6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2015 8:45 AM by andygrogan

text squashed in epub

andygrogan

Hi

I'm exporting my book from InDesign CC 2014 to fixed layout epub, but some of the text gets squished together (or spaces seem to be left out)
      I have removed overrides and tried different fonts to no avail. Any ideas?

Andy Grogan - An Accidental Encyclopedia of Web & UX Design

• 1. Re: text squashed in epub
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Check it out in iBooks or Readium for Chrome. If it works there, it's the reader app you're using.

• 2. Re: text squashed in epub
            andygrogan Level 1

Great! Thanks! - Works like a dream in Readium. That's a load off! Hope it works as well when converted to mobi.

Andy Grogan - An Accidental Encyclopedia of Web & UX Design

• 3. Re: text squashed in epub

MOBI? I think you’re going to be in for disappointment.

• 4. Re: text squashed in epub
                andygrogan Level 1

WOW! - That is staggering! - This is like working in the 1980's with technology. Everything is so BAD! With every on-line or off-line tool I use I get completely different results.

But its not stuff like text wrap around images or subtle kerning in titles - that I gave up long ago - its words missing - spaces missing - things just completely, illegible wrong!

How can I produce something that I can assume will be consistent and of even minimal acceptable quality? I've even been reduced to using Verdana.

I'm out of words!!! I don't even know where to begin.
                Sorry, this is not a rant against InDesign - it's just staggering in this day and age that files for an e-reader is so- primitive!

• 5. Re: text squashed in epub

You need to get on Amazon's case about this.

I think you'll see more readers this year, though.

• 6. Re: text squashed in epub
                    andygrogan Level 1

Actually I'm making some head way. I had a lot of style overrides (found them using a script from Indiscript) - rookie mistake - getting rid of them and having everything style driven cleared up a lot.

Now I'm simplifying the design (oh well, something is better than nothing...) so I think it might just work.

Also discovered that importing into iBooks as a IDML instead of ePub makes a huge difference as well.

Slowly but surely. Reminds me of the problems with font conflicts in the 1990's. Some things you just don't want to be nostalgic about.

Thanks for you help Bob.