8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 8:17 PM by dissidently

Null object not centred, why?

dissidently Level 1

Create a null object and it's not centred to its location. Why?

Seems like that would be the most obvious position to put the visual representation of a null object. So the least likely place for Adobe to put it?

Or is there some logical reason?

• 1. Re: Null object not centred, why?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Null objects/ layers have always been a hack of sorts. They're basically just empty solids and well, since all image coordinates begin in the top left corner, so they do for Nulls. Maybe we all will get old enough to see a proper widget for this one day...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Null object not centred, why?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Having a null's anchor point at 0, 0 actually makes a lot of sense. The anchor point is centered in the composition window. If the anchor point  was centered on the half of the size of the null instead of the upper left corner some other things like snapping a parented layer to the null using modifier keys would not work.

I hope this makes sense. As with all layers, the anchor point is centered at the comp world center when the asset is created.

• 3. Re: Null object not centred, why?
              dissidently Level 1

Rick, all other apps that have Null objects use them far more wisely than Adobe does. Mylenium has confirmed my suspicion, that these things weren't thought through, simply created (probably in a panic or out of laziness) as a half way house to what Null objects actually can be.

I get your point about the anchor point, but that's not what I'm talking about. In ALL other apps with a Null object, the visual representation of that Null object is centred. There's a tonne of reasons to do that, and I'm not contending the placement of the Null objects "anchor", it's in the right spot. It's the visual representation of the Null object that's utterly wrong.

That it's a deformable visual representation only compounds this problem.

• 4. Re: Null object not centred, why?
                EchoOut Level 1

If it makes you more comfortable, just scale the Null to 1% and it will look like it does in other apps.

• 5. Re: Null object not centred, why?
                  bogiesan Level 4

dissidently wrote:

Rick, all other apps that have Null objects use them far more wisely than Adobe does. Mylenium has confirmed my suspicion, that these things weren't thought through, simply created (probably in a panic or out of laziness) as a half way house to what Null objects actually can be.

I get your point about the anchor point, but that's not what I'm talking about. In ALL other apps with a Null object, the visual representation of that Null object is centred. There's a tonne of reasons to do that, and I'm not contending the placement of the Null objects "anchor", it's in the right spot. It's the visual representation of the Null object that's utterly wrong.

That it's a deformable visual representation only compounds this problem.

Your usual presumptuous assumptions.

The null object was a remarkable improvement over how, in the olden days, we created invisibly small or transparent objects to do roughly the same thing.AE's were the first nulls I ever encountered. I learned how to use them when introduced and never really thought about how they might have been better. AE's nulls made perfectly good sense to me. And I don't use the other applications you are alluding to so I don't really need AE's null to be any different. I have, more than once, moved the null's anchor to its geometric center to help my project contributors grasp the concept. But they had no prior experience with nulls, either, so once they got it, I moved things back to their default because that works for me. Why are you still using After Effects?

• 6. Re: Null object not centred, why?
                    DigitalSpatula Adobe Community Professional

If you really want to have the anchor point centered on the null, just turn on snapping, hit the Y key to activate the anchor point tool, drag the anchor point to the center where it snaps in place, then hit the P key to open the position parameter, then right click and select reset. This takes about 4 seconds.

But I do agree. I would love to see the anchor point on everything in the center. At least give us a preference to support that default behavior.

Thanks,

Steve

• 7. Re: Null object not centred, why?
                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

I was wondering if there was any logically genius reason that nulls have their anchor points in the upper left corner rather than the center.  For awhile I would use the move anchor point script to center the anchor point and the the align tool to center it....it just made me brain happier.  Then I accepted the fact that it doesn't really matter but I have always wondered if there was some advantage to having it that way that I was just too dumb to recognize.  Honestly though....based on the "improvements" that have been in 2015 I'd prefer they leave it the way it is..if they try to center nulls they might break the ability to save projects or something.  Just kidding (sorta)

• 8. Re: Null object not centred, why?
                        dissidently Level 1

You make a very good point.

I submit that we should as for nothing to be fixed, ever, for fear of something that currently works becoming broken. CC 2015 has been a learning experience. I've learnt that CS6 works really well.