5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 1:28 AM by JFPhoton

Mercury Playback Engine OpenCL not available for Intel HD Graphics 4600 (and it should be)

Daveid

Hello,

TL;DR - I work for a local community media center and we purchased a whole floor of Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 machines. OpenCL is not available in Premiere, but is in other commercial software (Sony Vegas Pro 13)

Specs are as follows:

Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise 64-bit

Intel Core i3 4330 @ 3.50GHz

8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 1600 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 4600

120GB Solid State Disk (SSD)

These machines have plenty of horsepower for basic video editing. The idea is that students and members can do their basic editing on these machines, and render them out on our more powerful server.

However, GPUsniffer is not reporting the correct amount of memory, and thus is not being utilized. According to my research, it seems Adobe is using CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE as a method of detecting available memory, which has been known to only report 1/4 the available memory on certain devices. clGetDeviceInfo with CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE ... | AMD Developer Forums

Not too long ago, a user with a Xeon P4600 came into this forum with the same problem, and the P4600 is advertised to be compliant with Adobe software!
      Intel Pro Graphics P4600 Xeon 1246v3 GPU acceleration OpenCL in Premiere, possible???

gpusniffer.PNGGPUcaps.PNG

The BIOS is currently set to use at least 1024MB as VRAM and DirectX/Windows is reporting a number even higher than that.
      DirectX.PNGIntelHDAdapter.PNG

The driver is current, March 3rd 2015, so I can't update any further.
      IntelHDDriver.PNG

What is the solution here? Adobe issuing a patch? Users hacking the software? Intel releasing a new driver?
      This should not just be accepted and shoved under the rug because "CUDA performs better, buy discrete". For non-profit organizations, budget minded projects should be able to maximize their dollar accordingly, not be given an artificial limit.

Thank you for your help, feedback, and any suggestions you can give.

• 1. Re: Mercury Playback Engine OpenCL not available for Intel HD Graphics 4600 (and it should be)
          JFPhoton Level 3

Although not as expert as some here on this forum, I have been following the good advice of Bill Gehrke and Harm Millard in choosing hardware according to their testing and experience. To successfully edit current, mainstream material, ( at least 1080p HD video....not to mention other, higher resolution formats)... it is generally well known that in a MOBILE machine, the following is required for use with Premiere Pro as a MINIMUM...( I know your machines are towers for desktop use ) :

1. An i7 CPU....the current 4XXX mobile series Haswells are very good....the multi-threading and instruction set of the i7 CPUs are a minimum requirement. The i3s and i5s which have been tested for performance on the PPBM 5, (6,7,or now 8) website are way behind in performance to a mobile i7 and NOT recommended.....despite whatever Adobe claims. I started years ago with a "core 2 duo", which at the time Adobe said would work.....what a JOKE !!!  It was like MOLASSES and I wound up transcoding everything just to HOPE to edit. In video editing, the CPU is KING...the more cores and the higher the clock speed, the better. Intel ONLY is recommended, ATI LACKS the necessary instruction set to provide good performance.

2. A DEDICATED Nvidia ONLY GPU that has at LEAST 1GB of video memory, ( or "Mercury Playback" will be locked in "software mode" only because GPU will NOT be enabled.).FORGET "integrated graphics"....it is much too weak for a pro program like PPro that ACCELERATES  the playback and rendering of previews by a factor of TEN TIMES when using GPU accelerated effects and certain other operations on the timeline like scaling. Forget ATI as PPro is OPTIMIZED for "CUDA", which is NVidia ONLY....." Open CL" IS supported by PPro,but, the performance of it is FAR below that of CUDA.

3.Currently, because of improvements to PPro itself 32 GB of system memory is recommended in a laptop, however, mine has 24 and is doing fine...I can say I have seen memory usage go over 20GB working on some multi-tracked video 1080p timelines, so even 16 GB is currently marginal.....8 is NOT recommended.

4. A FAST storage system is needed not to "bottleneck" the machine while trying to edit,playback, render previews,or, encode video. Currently, SATA III SSDs with the proper CONTROLLER for handling "incompressible data" like digital video are being used....the old spinning HDDs are just TOO SLOW. Some new mobile machines are equipped with "M.2" SSDs which connect DIRECTLY to the PCI bus and offer incredible speed of over 1GB per second sequential transfer rate. In THAT case EVERYTHING could go on just ONE drive : OS, page file, programs, media, cache files, project files, and previews. MOST TIMES a newer laptop should have at least TWO internal 2.5" drive bays because PPro NEEDS at least two separate drives to function properly, ( unless you have the Samsung XP 941 PCI SSD ). You would want ONE drive for OS, programs and page file......the rest, ( i.e. media and all else), would go on the SECOND drive. Crucial M550s are recommended as they cheaper than the best Samsung 850 Pro series drives,but, have almost equal performance and the RIGHT controller for video.

