6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2015 8:47 AM by Peter Spier

Variable header for books

Jill Orr

I asked  this about a month ago and I’m still looking and hoping for an answer on the possibility:

I have a bunch of User Manuals set up as books with with the chapters as individual files.

Several chapters are being used in more than one book.

The challenge: Is there a way to set up a Variable Header to pick up the book name?

For example:

The footer has the file/chapter name: "Getting Started".

The header must reflect the book name, not the file/chapter:  "Installation Guide"

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Variable header for books
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your running header can be anything you want it to. Just set up a unique style name that is used ONLY the book title. Then set your running header to be based on that style. This one is based on the section header name, but you can define it as the style used in your book name.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 3.52.52 PM.png

• 2. Re: Variable header for books
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't think that's going to work. The text for the header must actually be in the document,on the same page or a previous page as the header, and as I read this, the book title does not appear.

• 3. Re: Variable header for books
              Jill Orr Level 1

That's what  was afraid of. I was hoping since in Cross references there is a way to point to files outside of  actual file there would be some kind of coding or work around someone figured out to point to a book.:-/

Disappointing because Adobe mentions in the book information a file can be used in multiple books.

• 4. Re: Variable header for books

A file can be used in multiple books with no problems (other than those you might introduce by synching styles with different definitions, but the same names, or synching the numbers), but you are asking to do something that is unsupported in any form.

Cross references could be set up t a single document that contains the text for a single book name, but, aside from the unreliability of cross-document cross-references, that isn't going to help you either since the reference would be an absolute link, not a variable that would change with the name of the book the file was currently residing in.

One thing that might work would be to make a "master file" that has no header info or page numbering. Instead of linking this file via the book panel, place the pages from the master file into multiple other documents as required, and add the headers and numbering in the files where you place them. They would behave in a manner similar to linked graphics. Edit the master, then update the links.

• 5. Re: Variable header for books
                  Jill Orr Level 1

linking the pages is brilliant. Thanks for the idea!

• 6. Re: Variable header for books

It's not quite as flexible, but ...