5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 3:36 AM by jbj82523446

edit original in photoshop : raw vs jpg

jbj82523446

Hi,

my problem : when I modify a raw file in LR, and then do some corrections in Photoshop, when I come back to LR, all the initial LR modifications are now made permanent to the image and no way back.

I did not have that problem with jpg files where I followed that process:  I modify them in LR, and then choose the "modify a copy" option when going from LR to Photoshop. Then  I do my corrections in photoshop on the copy, and when I go back in lightroom, I copy all the settings from the non-modified initial picture to the Photoshop-modified copy. So I end up with a picture including the Photoshop modificiation, but where I can still change the initial LR editing.

Any idea how to follow similar process for raw file (I use CR2 Canon format for Raw) ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Julien

• 1. Re: edit original in photoshop : raw vs jpg
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot save a raw file out of PS, it has to be a TIF or PSD or JPG, so it’s unclear what you mean that the edits are permanent since nothing is ever written back to the raw file by either PS or LR.  When you return to LR after saving your PS-adjusted image from PS, there should be the original raw file and a TIF/PSD copy.  I would guess the edited PS copy is stacked on top of the original raw and you just need to right-click and choose Unstack to see both.

• 2. Re: edit original in photoshop : raw vs jpg
            jbj82523446 Level 1

thanks a lot for your answer, I was not clear : is there a possibility to edit in PS the original RAW file (without the LR editions) and then, when back to LR with a TIF or JPG, apply again the LR editions ? (what I aim for is that, for example, if I reframe the file in LR and then do a PS edition, when I go back to LR, I can still go back to initial framing)

• 3. Re: edit original in photoshop : raw vs jpg
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photoshop is not capable of editing raw image data. By the time the raw image is open in Photoshop it has been converted. That is why it's necessary to save it as a TIF or PSD file. All of those adjustments become part of the file that Photoshop saves. However, the original raw image can still be changed or even restored to its original state. And you can create virtual copies in order to have different renderings of the same image. But once the image is opened and saved in Photoshop, all of the adjustments become part of the image.

• 4. Re: edit original in photoshop : raw vs jpg
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you start in LR, crop a raw file, do an Edit In PS, you will have only the cropped image in PS, not the un-cropped original file, so I’m not sure I follow the rest of the question.

Does it help that you can create a virtual copy or a raw file in LR, reset all your LR edits (or just the crop) on the copy, then do an Edit In PS on that copy and so you’ll have the original with LR edits, the virtual copy possibly without some or all LR edits, and then any result you save back from PS.

• 5. Re: edit original in photoshop : raw vs jpg
                  jbj82523446 Level 1

yes, your last suggestion works great. Thanks !