4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 8:39 PM by Indio22

x58 vs x97

Indio22

Some people are installing 6 core Xeon processors such as the X5675, in their older x58 platforms.  Apparently these Xeon CPUs can be had rather cheap, and work in many x58 boards.  The claim by some users is the x58/Xeon setup matches or bests newer Haswell i7 x97 setups.  Any ideas if those claims are legit, particularly in relation to Premiere Pro and After Effects?

• 1. Re: x58 vs x97
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

GPU acceleration applications would work far better on the Z97 setups with the Quad core CPU since it has a higher clock speed and partially unlocked or unlocked CPU with the 4970K. Clock speed has a significant effect on GPU acceleration and how fast the data gets to the GPU for processing. The X99 which is the current Haswell E is a different platform and that would far outperform any I7 Gen 1 system whether I7 or Xeon from that time. Haswell E has DDR4, more cores, and as good or higher clock speed with greater cache. Add to that PCI-E 3.0 for both platforms and no way a X58 system can perform as well as Haswell or Haswell E with GPU acceleration applications. Where ever your hearing this noise it is not accurate.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: x58 vs x97
            Indio22 Level 1

I got the info while reading through the latter parts of this rather long thread over at a tech site:

Xeon L5639 Overclocking on X58 - Page 86 - AnandTech Forums

I have little experience with overclocking, but seems like the guys on that and some other sites, found ways to overclock the Xeons when placed into x58 boards.  The Xeons are available on auction sites at various prices sometimes around $100.  So users ditch their i7-920/950s and install the Xeons (with the X5675 version being popular lately).

So I guess with the Xeons, users get the benefit of 6 cores compared to 4 cores on x97 i7-4770K series.  And with overclock of the Xeons, the performance hit issue you mentioned in terms of GPU acceleration, might be somewhat negated.

• 3. Re: x58 vs x97
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

They are overclocking the Xeons by raising the Base clock frequency instead of the multiplier. That is more stable on the i7 Gen 1 platform but not on the current platforms. Even then it wasn't recommended since that can increase the PC-E bus speed if you don't pick a correct divider frequency for the base clock. That would negate the clock speed difference to some extent but the Haswell 4790K is not that expensive and it clocks higher than the i7 Gen 1 chips. Z97 has PCI-E 3.0 so the PCI-E performance is better still for graphics cards. There are also more 6Gbs sata channels on the Z97. I would not recommend going the I7 gen 1 route at all since any way you look at this even the Z97 will outperform any upgrade to the Gen 1 system.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: x58 vs x97
                Indio22 Level 1

Thanks I appreciate the advice.  My son is getting more involved with application design and video editing/effects, using my old x58 machine.  But this particular x58 board has poorly implemented Marvel Sata III ports, which might be bottlenecking the fast Samsung SSDs on the machine.  And also no internal 19pin connector for the new front USB 3.0 ports I installed, so I was going to have to buy an adapter.  Overall the x58 was feeling a bit long in the tooth so to speak.

So when I saw a very nice deal on an i7-4790k/z97 combo last weekend, I jumped with the intent of swapping out the i7-950/x58, to get the missing platform items and also a faster CPU in the process.  But when I found out about that Xeon/x58 option, I was having some second thoughts.  I think as you suggest, I will stick with my plan to use the new i7-4790k/z97.  Plus, there is a surprisingly decent market for used x58 boards, so I could make back some of the cash spent on the new CPU and board.