6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 7:23 PM by ssprengel

ACR 8.8 & Lightroom 5

BigMouse Level 1

Firstly, I am new to photo processing and have installed twice now ACR 8.8.

I have LR 5.7 w/ACR 8.7 (obviously did not update). I have checked for updates within LR several times manually and daily by default and also have Elements 13 installed. Checked for updates in that program too with zero results.

Where does ACR go during installation? It states that the installation is complete. ACR does not show anywhere in the programs list. The update includes the camera I am using (Nikon D5500) and yet LR5 still does not recognize the camera's files.

I have metered internet. Two times downloading ACR and once the DNG converter costs money and is aggravating when failing.

• 1. Re: ACR 8.8 & Lightroom 5
          Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the RAW module that Lightroom uses different from that of what Photoshop/Bridge use (which is Camera Raw itself)? Lightroom users had to wait for a separate update (usually not too long).

• 2. Re: ACR 8.8 & Lightroom 5
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom does NOT use the Camera Raw plug-in. It's all in the Lightroom program. It is not possible to update Lightroom with a newer Camera Raw. It will be necessary to wait for an update from Adobe. It is unclear at this point whether there will be a Lightroom 5.8, or whether Lightroom 6 is released. When Lightroom 6 is finally released, it will be a paid upgrade if you are working on a standalone license.

• 3. Re: ACR 8.8 & Lightroom 5
              BigMouse Level 1

Thank you both for your response. So I am now clear on Lightroom's limitations with its imbedded ACR.

How about Elements 13? Does it also use a separate ACR iteration?

• 4. Re: ACR 8.8 & Lightroom 5
                BigMouse Level 1

JimHess Said

"Lightroom does NOT use the Camera Raw plug-in. It's all in the Lightroom program. It is not possible to update Lightroom with a newer Camera Raw. It will be necessary to wait for an update from Adobe. It is unclear at this point whether there will be a Lightroom 5.8, or whether Lightroom 6 is released. When Lightroom 6 is finally released, it will be a paid upgrade if you are working on a standalone license."

Yeah, I just purchased LR5 this month and am eagerly awaiting direct transfers from the Nikon camera.

• 5. Re: ACR 8.8 & Lightroom 5
                  Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

BigMouse wrote:

Thank you both for your response. So I am now clear on Lightroom's limitations with its imbedded ACR.

How about Elements 13? Does it also use a separate ACR iteration?

I'm definitely sure that Elements uses a separate version of ACR. (They call them, "Process Versions.")

• 6. Re: ACR 8.8 & Lightroom 5
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Elements uses a separate instance of the Camera Raw.8bi plug-in file.  It has nothing to do with “process versions”.

The camera raw 8.8 installer does NOT update the Elements 13 plug-in, unfortunately.