19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 7:46 AM by Bill Gehrke

Advice on CC PC build

kaganplant

Hi there,

After much research, including a lot of trawling through these forums for info and pointers, I have finalised a prospective PC build.
      The things I will be doing on this PC are; converting old VHS tapes/minI DV to DVD, bulk home-movie editing, wedding videography, DSLR film making and graphic design. I will mainly be using Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects. Aside from the obvious storage demands, I hope to achieve decent render times and a smooth editing workflow (minimal dropped frames when previewing effects-laden video). Below is my prospective build. (BUDGET <£800)

CPU - AMD FX 8350 AM3+ = £125.99

AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail B…

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS M5A97 EVO 970 = £70

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 970, SB950, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, 2 x eS-ATA, 2 x USB 3.0, Socket AM3+): Amazon.co.…

GRAPHICS CARD - ASUS GTX 760 GDDR5 = £168.80

Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

HARD DRIVE - WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 3.5inch CAVIAR BLUE (x2) = £42.97 (x2)

WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE - SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB = £80.98

Samsung 2.5-Inch 250 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

PSU - CORSAIR CXM 600W MODULAR 80 = £60

Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

RAM - HYPERX FURY CL10 16GB = £99.95

HyperX FURY Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Red: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessori…

OPTICAL DRIVE - SAMSUNG 24X RETAIL SATA DVD WRITER = £12.99

Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

CASE - ??

COOLER - COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO = £24.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TOTAL APPROX £730.

I have gone for an SSD for my OS and programs, and 2 HDD (one for input, one for output). This build, I hope, will give me a good combination of storage and speed (the card will support mercury playback engine).

Any advice, tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! 

• 1. Re: Advice on CC PC build
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the amd cpu chips can be great value for performance, but with the poor programing of adobe's software, you really should go intel. you can always add ram or hdd's later, but its a very big hassle to replace the cpu/mbd for an upgrade, so go for the best cpu you can afford now...

look at the i7-4790k. LGA 1150 motherboard, try to get one with Z97 chipset.

graphics card go with the newer nvidia models, either the 750TI 2gb or gtx 960 2gb.

the 750ti uses the new chips from the gtx 9xx series. the gtx 760 is in-between those for performance.

instead of using one hdd for media and the other for export, either go with one hdd or configure raid 0 on the motherboard for speed.

dont bother with a dedicated export drive in a budget system.

there are some cheap nzxt or thermaltake cases that are ok. the Define R4 if you want to spend a bit more for a silent case.

• 2. Re: Advice on CC PC build
            kaganplant Level 1

HI, thanks for the response. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information online regarding Intel vs. AMD. Is it not the case that intel is better for gaming, whilst AMD chips are better for multi-threaded tasks like video editing and rendering? Also, everything I've read says that the gtx 760 beats the 750ti hands down?!

• 3. Re: Advice on CC PC build
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AMD chips are not optimized with Instruction Set Extensions  like SSE4.1/4.2, AVX 2.0 which Adobe uses very heavily.  If you want to see the Premiere Pro Bench Marking (PPBM) results where AMD does lousy you will have to register on our site.  With 184 Results published on that page and sorting on the results of the CPU intensive H.264 timeline export the best AMD score is in 64th place.

And yes the GTX 760 is faster than the GTX750 Ti but at about twice the price.

• 4. Re: Advice on CC PC build

the 750ti is cheaper and may be all you need, if budget is really tight. otherwise the gtx 960 should be around the same price as the 760 but is alot faster.

amd chips do well in some multi-threaded 64-bit programs, and in alot of programs they do offer better price to performance vs intel. however there is alot of sloppy code in adobe's software and sometimes they dont multi-thread as well as they should. when this happens the intel's are able to perform better. that i7-4790k isn't on par with the amd fx-8350, its faster in general... then the added speed of intel with adobe will make it even faster than the amd when using adobe's software. if you just want a budget pc, then amd are great for the price, but if you are building a pc to work with adobe then you really should consider the intel.

• 5. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                  kaganplant Level 1

CPU - Intel i7-4790k - £258

Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

MOTHERBOARD - ???

