10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2007 8:44 PM by Newsgroup_User

Xtra not working

jkgiven
      I'm sorry, I know this has been asked and answered (I'm smart enough to look through the history with a search). But I still don't know how to fix my problem. I'm getting the "This application requires an extra (impressario..) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly. Please make sure the appropriate xtras are in the xtras folder." error message.

I have an xtras folder located one level below the root folder (where my movies and casts are located).
      Impressario is in the folder.
      If I open the modify -> movie -> xtras I see the impressario.x32 in the list

I really have no idea of what to try, please help.
        • 1. Re: Xtra not working
          Level 7
          jkgiven wrote:

> I'm getting the "This application requires an extra (impressario..)
          > that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly. Please make sure
          > the appropriate xtras are in the xtras folder." error message.
          >
          > I have an xtras folder located one level below the root folder (where my
          > movies and casts are located).
          > Impressario is in the folder.
          > If I open the modify -> movie -> xtras I see the impressario.x32 in the
          > list

Hi,

I'll cover the full answer to this question but perhaps the end bit will be
          what's wrong in your case.

I have a tutorial on creating a stub projector at:
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/publishing/projector.asp

The tut covers the use of Xtras. You can bundle your Xtras in 2 ways
          1. Embed the Xtra into the projector
          2. Have it as an external file in an Xtras folder.

When you modify -> movie -> xtras and see the impressario.x32, that does not
          mean the Xtra is automatically embedded in your file. First, click on the
          impressario.x32 in the list and make sure 'Include in Projector' is ticked. Then
          go to File > Publish Settings and click on see if the Exclude all Xtras box is
          ticked. If it is, then your projector will not embed any of the Xtras listed in
          the previous window. If it is unchecked, your Xtras will be embedded (providing
          you had the Include in Projector ticked).

If you want to keep your Xtras external, you create a folder called Xtras in teh
          same location as the projector, and you copy all the necessary x32 files in
          there. This folder needs to be at the same level as your projector.

Lastly, for some Xtras, like Impressario, you may need to include DLL files in
          addition to the X32 files. Those need to be in the Xtras folder too. Add the
          Libraries folder, which should be at:
          C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Director MX
          2004\Configuration\Xtras\Impressario\Runtime\Libraries
          to the Xtras folder
          You can delete all the non-dll files.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 2. Re: Xtra not working
            jkgiven Level 1
            I'm getting nowhere - FAST!
            I haven't touched Director in nearly 2 years - so I'm sure this enters into it. I'm still running v8.5 not MX
            I have a small projector that loads up first - it does not link to or need the impressario xtra in it. Following this projector all movies need and contain the xtra (in the modify -> movie -> xtras list. The impressario xtra is in the xtras folder, with a subdirectory of libs underneath it containing .dll files.
            Yet whenever I attempt to create projector it says it can't find the impressario xtra.

I really need help/advice/guidance on this - If I can provide more information please just ask. I'm so lost.
            • 3. Re: Xtra not working
              Level 7
              "jkgiven" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> posted in
              macromedia.director.basics:

> I have a small projector that loads up first - it does not link to or
              > need the
              > impressario xtra in it. Following this projector all movies need and
              > contain the xtra (in the modify -> movie -> xtras list. The impressario
              > xtra is in the xtras folder, with a subdirectory of libs underneath it
              > containing .dll files.
              > Yet whenever I attempt to create projector it says it can't find the
              > impressario xtra.

The Xtras are loaded only by the projector. The Xtras folder should be in the
              same folder as the projector itself.

projector.exe
              Xtras
              fileio.x32
              someXtra.x32

When using an external Xtras folder, make certain that modify -> movie ->
              xtras list has all Xtras unchecked to "include in projector" - for the
              movie used to create the projector.

Setting the modify -> movie -> xtras list for any Dir files not used to
              create the projector will have no effect.

HTH

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              Keep-On-Learnin' :)
              • 4. Re: Xtra not working
                Level 7
                Hi jk,

I left out a word in my last reply that may have made it more confusing. However,
                since you're using Director 8.5, the Publish Settings I cover in my tutorial are
                not applicable to how you'd do things.

