18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 1:30 PM by ManiacJoe

photos in  two places

magician john

Am I able to make a virtual copy or a copy of a photo and keep it in two places at the same time?

I have made a virtual copy and moved it and both original and copy have moved to the same folder.

I am trying to make a folder of "best of" so that I can sync to my ipad.

I originally thought that I would do this in the "Collection" panel as this in LR is the best of, but when I connect my ipad the Collection panel folders do not appear only those from the Folders panel.

Hope you can help me with this.

thank you

john

• 1. Re: photos in  two places
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Physically, the file can exist only in one place.

Any virtual copy is just a second reference to the same original file with a different edit history.

Your "best of" list is best done as a collection. Keep in mind that a collection is just an entry in the LR catalog database and does not exist on disk as a folder. For external apps and devices to see your "best of" collection, you need to export the collection. See also LR Mobile.

• 2. Re: photos in  two places
            magician john Level 1

ManiacJoe,

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

You say Export the photos, so would I be able to download the photos via Itunes once this has been done?

I don’t use wireless wifi so need to find a way to sync the photos mcu has I have previously been doing from Aperture to my ipad.

If so how would I go about doing so?

thanks

john

• 3. Re: photos in  two places
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have a creative cloud subscription?

• 4. Re: photos in  two places
                magician john Level 1

I do.

• 5. Re: photos in  two places
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Then there must be something I don't understand. If you have your Lightroom desktop program signed into the mobile features, all you should have to do is click on the little icon in the collections section to share their collection on your iPad.

Capture.JPG

• 6. Re: photos in  two places
                    magician john Level 1

Hi JimHess,

I do not have a wireless set up my Ipad is wired through my laptop and have sync my photos from Aperture that way.

• 7. Re: photos in  two places

If you are normally transferring the images to your iPad via the USB cable, you can do that with LR, too. Just export the photos from LR then copy them to the iPad.

• 8. Re: photos in  two places
                        magician john Level 1

Thanks

I have tried twice.

First time all my Aperture itune sync photos were replaced by the one from LR. should this happen? e.g. had 150 then just the one so can’t have both?

Second time, I got an error message that the file couldn’t be found.

Grateful for your further help as seem to be going backwards here.

john

• 9. Re: photos in  two places
                          magician john Level 1

ManiacJoe,

Are you able to help with my question or should I post it our to the Community?

thanks a lot

john

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re:  photos in  two places

Date: 27 March 2015 11:40:11 GMT

Cc: john long <john.long5@sky.com>

To: jive-1402220286-1rrti-2-4doh3@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com

Thanks

I have tried twice.

First time all my Aperture itune sync photos were replaced by the one from LR. should this happen? e.g. had 150 then just the one so can’t have both?

Second time, I got an error message that the file couldn’t be found.

Grateful for your further help as seem to be going backwards here.

john

>

• 10. Re: photos in  two places

It is not clear what you did. Can you take it step by step?

• 11. Re: photos in  two places

You are posting to the "community" as this is a web forum. It appears that you are just using email to read it.

;-)

• 12. Re: photos in  two places
                                magician john Level 1

I plug in my ipad to my laptop and iTunes opens up.

I select photos and in the drop down box there are options for iPhoto and Aperture and then another for Folders.

I select the Folders one and then find a Folder and click and open up and then "apply" or "sync" the photos in that Folder.

Under the Aperture heading I have the option to select which Project or Folder and can select any that exists. In the Non aperture option, I seem to have the option of just one Folder.

When I Apply/Sync the LR folder, (apart from only giving me the option to click on one folder), I then lose all the Aperture photos from my Ipad.

Obviously I want to have photos from various Folders on my ipad.

What's more is that the Collections panel does not come up so cannot create the "best of"  in the Collections section and get them onto my ipad or I haven't been able to do so far.

Maybe you will be able to help me.

• 13. Re: photos in  two places

Sounds like the iTunes software is placing limits on where images can be synced from. (My cell phone has similar limitations.)  While I do not have an iPad, nor use iTunes, I would try the following:

Create a directory on your computer that will hold all the photos you want to share with your iPad.

Copy all your existing photos from the iPad to this directory so that the sync does not remove them from the iPad.

In LR, export the photos you want to put on the iPad to this new directory, for example your "best of" collection.

Use iTunes to sync the photos to the iPad.

If the collections tab is missing from the left pane of the LR Library module, right-click on one of the tab titles to view it.

• 14. Re: photos in  two places
                                    magician john Level 1

thanks this could be helpful and maybe able to follow.

• 15. Re: photos in  two places
                                      magician john Level 1

When yo usa directory, presume this could be Folder?

Do I create the Folder in LR or finder?

Edit to say a jpeg and put in this folder say called "best of for ipad"?

Will the Original CR2 photo remain in its original place and I still be able to edit/print or whatever as before or will some restriction apply as I have edited it?

thanks

john

• 16. Re: photos in  two places

Yes, folder is another name for directory.

You will need to create the export folder "to ipad" in Finder.

Edit the image, export as jpg to the "to ipad" folder. The original file stays where it is, untouched.

When you edit an image in LR, you are not really changing the original image, like what Photoshop would do. LR does non-destructive editing by creating a list of instructions on HOW to edit the image and storing those instructions in a database (catalog). When you export the image, LR makes a temporary copy of the original, does the edit instructions on the copy, saves the changed copy as a JPG, then discards the temporary copy.

• 17. Re: photos in  two places
                                          magician john Level 1

Thanks very much.

I assume the original is left as a CR2/RAW/Dng file?

• 18. Re: photos in  two places

Yes. The original is never touched.