3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2015 8:35 AM by EchoOut

What is the typical drive setup for after effects?

cck9791

I have been using this method as long as I can remember:

- 500gb ssd for running the application

- 1tb portable hard drive with 100gb reserved for cache

- 64gb usb 3.0 flashdrive for source and project files

- 1tb 5400rpm hhd in external enclosure with 3.0 connection for render output path

Is there anything I should change with this current setup? Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: What is the typical drive setup for after effects?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not clear what you are asking. There is no "typical" setup for these things and whatever works, works. The only sticking point is that you are using external drives for everything, which limits bandwidth due to their sharing the same data buses, so in the end there's probably potential there to improve performance, but without knowing anything about your work or the exact system specs nobody can tell you that. It may not be relevant at all.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: What is the typical drive setup for after effects?
            cck9791 Level 1

My apologies for not being clear. I have a laptop with theses specs:

Intel core i7 4700MQ @2.4ghz quad core

12gb ram

Nvidia gt 740m

Windows 7 Professional

500gb Samsung Evo 850 ssd

I was just wondering what I could manage with my setup. All I have are those external drives, so would it be better to just put everything on my ssd or would it still be faster to use the external drives? Also, if it is better to split things between those drives, should I change what should go on each drive (from what I originally put) to maximize performance?

I use after effects generally for videos with audio spectrums, particle world, glow, blurs, etc.

• 3. Re: What is the typical drive setup for after effects?
              EchoOut Level 1

I personally use an SSD system drive, SSD scratch drive for the Disk Cache and render to a RAID. But as was said, there's a lot of ways to handle it. I do find the SSD scratch drive to make a big difference.

Back up the important stuff whatever you do.