4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 6:02 AM by BobLevine

Converting Illustrator documents to Indesign and back

FroQ_Chennai

For one of my client we want to try to use the new software for automatic artwork creation. At this moment this software is only capable of generating Indesign files. What we want to do is to create a template in Illustrator and export this document to an Indesign file. This Indesign file will be uploaded in the software.

So that client can add their own text. As soon as the file is ready, we will download this Indesign document. Once the finished document is downloaded we want to export the text layer back to illustrator and place this text layer into the original illustrator template, cause we want to deliver the files in Illustrator instead of Indesign.

Do you know if there’s a way to export Illustrator files to indesign without having to do a complete new layout in Illustrator?

COPY paste is not an option at this moment. I am looking for any script or pluging or any software which does it automatically.

Please let me know the possibilities.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Converting Illustrator documents to Indesign and back
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You can't open in an editable way PDFs from InDesign in Illustrator or any PDF in InDesign.

What you can do is place and link PDFs (recommendation: PDF/X-4) in both programs from any source. If you need not to open it and edit it, it would be possible, but you must not embed any PDF from InDesign in Illustrator.

Illustrator is NOT a common PDF editor.

• 2. Re: Converting Illustrator documents to Indesign and back
            Bo LeBeau Level 4

You mentioned: . . . we want to try to use the new software for automatic artwork creation.

What new software? A name and a link would be helpful.

Why the constant switched back and forth from Illustrator to InDesign?

Are you aware of Adobe InCopy? This is separate Adobe application that allows people without a copy of InDesign to edit elements of an InDesign document.

. . . Once integrated, writers, editors and designers can simultaneously work on the same page; the designer creates the page layout with InDesign, while editors simultaneously edit different stories with InCopy, via the Adobe LiveEdit rights management system.

Here is a link to the Adobe InCopy forum: InCopy

You won't need Illustrator at all.

Again you mentioned: . .cause we want to deliver the files in Illustrator instead of Indesign.

When you are sending the final artwork to be printed you shouldn't be sending native files like Illustrator or InDesign.

You will be sending a PDF which will still retain all the text and drawn elements as vectors.

Pixel-based images will still remain pixels, but this is the same whether you use Illustrator or InDesign.

• 3. Re: Converting Illustrator documents to Indesign and back
              FroQ_Chennai Level 1

Hello Bo Lebeau,

Thanks for the reply.

I am little aware of InCopy. But I can't use it because it convert from Indesign to InCopy or vice versa.

I am afraid I can't do this, because our core business to work in Illustrator (packaging). Kind of chain marketing. which means there are lot of other companies involved in this process. And all they are used to work with Illustrator. So it is very tough to change the software.

Is there any other way using Illustrator software?

• 4. Re: Converting Illustrator documents to Indesign and back
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you need AI files then work in Illustrator.