4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2015 6:10 PM by StreetSongs

How to solve "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"?

StreetSongs

Hi all,

I've just started using a new computer with WIndows 8.1 within the last week and have loaded my Adobe Premiere Elements 11.0 software into it.

In trying to view and edit a video I created on my old computer, I got "Media Pending" and "Media Offline" notices as soon as I began. The source files are located on an external drive with a permanent letter designation. I began the process of reconnecting my Project Assets files with the source files this morning, but have now encountered a new roadblock. Each time I try, I get the message "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed." It offers no information or options other than to click "OK," which is not very helpful.

All the source files are located in one folder on my external drive. I have been able to reconnect the JPEGs and the mp3 source files but not the AVI video files.

Here are three screenshots. The first is the "Media Offline" message, the second is the message I receive when I try to reconnect my Project Assets to the source files and the third is a screenshot of the codecs installed on the new computer.

Media Offline screenshot #1.JPG

File offline - Rockabye - file failure.JPG

Codecs WMP.JPG

Here is my new computer information:

Model: Del Inspiron 3847

Intel Core i5-4460

CPU @ 3.20 GHz  3.20 GHz

RAM 8 GB

System type: 64-bit, x64-based processor

I hope someone can guide me. What do I need to do to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Message was edited by: Janie Christensen Ficara

• 1. Re: How to solve "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Thank your for the information supplied.

But, what are the properties of this .avi file that you seek?

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Right now of prime interest is the video compression that is being wrapped by that AVI wrapper/container.

AVCHD.avi

MotionJPEG.avi

XviD.avi

DviX.avi

other

There are instances were a particular video compression or a particular container/wrapper format is each supported by Premiere Elements, but

not a combo of those particular two. But, in this instance, I suspect this to be a MotionJPEG video codec issue, but your details will

point us to the actual situation, and we will plan troubleshooting strategy from there.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to solve "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"?
            StreetSongs Level 1

Thank you so much for your quick response, ATR. As it turns out, I may have almost accidentally solved the problem just now. I read on another forum that a user with the same error message was able to solve it by downloading Apple Quicktime, which must supply the missing codec. I tried that and restarted my computer, and now the video is viewable and editable. I'm glad but also mystified, because it just seems like random luck that I got it to work, rather than a logical solution.

These AVI files worked find in PrE 11 in my old computer where this video was created, so it's possible one of my other programs on that computer was supplying the codec.

I don't have time now to see if this has resulted in a durable fix, but I'll try to spend time with it later, and if everything is working properly I'll mark this one solved. Thank you once again!

• 3. Re: How to solve "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

StreetSongs

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that your .avi non support issue seems to be resolved.

Latest version QuickTime installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements is a requirement. But

it is not clear to me how the .avi non support relates to QuickTime install. Please post again if any further

developments in this matter.

Nonetheless, the great news is that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Great

job in sorting through the issue and gaining success.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: How to solve "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"?
                StreetSongs Level 1

Thank you for the support, ATR. I didn't get a chance to work with the files tonight as I had hoped (another project has taken over my time) but I will report back if anything further develops, in case it's helpful to someone else.

All the best,

Janie (StreetSongs)