6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 5:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

Poor Output Quality DVD vs. Mpeg

fader5

I recently scanned some slides at 360 dpi to a 4 by 6 size when I place them in the timeline they looked perfect. When I burned a DVD the quality was off a little bit especially at 1080p. When I exported as a computer file " MPEG HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality " and played it on the TV it was perfect...any suggestions why the DVD output quality was a little off  (faces appears to be mottled and lines are pixelated).

I've tried different project settings and the results are the same except anything that's interlaced seems worse, more pixelated.

The Properties for most of the slides are as follows

Type:Jpeg

File size: 1.8mb ( and higher )

image size: 2159 x1439

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Bill

• 1. Re: Poor Output Quality DVD vs. Mpeg
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, it could be that 1080p is 1080p while DVDs are 720i -- which means that each scan of a 1080p video has has 2,073,600 pixels while each scan of a DVD will have 172,800 pixels -- or 345,600 pixels if you're comparing one frame of DVD to one frame of 1080p.

That's hardly an apples to apples comparison!

To do a fair comparison, you should compare a frame of a DVD with an MPEG output at 720x480 60i.

• 2. Re: Poor Output Quality DVD vs. Mpeg
            whsprague Level 4

Hopefully adding a little to Mr. Grisetti's explanation.....

Try making an "AVCHD Disc" instead of a DVD.  If you slide show is less than about 25 minutes, the AVCHD Disk will be at 1920x1080 to match HD TVs.  The key advantages are that you can burn it on a cheap DVD disk, you use an ordinary DVD burner and it plays in HD on an ordinary Blu-Ray player as if it was a smaller version of a Blu-Ray disc.

(Publish&Share > Disc > AVCHD instead of DVD)

Good luck!

Bill

• 3. Re: Poor Output Quality DVD vs. Mpeg
              A.T. Romano Level 7

fader5

Could you please clarify your question and its details because I am reading your details as 1080p formats as AVCHD DVD versus HD MPEG2.mpg file.

I am interpreting your question with no involvement of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

I think that you have burned some photos in Premiere Elements

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

with Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby

and would like to see a bit "better" when at playback on your TV's player.

The following

• When I burned a DVD the quality was off a little bit especially at 1080p
              • same except anything that's interlaced seems worse, more pixelated

forces my focus away from

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

where there are no progressive offerings, just interlaced ones.

I am assuming that your player is a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of the multi media players that supports AVCHD DVD.

Now when you export the Timeline content to file

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = HDTV 1080p29.97, the MPEG2.mpg that you obtain displays better on your TV. What is the MPEG2.mpg on...USB Flash

Drive or memory card?

Please review and consider and clarify. Please excuse if I have misinterpreted your question. If I read it correctly, then I will offer comments

for the possible whys.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Poor Output Quality DVD vs. Mpeg

So, as you can see, William, it all depends on whether you are talking about resolution and interlacing (my point), as in DVD vs. 1080p, or whether you are talking about DVD vs BluRay (ATR's point).

So please indicate in your response which of us you want to respond to.

• 5. Re: Poor Output Quality DVD vs. Mpeg
                  whsprague Level 4

Steve Grisetti wrote:

So, as you can see, William...

The OP, "fader5" signed as Bill.  I, William Sprague, also signed as Bill. 

I think your answer explaining DVD resolution was perfectly correct with out any confusion. 

If the first Bill tries an AVCHD Disc, he should be fine.  Or he can continue with playing his MPEG as a file on a CD or DVD in a Blu-Ray player.  I have a ten year old BD player that won't do that and a 5 year old one that will.  Both play AVCHD discs.

(The Second) Bill (In This Thread)

• 6. Re: Poor Output Quality DVD vs. Mpeg

Just as in my real life -- too many "bills".