5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2015 12:01 PM by DanSantee

D7200

glbuzzell

Just received the new Nikon d7200 and neither LR or PS recognizes my raw files. Message in LR says "These files are not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom (23)". Camera still saves files as .nef just like the d7100.  I am using the latest versions of both LR and PS (Creative Cloud) and everything says I have the latest updates. I suspect that the camera is not yet supported. If that is the case, how long does it take Adobe to support a camera and is there a workaround? Thanks.

• 1. Re: D7200
          dj_paige Level 9

The usual product cycle for Adobe has been approx 3 months. So you might expect the next version of LR to support this camera, and be released about 3 months from when Lightroom 5.7 was released. No guarantees.

• 2. Re: D7200
            KDomke

The camera does not actually saves its images in the same file format. They use the same .NEF ending since their very early DSLR-Cameras. (From the beginning? I don't know, my first was the D50)

Inside there is a lot of meta data (propably the same as in the d7100 format and many others as well) and the block of image data from the sensor. And this part differs from camera to camera.

TL;DR: Even though it is the same ending does not mean it is the same format.

• 3. Re: D7200
              michas_spell Level 1

Here's my workaround until Adobe has time to create support:

I use Nikon's Capture NX-D which I downloaded for free from Nikon's site. Easy install and reads the 7200's RAW files just fine. It's a bit clunkier to me than CameraRAW but that could just be a learning curve/familiarity issue more than anything. Capture seems to do an okay job of processing the RAW files and most of the familiar tools are there but honestly I've done very little RAW editing with the software. Instead what I do is make sure the image is not too far off in any particular direction but is instead fairly well exposed. If not perfectly, right? From there I use the NX-D to convert the RAW file to a TIF as has been suggested by others. Then I open Adobe Bridge CS6 and point it at the folder containing these newly created TIFs. Once those Tifs are up on the board in Bridge I right click on the one I want to work with and instruct the software to 'open in CameraRAW' and viola! My TIF is now open in CameraRAW and I can use all the tools as if I were working with a DNG or NEF. Once to this point the workflow goes back to normal.

• 4. Re: D7200
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

KDomke wrote:

TL;DR: Even though it is the same ending does not mean it is the same format.

Indeed. It baffles me that people seem to struggle with this.

Back in the day when I shot Nikon, I used a D70 for a little while: it produced a NEF - all 6mp of it. According to the "logic", that would mean the files it produced are exactly the same as the 36mp files that come from the D810, because they're NEFs too.

It's like concluding that a Citroen 2CV and a Bugatti Veyron are the same because they're both cars...

• 5. Re: D7200
                  DanSantee

The sensor/processor combo in the D7200 is very similar to the D5300, so I created a little drag-and-drop utility for Windows which modifies the EXIF data on the D7200 raw files to work in Lightroom. It's a bit of a hack, but it works:

Nikon D7200 NEF Compatibility