5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2007 8:56 AM by robertaw

Publishing not working

lcjohn
      I'm sure ths is a dumb question and I'm going to kick myself when someone posts a simple explanation, but my project suddenly refuses to publish to my server. The primary layout is webhelp and I haven't changed anything in the publish dialogue (e.g.the server name is checked.). It generates without any problem, but nothing happens when I click 'Publish': no error message, nothing.

- John
        • 1. Re: Publishing not working
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Trying amending the target to somewhere on your hard disk. That will tell you whether the problem is with RoboHelp (if that also fails) or is a network issue (if it publishes OK to your hard disk).

If it works locally but not on the network, next try another location on the network, same server, just another folder.

• 2. Re: Publishing not working
            RoboWizard Level 4
            Hi all

In addition to my esteemed colleague's words of wisdom, it seems I recall a recent thread where it was discovered a file named "Thumbs.db" was among the mix and was the culprit. I'd also check the WebHelp output folder for the existence of these files (you may find one in each or several folders) and delete it.

Cheers... Rick
            • 3. Re: Publishing not working
              HKabaker Level 2
              In this situation I would test to see if the layout file is corrupted in some way.

If you are using the WebHelp default layout, create a new one under another name and see if the new one will publish.

If you're using a custom WebHelp layout, delete it in RH, close the project , make sure the corresponding *.ssl file is gone from the project folder, open the project, and create a new layout under a different name (just in case RH has saved the old name in some dark corner of the database).

Harvey

• 4. Re: Publishing not working
                lcjohn Level 1
                Thanks Peter, Rick and Harvey. This time it turned out to be a server problem. I should have checked this first, but I had a similar problem a while ago, and Rick's advice about the offending 'thumbs.db' file was the solution at that time.

John
                • 5. Re: Publishing not working
                  robertaw Level 1
                  Ah, the value of searching for an old thread! I am having the same problem, and this is helping. As a result of all the info here I've been able to narrow it down to what I think is a server problem. Crossing my fingers...

thanks all!