1 2 3 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 11:03 AM by LG0500

LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.

wimlexnl Level 1

I have LR 5.7 and a brand new Nikon D7200. I upgrades LR3.x to 5.7 and now i am unable to import NEF files. Is there a solution? did i do something wrong?

• 1. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
          Joshua Cohen Level 3

What you did wrong is expect an unsupported camera to work. I don't see this camera here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

In fact it's not even on the newly released ACR 8.8 list. I'm guessing you'll have to wait for the next update cycle (2-3 months).

• 2. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
            wimlexnl Level 1

So basically my camera is to new to work wit LR5.7??
            But... a NEF file, is a NEF file. Ok, it bigger (24MP camera) but not IMHO different.

2 to 3 months waiting for the new relase? ok... thats a bummer. ; )

• 3. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
              Joshua Cohen Level 3

It may not IYHO be different but it is in fact different.

• 4. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                bluishbird Level 1

I have a similar question. I set the camera up for Raw + jpeg fine, realizing that the Raw side was unsupported. But LR 5.7 won't recognize the jpeg either. I can bring the jpeg into iphoto but not the nef. Any ideas why Lightroom won't read the jpeg?

Robert

• 5. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom supports cameras based on the model number. That is why support has to be added for every new camera. The D7200 is so new that it isn't even supported in Camera Raw 8.8 which was released just yesterday (3/19). You will either have to use software provided with the camera or just shoot JPEG for maybe a couple of months. It won't do any good to pout and scream in the forum or go through the blame Adobe process because it isn't going to change anything. Wait a couple of months or so, and the problem will all be in the past.

• 6. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                    bluishbird Level 1

Jim, I'm not pouting. Did you read my post? It said that the jpeg won't import either.

• 7. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                      DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "But... a NEF file, is a NEF file. Ok, it bigger (24MP camera) but not IMHO different."

I am pretty sure that each and every Nikon camera module produces its own unique "NEF" raw file, even if the changes are scuttle and not identified by the camera manufacturer. If they go through the research and development to produce a new camera model I am pretty sure they are attempting to produce some improvement over an earlier model.

Why would one consider purchasing a new model that produced no improved image rendition even if it was processing enhancements.

• 8. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                        wimlexnl Level 1

NEF or NEF is different. Thats a fact. We learned that here now. More and different bits and bytes in one file called: 1234.NEF
                        but, if it's zo different than the .NEF file before, why do they use the ext .NEF and not .NEX or .NE2
                        A MS Word Doc has the ext .doc and the new ones .docx  due to all the new info in the files.
                        Probaly something above my head. And something that i will never understand. 
                        I will shoot only in JPG until the NEF can be read in LR5.x. I have patience : )  
                        Problem solved for now. thx!

• 9. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                          kcossabo Level 1

WOW, I would hope that 2-3 months is not the case. I will cancel my subscription to Adobe Cloud for 2-3 months until they support it. Why pay for a service (Cloud) that can not keep up with new hardware. $30 over 3 months just to wait for them to get caught up?

• 10. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.

And not have access to Photoshop and Lightroom for that period of time? A radical thought, shoot JPEG + raw while you are waiting. You can use the Nikon software to experiment with raw images, and Lightroom and Photoshop for the JPEG images. The new Nikon D5500 made it into the Camera Raw 8.8 update, but the 7200 is just too new. You might have to wait a little bit. But it will eventually be updated and everything will be in the past and none of it will matter.

• 11. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                              jono64971679 Level 1

Tried what you recommended, and even tried just shooting a regular jpeg from the beginning. It still won't work. Im finding its because the exif data isn't supported yet in Adobe. (Nikon D7200 does not exist in Adobes world yet). Hoping they can fix this soon as I have some client work to do this week

• 12. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                bluishbird Level 1

I had a shoot last night and ended up importing jpegs into Photoshop and then moving them into Lightroom. I hate jpegs. This sucks.

• 13. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                  kcossabo Level 1

this is crazy.  After reading jono64971679 posting I check. Set the camera to RAW + JPEG FINE and Lightroom will not see the JPEG.... WHAT THE!!!!!

If I use the new 'effects' and play with those that produce JPEG, LR5 does see them. Preview on OS X can read them but Lightroom can not? the NEF files show as 'preview unavailable' but the JPEG are not even showing up?

This has to be fixed.

JimHess - Not sure why I should PAY Adobe to not hurry to fix this. It is SOFTWARE!!! It blows me away that NIKON could not provide the format to ADOBE before the release of the camera, and the whole point of cloud and agile development is to permit quick changes.

