5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2007 1:11 PM by Newsgroup_User

displayFullLingoErrorText - on Mac?

Level 7
      Okay, I've done this a lot on PC, creating a file with projectorName.ini
      with the following text:

[lingo]
      displayFullLingoErrorText=1

This turns the non-descriptive "Script Error" into something telling you
      exactly what's wrong. It works great on PC, but my question is - how do you
      do this on the Mac? I figured out pretty quickly that the TextEdit program
      is incapable of creating a file of the correct type. (It only saves as .rtf
      or .doc, rather than plain-text, and hides an extension which you can't get
      rid of.) So I created the file on a PC in Notepad as I usually do and
      copied it over. But it still doesn't work. I can't get proper error
      messages no matter what I do. Anyone know what the secret trick is?

• 1. Re: displayFullLingoErrorText - on Mac?
          Lukewig Level 1
          Hi,

that looks right... Do you also need to set the debugPlaybackEnabled to true as well?

-- Luke
          • 2. Re: displayFullLingoErrorText - on Mac?
            johnAq
            debugPlaybackEnabled will display a message window.

IIRC, the mac/windows CR/LF line break difference may be an issue. You should find a Director.ini file in the app folder on your mac - use this as a start point.

hth

johnAq
            • 3. Re: displayFullLingoErrorText - on Mac?
              Level 7
              > IIRC, the mac/windows CR/LF line break difference may be an issue. You
              should
              > find a Director.ini file in the app folder on your mac - use this as a
              start
              > point.

Question, though - what do I edit it with? The TextEdit program won't touch
              it, and even it did it would only save as RTF or DOC. What do you use for
              plain-text editting on the Mac? (I know I used to use SimpleText back in
              the old days, but it seems that no longer exists since OSX.) Or do I need
              to take the Director.ini from the Mac over to the PC, edit it here, then
              bring it back over... Seems like way too many steps for such a basic
              operation...

(I've since solved the problem by other means, but I'd still like to know
              how to do this right for next time.)

• 4. Re: displayFullLingoErrorText - on Mac?
                Level 7
                As a last resort you could use Director (authoring or projector) and
                FileIO or another file writing xtra.
                • 5. Re: displayFullLingoErrorText - on Mac?
                  Level 7
                  Hi Darrel,

not a mac expert, but I think that in the 'regular' text editor in OSX
                  you need to explicitly _open_ it as plain text. (if memory serves)
                  In the time I had to work on one I downloaded a free text editor from
                  someplace to edit ascii files.

Manno

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
                  >> IIRC, the mac/windows CR/LF line break difference may be an issue. You
                  > should
                  >> find a Director.ini file in the app folder on your mac - use this as a
                  > start
                  >> point.
                  >
                  > Question, though - what do I edit it with? The TextEdit program won't touch
                  > it, and even it did it would only save as RTF or DOC. What do you use for
                  > plain-text editting on the Mac? (I know I used to use SimpleText back in
                  > the old days, but it seems that no longer exists since OSX.) Or do I need
                  > to take the Director.ini from the Mac over to the PC, edit it here, then
                  > bring it back over... Seems like way too many steps for such a basic
                  > operation...
                  >
                  >
                  > (I've since solved the problem by other means, but I'd still like to know
                  > how to do this right for next time.)
                  >
                  >

--
                  ----------
                  Manno Bult
                  http://www.aloft.nl
                  manno@xs4all.nl