORKING. Help!
                PhillipTuggle Level 1

Still not working. I think the root cause of the problem is the mechanics of using the tool itself; I hope this screen shot shows up below ...

Here I have APPLIED EFFECTS open, and have selected Midtones (Greys) to be expanded so that the eyedropper and other details appear:

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 7.11.29 PM.png

Now, just below where it has a box and "Impacted frame area in white" (which I know is a checkbox allowing the area effected to be seen), there is a little color box and an eyedropper.

What EXACTLY do I do to select (activate) the eyedropper and subsequently tell the program what I feel should be grey in the selected clip?

As mentioned before, I can click it and the cursor briefly changes to the same shape as the eyedropper. But as soon as I move the cursor a fraction, it changes back to an arrow (normal cursor) shape. Even then, going to the area I need to select in the image, and then clicking it, does exactly nothing to the appearance of the image shown -- even if the colors start way off. No correction at all. It is as if the tool does nothing. The color wheels below all this DO work however - it's just the eyedropper that doesn't do anything. This just cannot be Adobe's intention. I am convinced there must be some flaw in how I am selecting the tool itself. And the user guide - needless to say - is worthless in explaining the mechanics.

So very frustrating. This appears to be the only thing wrong with the program - nothing else seems amiss.

NOTE: To add insult to injury, this promised white/gray/black balance feature and the three-way-color corrector is the SOLE REASON I purchased the software. Funny.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Eyedropper for white balance, gray, and black NOT WORKING. Help!
                  gordoni47 Level 1

Didn't see a reply to the above post...having similar problem:

- how do I use the grey/black/white eyedropper to set white balance in a clip?

I've used it successfully in Photoshop for stills---and this seems similar. But nothing seems to happen. I can get a "threshold" image, but nothing happens when I click in the white or black area.

Any ideas?

GORDON