I can use Nikon's 'Capture NX-D' to convert the NEF to JPEG and use iPhoto to manipulate them until Adobe get's their act together. I can imagine the MESS of having 3 months of 'jpeg' in the catalog, then try to bring in the RAW to do real touch ups, but you already did some to the JPEG.... AHHHHHHHHHHHH

this SUCKS

• 14. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure your LR Preferences has 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos.' The unsupported D7200 camera raw files won't import, but the camera JPEGs should.

• 15. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                      bluishbird Level 1

What a great suggestion! done. Thanks!

• 16. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.

Okay, have it your way. Every time someone purchases a brand-new camera we get someone like you who just doesn't get it. I think you will find you won't have the option of simply stopping your subscription for three months. It will be considered a cancellation, and you will probably be charged a cancellation penalty. But go ahead, give it a try.

• 17. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since LR can't import your D7200 NEFs I suggest using Windows Explorer, Finder, or Nikon software utility to initially move your memory card image files (NEF + JPEG) to hard drive. That way the NEF files will be added along with the JPEGs to the destination drive location. Next import the JPEGs using the LR Import module with 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos' checked in Preferences. Once LR supports the D7200 NEF use 'Synchronize folder' or the Import module to add the NEFs to LR's catalog. Check menu item Library>  'Show Photos in Subfolders' in the Library module, or 'Include Subfolders' in the Import module, and select the top-most folder that contains the D7200 NEFs. I create a top-level folder with the camera model name for each camera body (Canon 5D MKII, Canon 600D, etc.) and import memory card files into subfolders with name YY_MM_DD. That makes it easy to check for files that were previously added, but for some reason (like this one) not imported into LR.

• 18. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Why would Nikon supply the new file formats to a competing company? Next you will think that Canon does not have the same "problem" with its new camera releases.

Use Nikon's software to convert the NEFs to TIFs until Adobe updates its software.

• 19. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                              kcossabo Level 1

Though this is not productive, and to those on the thread, my apology, JimHessI have had the service for greater than a year and I am month to month  - so I would be surprised if there is a cancelation fee. With Respect To the 'do not get it' the camera is 2 days on the market, so yes, I do understand no support right now, but, as you stated in your earlier post, 'a couple of months' THAT is what I do not understand! I do not know if you work for Adobe, or just a user but that is where my comments started.

In My Humble Opinion 2-3 weeks, that is something understandable. Now, it is up to Adobe, a business, to make the decision of how many resources they put on this, and thus the timing. As a consumer the only 'vote' I have is my dollar!

The cloud market is great for companies that get a constant revenue stream to fund their business, verse perpetual licenses where they obtain lumps of business from upgrades. When they build a new version with enough value to drive their install base to move/pay for the next upgrade. To the consumer the value of the cloud, should be continues and timely enhancement and not waiting for long next release schedules. That is why over the next few years I will give more money to Adobe that buying perpetual licenses, the continues and timely updates.

I will let you have the last comment on this, as I am done on the negative side.

What is more useful is posts like trshaner who is showing novices like me how to continue to use the product through features in the product.

• 20. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                kcossabo Level 1

ManiacJoe , I did not think Nikon and Adobe to be competitors, but rather part of an ecosystem. If they are you are correct, why would the EVER provide it? My comments are just around the way I assumed the photography market worked, and I could be wrong, that the hardware manufactures rely on companies like Adobe and Apple, and Avid as part of an ecosystem. If that was the case, then I would think Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc would give prerelease information to Adobe under a NDA to help their product at launch.

I am a novice that just 12 months ago started to shoot in RAW. I heard it was better, and I feel that I have more control of the photos in LR5. I think this is a common belief. Now that I upgraded to the newest Nikon 7xxx series I have lost this capability for an unknown time frame, but one that was posted here as being MONTHS. I tweeted about the lack of support in Adobe LR5 and the Nikon D7200 last night in hopes that other consumers, looking at the camera do not get stung like I did. I traded  in a camera with a supported format of LR5 to one without. That is why I thought Nikon would cooperate with Adobe in a prerelease, so that they could SELL the new hardware faster!

The Nikon D7200 is a DX formatted non-PRO camera, but I would think support in LR5 would be a value to Nikon, not a competitive threat. They improved the sensor (from my D7000) and provide RAW capabilities, I am surprised to think that they do this in a hope that Adobe does not support this?

P.s. I write this in a HOPE that someone from Adobe reads these, as I can not change anything, just sit and wait.

• 21. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                  kcossabo Level 1

Thank you SIR!!! this is Perfect. Still SUCKS to not have RAW for a bit, but still being able to use the power of LR5 for the JPEG is great.

