4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2015 6:58 PM by JFPhoton

Need advice on a laptop

Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Hi there,

I have my main editing system which is a desktop, but I would like to replace my old (2008ish?) macbook. I don't need it to be a powerhouse editing system, but I would like it to be able to edit decently if I'm on the go or have a presentation or workshop which requires me to be mobile. It's primary purpose would be to run office applications, capture and offload footage on the go, preview clips, etc. but, again, I would like to be able to edit if needed. I still have an extra license for CS6, but will probably eventually transition to CC. Premiere Pro mostly, but maybe some AE stuff. My budget would ideally be under $1000.

I know this is an old system, but would something like this be beneficial: ASUS ROG G750JM:? Amazon.com : ASUS ROG G750JM 17-Inch Gaming Laptop (OLD VERSION) : Computers & Accessories

Screen Size17.3 inches
      Screen Resolution1920 x 1080
      Max Screen Resolution1920x1080
      Processor2.4 GHz Core i7-4700HQ
      RAM12 GB DDR3
      Memory Speed1600 MHz
      Hard Drive1 TB
      Graphics CoprocessorNVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
      Graphics Card Ram Size2048 MB
      Wireless Type802.11 A/C
      Number of USB 3.0 Ports4
      Average Battery Life (in hours)3.5 hours

Brand NameAsus
      SeriesNotebook
      Item model numberG750JM-DS71
      Hardware PlatformPC
      Operating SystemWindows 8.1
      Item Weight9.9 pounds
      Item Dimensions L x W x H16.10 x 12.50 x 2 inches
      ColorBlack
      Processor BrandIntel Core I7
      Processor Count4
      Computer Memory TypeDDR3 SDRAM
      Hard Drive InterfaceSerial ATA-300
      Hard Drive Rotational Speed5400 RPM
      Optical Drive TypeDVD Super Multi
      Audio-out Ports (#)1
      Batteries:1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

Or is there a different system I should keep my eyes on? I'm not in a hurry so I'm happy to wait for deals. And while my old laptop was a macbook, I would like to stick to PC (my other desktops are PC) and I know a macbook is well outside of my price range (and is overkill for my needs).

Thank you for any opinions!

-Stephen

• 1. Re: Need advice on a laptop
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well your question belongs in the Premiere Hardware forum and I would imagine that a Mod will move it,

I personally have an upgraded G750JW model anf love it for video editing, If you can afford to upgrade that unit it will be great.  The first change that is necessary is to buy a 128 GB SSD drive and clone the OS/Applications to it and move (or remove) the lousy 5400 rpm drive.  If you can go the next step to acquire a good larger SSD drive and install it in place of the 5400 rpm hard drive that is even better.  Eventually you could also think of upgrading the memory.which I did on mine. These upgrades are very easy.  Here is a picture of the bottom of my unit after loosening one screw showing the two drive bays and the available memory slots that I filled.

ASUS-G750JW-bottom-cut.jpg

• 2. Re: Need advice on a laptop
            Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Thanks Bill. I didn't even think about the hardware forum, but that makes sense. Sorry about that.  I think with the lower price it would be easy to make those upgrades. I did find a few reviews for the G750JW (which you mention) but I don't know enough about hardware to know the differences between the G750JM and G750JW. BHPhoto has them listed and shows the comparison, but unfortunately "2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700HQ Quad-Core 4th-Gen Haswell" for the JM and "2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700HQ Quad-Core Haswell" for the JW mean nothing to me. It looks like the JW has "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5 SDRAM" while the JM has "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 2 GB Dedicated"

Thank you again Bill!

-Stephen

• 3. Re: Need advice on a laptop
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CPU's are identical, GPU's are both usable, nVidia does deliver two different versions of the 860M.  Do not forget that for satisfactory editing on any laptop you really need AC power as on battery they slow everything down to give you longer battery life.

• 4. Re: Need advice on a laptop
                JFPhoton Level 3

I bought the same laptop as Bill, ( Asus G750JW ), when my old machine was fried by lightning. Luckily, I found a "refurbished" one which arrived in a brand new condition, with all the "plastic" on it for only $850. This laptop works very well...esp. with the simple upgrades that Bill described, ( which also did).

If you get this machine, 2 of the memory slots are NOT accessible and should have a 4GB stick in each slot. So, you can remove whatever is in  any of the accessible slots, ( probably one 4GB stick), and then add two 8GB sticks to bring it to 24GB memory....which really helps.  Using two SATA III SSDs really speeds things up...the included 1 TB 5400 rpm HDD is almost useless. Crucial M550 SSDs are recommended as they are cheaper than the top rated Samsung 850 Pro series SSDs and have almost equal performance and reliability.

Currently, there are better ,newer laptops available on sale in the $1,100 range which have newer GPUs with more video memory and even with more storage options....( M.2 SSD ports, etc.).