9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2015 1:13 PM by coopes

? mark on folders in my lightroom library

coopes Level 1

I have deleted some pics and now I have some ? marks against my folders in light room 5, if I take the light room and Photoshop monthly option will it let me start from scratch again as I really did not understand the import photos options so my photos are all over the place.

regards

Gary.

• 1. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
          Gaurav.Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Gary,

Are you experiencing issue with Photoshop, Lightroom or with Adobe Business Catalyst? If you have any issue with BC, please provide any url where it is happening and we will take a look, if you mean some other product let me know, I will add this thread to related product so you get the correct resolution.

• 2. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
            coopes Level 1

its lightroom 5 and its down to me as I deleted some photos outside of lightroom so I have now got ? next to my library folders in lightroom,

• 3. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
              Bob Somrak Level 5

To start over in Lightroom all you need to do is create a NEW catalog under the FILE menu.  Understand though this will remove the edits and  metadata you did in your old catalog.  To save the edits and metadata you can write the XMP data to your files and then restore this data in the new catalog by reading the data back in.

Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 2.17.58 PM.png

• 4. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
                dj_paige Level 9

coopes wrote:

I have deleted some pics and now I have some ? marks against my folders in light room 5, if I take the light room and Photoshop monthly option will it let me start from scratch again as I really did not understand the import photos options so my photos are all over the place.

regards

Starting over again ... does not happen if you purchase the monthly subscription.

• 5. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
                  coopes Level 1

Hi Bob and thanks for the info, I will do as you suggested as I just needed a push in the right direction, it really was so helpful.

regards

Gary

• 6. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
                    goob4114 Level 1

If I were you, before I start all over (if that's what it comes to), I'd spend a good amount of time organizing your photos on your hard drive.  Have them all in one place.  Have one folder.  Something like "Pictures", and inside that folder, you can have as many folders and sub folders as you want.  It makes "starting over" a LOT easier if something were to happen and you needed to relink or something.  As someone else has already pointed out, you could start a new catalog, but I wouldn't do that until my photos were organized efficiently on the hard drive (and you lose all your edits, previews, metadata, etc.).  After that's done - then start a new catalog and link it to that parent, and Lightroom will do the rest.  From that point forward, anytime you'd like to restructure your photos (move a photo on the hard drive to another location or delete it all together), DO IT WITHIN LIGHTROOM.  Otherwise, you will get that "?" because you would have moved a picture on your hard drive behind Lightroom's back.  Lightroom doesn't like that.  Lightroom demands to know what you've been up to while she's been hard at work for you.

• 7. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
                      coopes Level 1

Please can I thank all of you people that took time to answer my query, I did not know these forums existed and from now on I will be using them again, I did look at the dvd's on adobes site but they don't go into when something goes wrong, you people do and once again thank you.

I will put your replies  into action next week.

Regards,

Gary

• 8. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
                        coopes Level 1

Thank you for your help dj_paige

Gary

• 9. Re: ? mark on folders in my lightroom library
                          coopes Level 1

Thanks its sorted now Gaurav

Gary