In short, a solid gaming laptop by Asus, or, MSI and others offers the hardware you need in an all inclusive package for much cheaper than a desktop machine.....however, even fully upgraded laptops will be 3 times slower than a fast Haswell E desktop system which can cost 3 to 6 thousand dollars!! I got my Asus i7 G750JW last year REFURBISHED for $850...about $500 less than full retail. I am seeing currently NEWER machines with FAR BETTER Nvidia mobile GPUs and faster Haswell CPUs going for around $1,100 new. Usually, you would have to add memory and replace a crappy included hard drive with 2 SSDs....that would add another 5 to 6 hundred if you do the upgrades your self vs. buying it already upgraded for even more.

I just looked at the Lenovo TS140 tower specs and I believe that machine is WOEFULLY inadequate for any current video editing using PPro....there is a HUGE difference between EDITING video and just PLAYING video. The i3 has only 4 threads vs. 8 on an i7 Haswell. These Lenovo towers are just TOO CHEAP at $247 each for ANY use with a pro editing software program...RETURN THEM !!

• 2. Re: Mercury Playback Engine OpenCL not available for Intel HD Graphics 4600 (and it should be)
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

The reason that you cannot use your Intel graphics is given for you in your first graphic

See that it was not chosen because it does not have enough video RAM  I believe the required video RAM is something like 768 MB.  There does seem to be a difference of opinion between different views but the final arbiter for Adobe is the gpusniffer.

• 3. Re: Mercury Playback Engine OpenCL not available for Intel HD Graphics 4600 (and it should be)
              Daveid Level 1

I understand why it's not working, but I am arguing that it should work. 1024MB of VRAM is selected in the BIOS, and Windows is detecting much more available for 3D applications (1824 & 1792). The incorrect VRAM in GPUsniffer could be an OpenCL bug, Adobe or Intel's fault. If there was an override option, I believe the Intel HD Graphics would accelerate the basic effects just fine (color correction, etc).

No-one is arguing that you have to spend a lot of money to make "Movie Quality" productions, but now that Premiere Pro is offered in educational packages, it should be programmed to use 100% of a consumer's machine.

I know this is an Adobe forum and I will try to keep this Adobe specific, but both MAGIX Pro X6 and Sony Vegas Pro 13 accelerated a 4K timeline at 24fps with no dropped frames on this platform. They are both using Intel Quick Sync and OpenCL.

• 4. Re: Mercury Playback Engine OpenCL not available for Intel HD Graphics 4600 (and it should be)
                Daveid Level 1

Thank you for your feedback, and I absolutely 100% agree with everything you said except the last statement. Yes, more money and better equipment is absolutely essential to achieve high quality studio production. However, these are cheap machines for educational purposes, and they serve their function on a budget. We already have a workstation PC with Quadro cards available for the final render. Intel Quick Sync is amazing when utilized in applications, beating mid-tier CUDA cards in every test I can find.

The point is, as I have tested with evaluation copies I have acquired after encountering this issue in Premeire, both MAGIX Pro X6 and Sony Vegas Pro 13 accelerated a 4K timeline at 24fps with no dropped frames on this platform.
                They are both using
                Intel Quick Sync and OpenCL.

35054.pngmedia.png
                Intel Quick Sync Video Transcoding versus CUDA & CPU Alone NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

• 5. Re: Mercury Playback Engine OpenCL not available for Intel HD Graphics 4600 (and it should be)
                  JFPhoton Level 3

With PPro, video encoding does NOT use the CUDA GPU anyway....this is still a CPU only operation except when there are CUDA accelerated effects on the timeline,or, scaling ...then, the GPU will assist.  A couple of years ago I asked about Quick Synch here on this forum and whether it could somehow be used by PPro and was told it was not supported,but, a temporary developer kit had been developed for trying to use Quick Synch, and then it was abandoned.  It seems there was a deliberate focus on CUDA with NVidia only by Adobe.

I visited the videolink and saw the use of a third party program to encode the .MOV Apple files. Recently Adobe fixed a bugaboo where .MOV files caused PPro to trigger a 32 bit Quicktime process during editing. This screwed up the native 64bit PPro by limiting memory use to 4GB and other maladies....with CCloud, it has been fixed.

So, if those inexpensive towers can actually edit current, demanding codecs and encode better with other software....that may be the answer. It is hard for me to believe it knowing the beefy hardware that PPro requires to actually run smooth. My older i7 laptop often struggled...I had to transcode often to cineform ,or, DNxHD intermediate codecs...and that was with 1.5 GB of DDR5 video memory on the NVidia CUDA GPU and an i7 with 8 threads running turbo at 2.4 Ghz and 14 GB system memory. !! My current Haswell i7 laptop breezes through the native footage without transcoding, with 24 gigs of system memory, CPU turboing at 3.4 Ghz, and 2 GB video memory on the 765M NVidia GPU....some of the improvement is due to improvements made to PPro itself in the newer CC versions.

It appears as long as "GPU Sniffer" limits the recognized video memory to be under the 768MB threshold, the GPU will not be utilized. If Adobe Media Encoder was able to use Quick Synch that definitely would help many users like yourself, for sure......but, I doubt it does,or, will....too bad.