3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2015 9:49 AM by SJRiegel

Trouble importing Excel document into Indesign

jennifers41940208

Hi,

As part of my work, I have to create pricelists from Excel documents. The lists contain a mixture of old and new items, with the new items highlighted in bold. The lists are organised in numerical order, so these bold items are scattered throughout the list, with no regular pattern. It is essential that we keep this mixture of bold and regular items as this is the only way a customer can tell if an item is new.

In the past, we have done this document in Quark and the only way we could find to keep the bold formatting was to copy and paste the Excel info into a Word document and then import the Word document into Quark which is a bit cumbersome. Is anyone aware of a way to get the document straight from Excel to Indesign, whilst maintaining the text styles assigned in Excel?

May thanks,

Jenny

• 1. Re: Trouble importing Excel document into Indesign
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create a Character Style in InDesign that consists only of the Bold attribute. Import your Excel document as a formatted table. Once your table is in place, use Find/Change to apply your Bold Character Style to the bold text from Excel. Once that is done, you can apply Paragraph Styles to the whole text without losing the bold from those items.

• 2. Re: Trouble importing Excel document into Indesign
            jennifers41940208 Level 1

Hi SReigel,

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if I've been clear enough with my question - my problem is that when I import my excel document into Indesign it loses all of the bold formatting that was in the Excel file straight away. Even if I import it as a formatted table it comes through as just plain Times New Roman, with no lines of bold text, so I can't use find/change to identify the bold text as it doesn't appear to exist once the table has been imported into Indesign. Does that make sense (not sure I'm explaining it very well, forgive me)?

Best,

Jenny

• 3. Re: Trouble importing Excel document into Indesign
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you able to share a portion of your Excel document through dropbox, or another file sharing service? I use this method to retain color in Excel charts, placed into InDesign, so I may be able to see what is going wrong.