17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 5:51 AM by John.jcb

ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!

whsprague Level 4

It is fun following the rumor mill and that Lightroom 6 was supposed to be out today, March 20.  March 9 was also an agreed upon release date for some.  One rumor site this morning said it will be mid April.  There are various leaks from places like Japan, France and even Best Buy where the jacket cover is shown with a list of enhancements.

Today, there is an ACR 8.8 to cover 10 new cameras and more lenses, but no Lightroom!   In the few years I've been a Lightroom and Photoshop Elements customer, the ACR versions and Lightroom versions were released together.

My sympathy goes to the unfortunate folks at Adobe who must be slaving away at getting Lightroom out the door!  Good luck to them!

Bill

• 1. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
          Joshua Cohen Level 3

Notice that it's ACR 8.8 that was released. Wouldn't this be consistent with LR 5.8 and not LR 6? Wouldn't LR 6 be consistent with ACR 9?

• 2. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The blog post for the DNG converter suggests a new LR release is being quickly worked on. Not sure if that means a dot release or what. Maybe more camera models in the pipeline like the Canon 5Ds which combines medium format with DSLR benefits, but the files are quite large and bigger than any Nikon NEF' so far.

• 3. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
              whsprague Level 4

I think it would be consistent, but it didn't happen that way this time.  Rumor mill hints siting leaks here and there there suggest 5.7 will skip to 6.  One rumor mill suggests some core reprogramming to include use of larger memory chunks and graphic cards is creating huge challenges.  One hint is the public announcement that 64 bit computers will be required.

Please note that I know nothing and have access to nothing.  I'm only a happy ameteur that througly enjoys both using Lightroom and watching them as an interesting company.

I forgot to put in the 8.8 link:  Camera Raw 8.8 now available

• 4. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

whsprague wrote:

Rumor mill hints citing leaks here and there there suggest 5.7 will skip to 6.

The rumour mill has already been wrong about two March release dates.

So much for rumours.

• 5. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                  whsprague Level 4

Keith_Reeder wrote:

So much for rumours.

That's the fun of it!

There is a huge thread here somewhere about what will be in LR6 and what should be in LR6.   All rumor.

• 6. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                    bitm07 Level 1

whsprague wrote:

Today, there is an ACR 8.8 to cover 10 new cameras and more lenses, but no Lightroom!   In the few years I've been a Lightroom and Photoshop Elements customer, the ACR versions and Lightroom versions were released together.

Lightroom 5.7.1 was released almost a week after ACR 8.7.1

Notice that it's ACR 8.8 that was released. Wouldn't this be consistent with LR 5.8 and not LR 6? Wouldn't LR 6 be consistent with ACR 9?

+1

• 7. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                      whsprague Level 4

bitm07 wrote:

+1

You're probably right.  The last time I was not going to upgrade because I had no knew cameras.  Then I saw the collection of "My Favorite Things in LR5" videos. 

I taught me to save my money for each upgrade.  So, kinda like Christmas, I can wait to see what's inside the box.

• 8. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                        Exodist

All I know is I have patiently waited around the computer all freaking day to download and make a review of the new release for youtube. Yet still no dice.. :-( O well..

• 9. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                          bitm07 Level 1

whsprague wrote:

bitm07 wrote:

+1

You're probably right.  The last time I was not going to upgrade because I had no knew cameras.  Then I saw the collection of "My Favorite Things in LR5" videos.

I taught me to save my money for each upgrade.  So, kinda like Christmas, I can wait to see what's inside the box.

LR6 will be released when Adobe are ready, it may initially be a public beta or it could be the full release.   There have been many false rumors along the way and i'd be surprised if there aren't more to come.

• 10. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might find yourself waiting longer than you think. In the Camera Raw 8.8 release notes it is suggested to Lightroom users that they turn to the DNG converter 8.8 as a solution for the present. I have a hunch that Lightroom 6 is probably more than a week away from being released. No inside information, just speculation. And you know what that is worth.

• 11. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                              it's ACR 8.8 that was released. Wouldn't this be consistent with LR 5.8 and not LR 6? Wouldn't LR 6 be consistent with ACR 9?

ACR and LR releases don't run in tight lockstep. Three times before Adobe has released a major version of LR without releasing a major version of ACR:

2/18/07 ACR 3.7

2/19/07 LR 1.0

7/28/08 ACR 4.5

7/29/08 LR 2.0

3/5/12 LR 4.0

5/6/12 ACR 7.0

If you really want to nerd out, here's the release history of ACR and LR, based on press releases and the product updates page:

Untitled.png

The vertical blue lines indicate major LR releases.

• 12. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you’re a LR beta tester then you’d know if there was a LR 5.8 or not.

I am not a LR beta tester so have no specific information, but my suspicion was that there was not supposed to be an ACR 8.8 nor DNGC 8.8 but LR 6 was taking so long that about a week ago Eric Chan an Adobe Camera Raw Engineer posted that it would “be a while” before the E-M5 Mark II would be supported and he’d see what he could do to help things be supported, sooner.

So, in my estimation, the ACR 8.8 and the DNGC 8.8 were rushed out with whatever camera support Adobe had figured out so far that they were planning on putting into LR 6 and ACR 9, without any of the new functionality or coding-bug fixes, just to help people have some way forward with their new cameras since it’d been 3 months since the last ACR/LR update and a new camera update was about due. 

I also imagine that if LR 6 was just a few days away, Adobe would not have gone to the trouble of releasing ACR 8.8.

• 13. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                                  bitm07 Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

I am not a LR beta tester so have no specific information, but my suspicion was that there was not supposed to be an ACR 8.8 nor DNGC 8.8 but LR 6 was taking so long that about a week ago Eric Chan an Adobe Camera Raw Engineer posted that it would “be a while” before the E-M5 Mark II would be supported and he’d see what he could do to help things be supported, sooner.

This was always the likely consequence of not releasing a public beta.

• 14. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!

There have been no public betas of LR 5.x since LR Mobile was released most of a year ago.  A public beta would delay the final release over a month and there may not be that much flexibility in the schedules where things are being worked on up until the last minute and the more important PS’s release dictates when the final release will occur.

• 15. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                                      bitm07 Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

A public beta would delay the final release over a month and there may not be that much flexibility in the schedules where things are being worked on up until the last minute and the more important PS’s release dictates when the final release will occur.

If the announcement is immanent, then yes a public beta would delay the release.   However if Adobe were in a position to release a public beta months ago, but opted to carry out the process in private, then there decision may well have delayed the release.  Neither of us are LR beta testers, so it's all it's, buts and maybes.

• 16. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!

Not having a public beta lets Adobe work on various parts of LR without them all being ready for public use.   In other words, it is unlikely that everything was finished months ago, including any LR Mobile enhancements and their cloud-hosting changes, otherwise we probably would have had a beta or a final release by now.

• 17. Re: ACR 8.8 but not Lightroom 6!
                                          John.jcb

I keep both the new and old versions operational for a few months before removing the older one. If there turns out to be a problem tat impacts me I can roll back with little impact. It takes me a while to integrate new features in my workflow as well.