4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 12:49 AM by clauderozsa

How to make a shatter effect in cinema 4D

clauderozsa Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to use the shatter effect in Cinema4d but in the lite version available through AE the collision and simulation tags are not available. So how one can use it without the simulation and collide tags  available?

Claude

• 1. Re: How to make a shatter effect in cinema 4D
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can use the MoGraph Fracture object with Effectors to simulate some of that.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to make a shatter effect in cinema 4D
            clauderozsa Level 1

Yes but how? I've a tutorial and in the process you have to use the simulation and collide tags which are not available unless there has been a problem while the installation of the program was done?

The whole problem is that I have to break a building and I tried as you suggested the other day with Shatter to use a gradient but I must have used it wrongly because it did not work. This morning I found on Creative Cow a way to stop the pieces falling by setting with a key frame the gravity to 0 and viscosity to 1 but the result is rather artificial  as some of the pieces stop falling in mld air which is ridiculous. I tried then Cinema 4d following Sean Frangella tutorial and that's when I discovered that the essential commands were missing in the lite edition. I must say I find it a bit harsh to put a link to a software knowing that essentials commands will be absent.

I'm not petroleum magnate to spend the price of any of Maxon's offers for the full product. I'm an amateur trying to have a kind of original editing of his videos.

• 3. Re: How to make a shatter effect in cinema 4D
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You misunderstand. You simply use effectors and animate their parameters or the strength to create the illusion, e.g. on a plain effector pushing the pieces downward to simulate the fall. Conversely, animating the falloff of an effector could serve to mimic the expansion of a force similar to the Shatter effect.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to make a shatter effect in cinema 4D
                clauderozsa Level 1

I'll see; for the moment I try to concentrate on Shatter using a custom map and trying the gradient and the tips given by Kevin in Creative cow. I must say I'm surprised that Adobe developers did not think to also give the option to have the pieces stay on the floor as well as the original author of the effect. It is such an obvious situation to create.