16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2015 1:51 PM by goob4114

Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?

davids31827257

Anyone in the know, please define for those of us who wish to purchase LR, what are the differences of the following:

Box Set

> Advantages:

> Disadvantages:

> Cost:

Download

> Advantages:

> Disadvantages:

> Cost:

Thank you

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
          dj_paige Level 9

Exact same program except that download will be the most recent version of Lightroom 5 while CD is Lightroom 5.0, maybe there are cost differences which you can look up yourself, but other than that no advantages or disadvantages either way

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

Not only are there no explicit advantages to a boxed set, one honking great disadvantage, as implied by DJ but which warrants being spelled out, is that by buying a CD you're almost certainly immediately out of date: it's almost certain that whatever version is on CD will have been superceded by newer and (hopefully) better versions...

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
              goob4114

There is no advantage of getting the boxed set.  However, the only disadvantage is efficiency.  Let me explain.  As someone already pointed out, when you get the boxed set, you are getting Lightroom 5.0.  Currently, LR is in version 5.7.1.  It was implied that if you get the box version, you will forever be behind.  That's not the case.  If you get the box set, and you want the latest version, you will have access to it for free - but you will need to download it online, so you'd be installing the box set, and then updating it online - in which case, the update process will uninstall Lightroom 5.0 and reinstall 5.7 - the most current version - so either way you go, if you want the latest version, you're going to have to download it.  You are not "out" anything by getting the box set.  It's just a bigger pain.  Even those that downloaded it originally 4 months ago will still need to download the updates - and they are just as big as the original download because they are literally the whole program -- every time you update.  I'd just download it, and be done with it.  There is no price difference.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

goob4114 wrote:

It was implied that if you get the box version, you will forever be behind.

No it wasn't.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                  Shawn T. Moore

I use to like the cd, but when you lose the CD you can alway go back and redownload LR 5.  I would not buy it at this point since LR 6 is coming out anytime now .   And you will not be able buy a license since LR 6 is a subscription only.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                    goob4114 Level 1

I'd like to add this :

Currently, there is the Creative Cloud plan called the "photography plan" that includes Lightroom (and all future updates - - INCLUDING major dot updates - like Lightroom 6 when it comes out).....AND the full version of Photoshop CC - - all for $10 a month.  Now, there has been no official announcement, but Lightroom 6 could be around the corner (or it could be 6 months away or longer).  If Lightroom comes out in the next few months, it would be in your interest to get this plan - if you'd like to be on the latest version for a while.  Even if you get the perpetual license and download, you will not have access to LR6 if it should come out soon - which means you would have to spend the $149 to get LR5, update it, and then another $149 (assuming its the same) for Lightroom 6 when it comes out.  That alone makes it more logical to get the $10/mo plan - and unless there is not another version of LR (Like Lightroom 7) for 30 months, its cheaper to get on this plan.  And this is ignoring the fact that you get full access to full blown Photoshop and all future updates.  Something to think about.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                      goob4114 Level 1

This was said : "buying a CD you're almost certainly immediately out of date" without clarifying that updates are entirely free.  It merely requires an additional step to get up to date - and that was not explicitly stated.  I was simply clarifying.  It could have easily been taken as forever out of date.  We are just trying to help here.  Let's not start a useless debate, k?

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                        Shawn T. Moore Level 1

There a good chance the photography plan will go up after  the new LR6  comes out. Now is a good time to lock in the price for a year.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                          goob4114 Level 1

"And you will not be able buy a license since LR 6 is a subscription only."

There is no way to know whether or not this is going to be the case.  No official announcement has been made.  Unless I am mistaken.  If so, can you please provide a link within Adobe's site where they have officially announced that LR6 will be subscription only?

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Shawn T. Moore wrote:

There a good chance the photography plan will go up after  the new LR6  comes out. Now is a good time to lock in the price for a year.

And where did you get that bit of information? I'm amazed at the number of unsubstantiated remarks that have been made in this thread. It has never been implied that Lightroom 6 will be subscription only. I have never seen it suggested that the subscription price will go up when Lightroom 6 is released. There has been a major upgrade of Photoshop since the introduction of the subscription plan, and the price didn't change.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                              Bob Somrak Level 5

goob4114 wrote:

means you would have to spend the $149 to get LR5, update it, and then another $149 (assuming its the same) for Lightroom 6 when

The upgrade price if it stays as it now will be $79.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                                rkelly0137 Level 3

goob4114 wrote:

"And you will not be able buy a license since LR 6 is a subscription only."

There is no way to know whether or not this is going to be the case.  No official announcement has been made.  Unless I am mistaken.  If so, can you please provide a link within Adobe's site where they have officially announced that LR6 will be subscription only?

Nothing that I've read, just a bunch of speculation.  I'd be really surprised if it came out subscription only.   Photoshop may not have any legitimate competition, but Lightroom sure does.

I'd also be really surprised if Adobe raised the Photography plan subscription so soon.  The lynch mobs may have put away their pitch forks and torches, but there's still plenty of the masses upset about the subscription model.  Raising the rates so soon would undoubtedly turn away a lot of people that are starting to warm up to the idea, and probably even push away some current subscribers.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                                  rkelly0137 Level 3

JimHess wrote:

I'm amazed at the number of unsubstantiated remarks that have been made in this thread.

+1

• 14. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                                    goob4114 Level 1

You're right.  I did not consider that the price would likely be discounted for users who already have a previous version.  Still - the spirit of my point remains.

• 15. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                                      rkelly0137 Level 3

goob4114 wrote:

You're right.  I did not consider that the price would likely be discounted for users who already have a previous version.  Still - the spirit of my point remains.

Yeah.  They usually offer a 30-day grace period for those that just recently purchased when a new version comes out.  Still, I wouldn't recommend buying now, hopefully we'll see LR6 soon.

You can DL a 30-day trial, that should get you through, hopefully, till LR6 comes out.

• 16. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                                        goob4114 Level 1

I'm not a fan of blind speculation.  Either way they decide to go, I would submit that those responsible for that decision are exponentially more informed about the model than I'll ever be.  It will be what it is.

• 17. Re: Lightroom 5 boxset vs download...Which one and why?
                                          goob4114 Level 1

Yes, this is why I suggested the subscription.