I greatly appreciate the help!

• 22. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                    DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

@kcossabo just some additional info, this is a user to user forum so the replies you get here are from users like yourself and not usually from Adobe staff. The info provided by Jim with respect to the time frame for updates to Lightroom and ACR is based on experience and past history. The attached screen capture should illustrate the history of Lightroom update over the past three / four years.

LightroomUpdates.jpg

• 23. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                      kcossabo Level 1

Thank you, I will continue to TWEET

• 24. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.

Adobe and Nikon are not necessarily competitors. But the fact is that considerations for Adobe are not in the Nikon plan. Adobe is just another company, part of which creates software that enables people to edit photos. Adobe must wait for cameras to be released and available to the public before they can create profiles for them. Nikon isn't concerned whether or not Adobe supports a camera. The big problem is that new models are being released constantly, and new models must be supported individually because it is the camera model that Lightroom uses to determine which profiles to make available. With new models being introduced almost daily now, it seems, it's impractical or even impossible for Adobe to provide immediate support. The update cycle for Lightroom and Camera Raw is approximately every three months. If cameras are introduced soon enough in that cycle they will be included in the next release. Otherwise it will have to be the next one. This isn't an Adobe problem as much as it is a problem with camera manufacturers being unwilling to adopt a standard format such as DNG. If the camera makers would do that then all this delay and customer frustration would simply go away.

• 25. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ManiacJoe , I did not think Nikon and Adobe to be competitors, but rather part of an ecosystem. If they are you are correct, why would the EVER provide it? My comments are just around the way I assumed the photography market worked, and I could be wrong, that the hardware manufactures rely on companies like Adobe and Apple, and Avid as part of an ecosystem. If that was the case, then I would think Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc would give prerelease information to Adobe under a NDA to help their product at launch.

Amazingly, Nikon and such see Adobe and others as competitors at the minimum and as best as pelts in their louse. They are still holding on to the crazy idea that they could get third party software makers to use their slow and black-box SDK to base their raw rendering off. So they do not like to provide prerelease info. Only the smaller camera makers provide prerelease info. You'll often see raw support for those before the newest camera is even released. For Nikon and Canon, Adobe actually has to buy a camera on the open market to profile it in their lab before there is raw support. Bad situation indeed but since it doesn't seem to the big camera makers that this hurts their camera sales they don't seem to understand that they could get a much better ecosystem by working with Adobe et al.

Simply reading the nef or cr2 file is not hard indeed but actually getting the color rendering correct is what takes time. You can hack your NEF from your 7200 files to identify as a D7100 and they will like work in Lightroom but the color might be somewhat off.

• 26. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.

Oh and one caution: There is a large chance that since no support showed up in ACR 8.8, there will be no support in LR 5.8. This means that one might have to go to LR 6 to get D7200 support natively since that could come out any time now.

• 27. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                              kcossabo Level 1

Well LR6 would be fine for me, as a cloud subscriber that would be fine, and once again a plus of the cloud, but right now, there is limited value in using LR5 and no Nikon D7200 RAW support. As an amateur on this, I am amazed that this is not more publicized that new cameras do not work for 1/4 of the year with Adobe? Kinda like a foot note on all the reviews of 'should you upgrade to D7200'.

Thank you for the note, my decision is pay $30 to wait, and use a crippled program (the only way I could see to put it, but I know it is not the software's fault, it is the adoption cycle), or drop the cloud, and resubscribe when they support my Camera? I would NOT today get Adobe Create Cloud for Photographers with this camera, so why keep it was my point, and the reason would be to access the old libraries I have.

I went from Aperture to Lightroom a year ago, and be curious on what Apple's new Photos will support. It might steal me back from Adobe, even though it will be feature lacking, the feature of supporting my camera is a BIG feature.

Once again, thank you all.

• 28. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.

Well LR6 would be fine for me, as a cloud subscriber that would be fine, and once again a plus of the cloud, but right now, there is limited value in using LR5 and no Nikon D7200 RAW support. As an amateur on this, I am amazed that this is not more publicized that new cameras do not work for 1/4 of the year with Adobe? Kinda like a foot note on all the reviews of 'should you upgrade to D7200'.

I would agree with this. There is no third party support whatsoever for these brand new cameras. Adobe is not the one to single out here as Aperture and every other raw converter doesn't support it either. This should be a main reason to wait to upgrade. It is widely reported on by the independent reviewers (e.g. Tom Hogan always notes it as a problem and he keeps railing on this as something Nikon gets wrong every time) but the sites that depend on sales somehow or are part of sales conglomerates do not draw attention to this.

