7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 8:33 AM by Szalam

Cinema 4D - Save as PNG

mrsnooch

Hi,

I am trying to render a file from Cinema 4D within AE to a series of PNG files as I don't want my animation having a black background (I don't believe there is an easier way?).

Problem is any tutorial I follow on YouTube shows an option under 'Render Settings', then 'Save', of changing the file format, something I just do not have. I've checked on the comparison page on Maxon's site and the Lite version does support this so I'm a bit confused. I'm a complete noob at this, only started it 24 hours ago so I'm undertaking a massive learning curve, but I'm trying.

See attached screenshot for what I see.

Thanks!
      Mark

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 14.16.09.png

• 1. Re: Cinema 4D - Save as PNG
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's supposed to be run through AE and Cineware.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Cinema 4D - Save as PNG
            mrsnooch Level 1

Are the tutorials I'm using for the standalone version of 4D?

If I have an animation and bring it into AE, it has a black background, blocking out everything below it. I can't blend it as a Screen because it ruins the black elements of the animation as well. Any solution to this??

• 3. Re: Cinema 4D - Save as PNG
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mrsnooch wrote:

Are the tutorials I'm using for the standalone version of 4D?

I have no idea. Probably. Also, I've found a majority of tutorials on YouTube to be of questionable quality.

You have to make sure you render with alpha if you want transparency. That being said, if you have Cinema 4D Lite, you should only use the Cineware effect to render inside AE and don't render from C4D.

You really should go through some solid instruction first: Getting Started with Cinema 4D Lite and Cineware

• 4. Re: Cinema 4D - Save as PNG
                mrsnooch Level 1

Ohhh okay now I get what you mean! Yeah I've only read stuff in drips and drabs, I tend to jump in at the deep end lol.

Thanks for this

• 5. Re: Cinema 4D - Save as PNG

mrsnooch wrote:

I tend to jump in at the deep end lol.

That is a good recipe for drowning once you get into stuff like C4D or AE. Glad you're up and running. If you're new to AE, I would highly recommend this too: Getting started with After Effects It may look long and dull at first glance, but the amount of arse-pain it alleviates if you go through it makes it all worthwhile.

• 6. Re: Cinema 4D - Save as PNG
                    mrsnooch Level 1

Yeah it's what I'm used to, but normally I've used whatever it is in some shape or form!

Maybe you can help with a quick query - it's something I couldn't find on your previous link or any other articles. If I have my 3d animation, how can I track an image to it? I.e it's a 3d animation of a sniper rifle. I want an image of the scope to attach itself to the object's scope and then move with it in 3 dimensions whenever the rifle rotates.

I've tried doing the Perspective - 3D Camera Tracker, but it doesn't work with collapse transformations.

Thanks so much,
                    Mark

• 7. Re: Cinema 4D - Save as PNG

3d Camera Tracker simply creates a camera to match movements. It works with collapse transformations just like any other 3d camera does because it is just a regular 3d camera. So your problem is somewhere else.

The camera tracker tracks the camera's movements in a scene, not the movement of a 3d object, so I'm still not sure what you're trying to do.

There are several possible ways to do what you're asking for and it all is dependent on how you've created your scene. If the 3d rifle is something you've made in C4D, you can place your scope image inside C4D. (If you want it to be animated, render out an intermediate file and use that animated file as a texture in C4D.)

If the rifle is from in-game footage or something, you could use Mocha to motion track the scope and apply the tracking data to your scope animation's precomp. Info on motion tracking here: Tracking and stabilizing motion