As Mark explained, it does not really matter if it's only the second or third movie
                that requires the Xtra. You need to load the Xtra right at the start. So, if you've
                created a projector and that links to movies in a subfolder, the Xtras folder need
                to be at the projector level, not at the level of the movies that use them.

Again following and expanding on Mark's example:
                projector.exe
                Xtras
                fileio.x32
                someXtra.x32
                Libraries
                DL6ACE.dll
                DL6AGM.dll
                MoviesFolder
                movie1.dxr
                movie2.dxr

If you're embedding Xtras into the projector, then you need to open the movie that
                will be used to create the projector. Then go to Modify > Movie > Xtras and add all
                the xtras used in subsequent movies.

Hope that helps.

regards
                Dean

• 5. Re: Xtra not working
                  Level 7
                  Oops, just in case I confused you by my layout, the Movies Folder does not have to be
                  in the Xtras folder as I illustrated. It can be:

projector.exe
                  Xtras
                  fileio.x32
                  someXtra.x32
                  Libraries
                  DL6ACE.dll
                  DL6AGM.dll
                  MoviesFolder
                  movie1.dxr
                  movie2.dxr

regards
                  Dean

• 6. Re: Xtra not working
                    Level 7
                    Dean Utian <d.utian@unsw.edu.au> posted in macromedia.director.basics:

> Oops, just in case I confused you by my layout, the Movies Folder does
                    > not have to be in the Xtras folder as I illustrated. It can be:
                    >
                    > projector.exe
                    > Xtras
                    > fileio.x32
                    > someXtra.x32
                    > Libraries
                    > DL6ACE.dll
                    > DL6AGM.dll
                    > MoviesFolder
                    > movie1.dxr
                    > movie2.dxr

I meant to show a similar structure, but my subfolders must have gotten lost
                    in some quick edits before hitting send.

Thanks for filling in the blanks. However, since the OP is using the Web
                    forum, I thought I'd take a look there and, sure enough, all our spaces are
                    gone. Here's a (hopefully) Web-friendly version:

|-Disc
                    | projector.exe
                    |--Xtras
                    |---| fileio.x32
                    |---| someXtra.x32
                    |---|--LibrariesFolder
                    |---|---| DL6ACE.dll
                    |---|---| DL6AGM.dll
                    |--MoviesFolder
                    |--| movie1.dxr
                    |--| movie1.dxr

--
                    Mark A. Boyd
                    Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                    • 7. Re: Xtra not working
                      Level 7

"Mark A. Boyd" wrote:

> However, since the OP is using the Web
                      > forum, I thought I'd take a look there and, sure enough, all our spaces are
                      > gone.

Thanks for checking that Mark. Didn't think that the web version would look
                      different.

regards
                      Dean

• 8. Re: Xtra not working
                        jkgiven Level 1
                        Following your directions (and what little I remembered) I still think everything was in place as it should be and should have worked. However, I finally gave up and downloaded/installed trial copy of newest version. This seemed to take care of my issues.

SO... let me thank each of you for taking the time to try and help me out, I greatly appreciate it.
                        • 9. Re: Xtra not working
                          jkgiven Level 1
                          FOLLOW UP QUESTION - Ok things are working for me now as expected.... except for one thing.... Library / Inm Impressario Tools / Standard Behaviors / print - it doesn't print for me. Does the print behaviour work in the 30 day trial?
                          • 10. Re: Xtra not working
                            Level 7
                            jkgiven wrote:

> FOLLOW UP QUESTION - Ok things are working for me now as expected.... except
                            > for one thing.... Library / Inm Impressario Tools / Standard Behaviors / print
                            > - it doesn't print for me. Does the print behaviour work in the 30 day trial?

Behaviors should work in a trial version. Only thing that I can think of is that
                            maybe some code in the behaviors is a bit dated. Look at INM's site and see if
                            there are any updated behaviors.

regards
                            Dean