I went from Aperture to Lightroom a year ago, and be curious on what Apple's new Photos will support. It might steal me back from Adobe, even though it will be feature lacking, the feature of supporting my camera is a BIG feature.

Apple adds support by updating the system raw conversion libraries, so Photos supports what Apple supports. Traditionally they have taken about twice as long as Adobe to add support for new cameras. You can see what they support currently here: OS X Yosemite: Supported digital camera RAW formats - Apple Support

• 29. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                  teslacoil_atx Level 1

As a workaround, I am using Capture NX-D to convert my D7200 NEF files to TIF and then importing the TIFs into Lightroom.  It is not ideal but this may bridge the gap for some.

• 30. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

kcossabo wrote:

I am a novice that just 12 months ago started to shoot in RAW. I heard it was better, and I feel that I have more control of the photos in LR5. I think this is a common belief. Now that I upgraded to the newest Nikon 7xxx series I have lost this capability for an unknown time frame, but one that was posted here as being MONTHS. I tweeted about the lack of support in Adobe LR5 and the Nikon D7200 last night in hopes that other consumers, looking at the camera do not get stung like I did. I traded  in a camera with a supported format of LR5 to one without. That is why I thought Nikon would cooperate with Adobe in a prerelease, so that they could SELL the new hardware faster!

The Nikon D7200 is a DX formatted non-PRO camera, but I would think support in LR5 would be a value to Nikon, not a competitive threat. They improved the sensor (from my D7000) and provide RAW capabilities, I am surprised to think that they do this in a hope that Adobe does not support this?

P.s. I write this in a HOPE that someone from Adobe reads these, as I can not change anything, just sit and wait.

Nikon and Adobe are competitors in that both companies produce software for the same purpose, to post-process Nikon-created images. Which company does a better job is a different conversation. :-)

Nikon never provides image data to Adobe. Adobe has to reverse engineer the software for each new camera. Ditto for Canon. Of course, Adobe has gotten pretty good at it over the years.

This happens every time a new camera body is released. After the new camera is officially released, Adobe and the other software makers create new raw-readers for the new camera and release a new version of their software a few months later after the beta-test cycle. Nikon does not play favorites with the software venders; none of them get any pre-release cameras to play with.

Nikon does license its SDK for tethering; Adobe is one of those customers. However, Nikon takes forever in adding new cameras to its SDK.

• 31. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                      Angelandbuffy Level 1

Even this doesn't work, I am not able to do anything with my NEF in NX-D

the image isn't showing in it,

grrrrrrrr

• 32. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                        jono64971679 Level 1

Same with me

My NX-D just crashes. Even tried uninstalling, then redownloading, and still crashes. I just gave up and am going to wait til adobe can update its systems.

• 33. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                          Angelandbuffy Level 1

It's a shame even the Nikon software doesn't support its own devices!!!!

Very unprofessional!!

• 34. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This may be a different issue than using a camera that is newer than your Adobe software, which is what this D7200 vs LR 5.7.1/ACR 8.8 is about...

Usually when Nikon software is having issues with an NEF it's because the file is corrupted.  The corruption can occur when you've used old Nikon software on new camera's files, which is easily accidental when you've had an older Nikon camera and still have its software on your computer.

To avoid this situation with new photos, don't touch them with older Nikon software, only the version that came with your newer camera, and if you're using Adobe products, then maybe no Nikon software at all.

There is a utility that can correct this corruption:

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

• 35. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                              Angelandbuffy Level 1

This is rubbish,

my software is always up to date,

and the files are NOT corrupted.

So I dit not use old software on my files.

I am not the only one with the same problem here.

• 36. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                                BigMouse Level 1

For those users of a newer models of a Nikon camera, including D7200...........................

Nikon's View NX-i software will be your best option until Adobe makes their updates available. It is very simple to open the nef files in view nx-i and convert to tif. Then import to Lightroom, PSE or PS and work what you wish.

Are those working in photography for money seriously shooting jpg?

View NX-i can be downloaded from the following link:

Nikon Imaging | Global Site | ViewNX-i

1 person found this helpful
                                                                                • 39. Re: LR 5.7 and Nikon D7200. unable to import NEF files.
                                                                                  teslacoil_atx Level 1

Angelandbuffy,

I saw the same problem and had to uninstall and reinstall several times.  I would recommend uninstalling, rebooting, install again from a clean boot with no applications open.

Even after the first install, I could see the images but could not convert them.  I am using Windows and not a Mac but your problem may be similar.

1 2 3 Previous Next