16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2015 6:00 AM by JoeKostoss

Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive

Bute

I used an external hard drive with version 2.7 I now have 5.7 and when I connect the external hard drive Lightroom finds the hard drive but not the photographs that are on it. Any suggestions on how to access these please

• 1. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
          dj_paige Level 9

Upgrade your LIghtroom 2.7 catalog to Lightroom 5.7 (if this doesn't happen automatically, then use File->Open Catalog in LR 5.7 and point to the LR 2.7 catalog). Do not import the photos. Never re-import.

See these instructions for reconnecting photos inside of Lightroom: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

• 2. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
            Bute Level 1

hhi, still having trouble, can't find the catalog 2.7 when I open the system if still finds the hard drive and I can view the photos outside Lightroom. When I open catalog it gives me a list that includes Lightroom ARW files, when I open that all my photograph files appear to be there but when I try to open them in lightroom it comes back with No items match your search. I don't see any icons beside any of the files, it seems Lightroom cannot find the photographs.

thanks for your help

• 3. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
              Bute Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to add I am now using a new laptop. The old laptop would not take the Lightroom 5.7 as it was too old an operating system so I purchased a new laptop and have plugged the hard drive that I used on the older one into the new laptop. Think this may be significant?

• 4. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                dj_paige Level 9

can't find the catalog 2.7 when I open the system

What system are you referring to?

When I open catalog it gives me a list that includes Lightroom ARW files,

This is a good thing, is it not? These are your photos, right?

when I open that all my photograph files appear to be there but when I try to open them in lightroom it comes back with No items match your search.

Again I don't understand this. Please provide a lot more detail about what you are doing. Do you at any point mean "import" instead of "open"? You can't "open" photos in Lightroom but you can "import" them. Exactly what task in Lightroom produces this error message "No items match your search"

• 5. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                  JoeKostoss Level 4

Assuming that you still have your old computer, attach the HD to it, using Windows Explorer, locate the LR 2.7 catalog and copy it to the HD.  Move the HD to the new computer and follow the instructions from DJ in his first post above.

• 6. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                    Bute Level 1

thank you for this, I will have another go when I get home, when I plug the external hard drive into the new laptop and open Lightroom it finds the drive when I click on the Lightroom ARW it then gives a list of the files that my photographs are in but when I try to open any of these I get the message "No items match your search". I can see the photos when I open them in the laptops programme but when I try to open them in Lightroom I get the above message even though I can see the list of the files. Just don't know what I'm doing wrong

• 7. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                      Bute Level 1

Apologies once again, I have just been corrected inasmuch as when we plug the hard drive into the new laptop and open Lightroom the system finds the external hard drive but it show there are no photographs on the hard drive but when we open it in the laptops programme all the photographs are there. It seems like Lightroom cannot find them.

• 8. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You indicated that you cannot locate the catalog from Lightroom 2.7. When you upgraded to Lightroom 5, if you didn't convert that 2.7 catalog, then the photos on that external hard drive have not been imported. You cannot simply open those photos on that EHD using the file/open method. It will be necessary for you to import them into this new Lightroom 5 catalog. If I have misunderstood what you have done then I apologize.

• 9. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                          dj_paige Level 9

Bute wrote:

Apologies once again, I have just been corrected inasmuch as when we plug the hard drive into the new laptop and open Lightroom the system finds the external hard drive but it show there are no photographs on the hard drive but when we open it in the laptops programme all the photographs are there. It seems like Lightroom cannot find them.

We're not really discussing your photographs. That isn't what we are advising you to look for. And looking for photographs will not solve this issue.

So let's not talk about photographs right now.

Several people have asked you to find your Lightroom 2.7 catalog file. So let's talk about the Catalog File from Lightroom 2.7. Do you have this file, or not?

• 10. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                            Bute Level 1

This is the screen I get when I open Lightroom with the hard drive connected, that includes the hard drive on the leftside list

This is the screen when I click on File,Open Catalog, it shows Lightroom ARW but cannot see 2.7

When I click on Lightroom ARW it gives a list of files but when I click on any of the files I get the "No items match your search message

I know I have not been explaining this too well so thought the screenshots may be a better way forward. Once again thank you for your time and assistance

• 11. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                              dj_paige Level 9

You're still not answering the question.

What catalog is this? Is this your Lightroom 2.7 catalog converted to Lightroom 5.7? Or something else? How did you create this catalog?

Have you searched your hard drive(s) using your operating system's search feature to find .LRCAT files?

• 12. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                                Bute Level 1

Not sure what this is, l used this hd with my old laptop that had 2.7 on it. Whay you see is what happens when l plug the hard drive into my new laptop with 5.7 on it

• 13. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                                  Bute Level 1

After doing a search of the new laptop it finds lightroom 5 only

• 14. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                                    JoeKostoss Level 4

Your new laptop with LR 5 cannot see the photos because they are not in the LR 5 catalog.  Your old Laptop with LR 2 sees the photos because they are in the LR 2 catalog.  The LR 2 Catalog is on your old laptop, not on the EHD!!!  If you want to make this work, you must find the LR 2 catalog on your old computer as several of us have already asked several times!

• 15. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                                      Bute Level 1

Thank you, got there with all your help. I just assumed l only had to plug in the HD to the new laptop. Thank you for your help in this

• 16. Re: Newer Version Lightroom/External Hardrive
                                        JoeKostoss Level 4

It took awhile, but glad we were finally able to get you there.