8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2007 8:52 AM by Hompe123

Simple Menu...

Hompe123
      Hi there,

I´m trying to do a menu like this example: http://surface2airparis.com/pg/ and I theoreticaly understand how to do it. But I have no idea how to write the code. What I can understand is to make a couple of MC and buttons that will control the MCs. But when it comes to geting the movieclips to relate to eachother using variables I´m lost. Can someone explain how I should think and perhaps give a tip on how you do this most efficiant. Thanx!

Regards

J
        • 1. Re: Simple Menu...
          Jan-Paul K. Level 1
          this one is not a simple "3 lines and your done" script. So you should break up your question into multiple parts so people are more willing to help you out.

Tell us how far you got trying it on your own, where did you get stuck more specificly?
          • 2. Re: Simple Menu...
            Hompe123 Level 1
            Okey I´ll try to explain a little bit more thuroghly

This is what I´ve got so far:
            -Three buttons named: button1-button3
            -Three MovieClips named: mc1-mc3 (textfield with a mask revealing the text after 5 frames)
            -Three MovieClips with the reverse animation named: mc4-mc6

I´ve given the MovieClips the variable name (inside the diffrent classes) mc1a-mc6a

Buttons have been placed on the stage and have all been given the following script: on (press) = function () {

And thats unfortunately it. I´ve tried to find information elswere online, but I just can´t find it.

J
            • 3. Re: Simple Menu...
              Jan-Paul K. Level 1
              waht is that reverse animation you are talking of?
              The menu link you showed us certainly does not use any animations created in the Flash IDE, but only animations done with ActionScript.
              So your approachw with the reverse animation might be the wrong way...if I got this one right.

Before we dive to far into this let me ask one question:
              are you planing to generate a fully dynamic menu (most likely XML driven) like the one on the page you posted the link for or do you want to create a menu that behaves like the one, but does always contain a static number of menu entries and sub entries?
              • 4. Re: Simple Menu...
                Hompe123 Level 1
                Hi again,

You´ve understood me perfectly. What I´d like to do is to make a static/fixed number of menuposts not an XML driven menu. I thought that I had to make the reverse motion so to speak as a single mc, but perhaps you don´t then. If understand you correctly, you can write a ActionScript to control the motion?

• 5. Re: Simple Menu...
                  Hompe123 Level 1
                  Hi again,

You´ve understood me perfectly. What I´d like to do is to make a static/fixed number of menuposts not an XML driven menu. I thought that I had to make the reverse motion so to speak as a single mc, but perhaps you don´t then. If understand you correctly, you can write a ActionScript to control the animation?

• 6. Re: Simple Menu...
                    Hompe123 Level 1
                    The text fields might be XML files linked into the flashdocument on second thought... Does this offect how I shall aproach the problem?
                    • 7. Simple Menu...
                      Jan-Paul K. Level 1
                      yes, indeed you can do animation using AS, and it is quite "simple" too, but you have to be familiar with AS.

But since you dind't want to create a fully-dynamic-reusable-super-OOP-XML-driven menu, this makes things a bit easier :-)

I build a dummy menu if in fash 8, so if you do onw flash 8 I could send you the file.
                      I didn't have enough time to build the complete menu, but you wanna do something by yourself as well, don't you? :-)

Just send me a private message with your e-mail address so I can send you the file
                      • 8. Re: Simple Menu...
                        Hompe123 Level 1
                        :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) I´ve sent you an private message. Thank you so much for helping me.

Johan