GRAPHICS CARD - ASUS GTX 750ti GDDR5 = £106

Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Graphics Card (2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

HARD DRIVE - WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 3.5inch CAVIAR BLUE  = £42.97  (JUST ONE)

WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE - SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB = £80.98

Samsung 2.5-Inch 250 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

PSU - CORSAIR CXM 600W MODULAR 80 = £60

Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

RAM - HYPERX FURY CL10 16GB = £99.95

HyperX FURY Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Red: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessori…

OPTICAL DRIVE - SAMSUNG 24X RETAIL SATA DVD WRITER = £12.99

Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

CASE - ??

COOLER - COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO = £24.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TOTAL = £688 (without motherboard and case)

Does this system look more appropriate for my needs?? Thanks again for the input!

• 6. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                    Relly

They say that about AMD processors but I have an FX 8320 and I can edit in full resolution with no problem.  I can even edit 4k in  half or quarter resolution.  Intel maybe faster but AMD can edit and render fine I feel like its ok to save a few seconds or a minute to save a couple hundred dollars for someone who wants to edit with no problem now.  And by the time my tech becomes outdated it would be time to upgrade a whole new cpu and mobo anyways.  I don't like when people act like just because intel is faster that AMD does work.  Here is my build and what you have up there was fine my only thing I would recommend a change is more ram and to get a 990FX board.  I started with a 970 chipset and I could not keep my temps under control.  Here is my build.  I already had the drives besides the SSDs but I paid about $750 from smart shopping over time and it worked out for me.  I started with a GTX 650 which I was satisfied with editing 1080p but playing with 4k footage I decided to go ahead and upgrade the card so I have the GTX 970 about to arrive tomorrow.

Intel is recommended but AMD can get the job done and Im 250+ professional projects in with AMD so I vouch for it.

CPU: AMD FX-8320
                    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
                    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
                    Memory: Kingston Fury Series 16GB 1866
                    Storage: Silicon Power S70 240GB SSD
                    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
                    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
                    Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 1TB
                    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
                    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($326.98 @ Newegg)
                    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
                    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
                    Monitor: Acer S202HLbd 20.0" Monitor
                    Monitor: Samsung S23C570H 23.0" Monitor

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3CCbD3

• 7. Re: Advice on CC PC build

if i gave the impression amd doesn't work, then it came out wrong. amd chips are solid and i have recommended them here before. however i also like to keep computers around as long as possible and not upgrade every 6 months. so while the intel is alot more expensive than the amd in this situation, we also have to consider its faster and the other parts involved with an upgrade. ddr4 is already here, so the next upgrade wont just be cpu/mbd, it will be cpu/mbd/ram. so the intel i recommend is to be the best of the last gen hardware as it stands now, and being faster to last longer before needing to upgrade.

• 8. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                        Relly Level 1

I don't believe Ill need to upgrade my system in 6 months.  Before I build this system I used a AMD Athlon II quad core which I used for 3 years.  It was a HP machine and I added a GTX 650 and it allowed me to edit in half resolution so total I spent about 650 on that setup and it worked fine.  People on a budget come to these talkgroups for advice to build a machine that can edit and they are always discouraged from AMD systems simply because Intel is faster instead of recommending them to use Intel but never inform with the proper setup AMD can work.  I just feel that's not fair especially to someone who is on a budget and im sorry i3 is not going to cut it.  Telling me to save my money for a $1500 setup is not going to cut it when if Im ready to edit now.

• 9. Re: Advice on CC PC build

if i suggested amd wont work, i didn't mean that. the reference to upgrading every 6 months was just a blanket statement of trying to get long term use out of a computer...  i agree with you on budgets, and like i said before, i have listed amd's as options here before.

i looked at the OP's needs and budget, looked at the parts list, and offered an alternative. with the cheaper video card and one less hdd its still close to budget price. if this wasn't for adobe software including AE, i might have suggested the amd and different hardware, just depends on the software. i wasn't trying to suggest amd wouldn't work, just that the intel might be worth the extra money in this case.

• 10. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                            Relly Level 1

and please this was no attack on you don't take it the wrong way.  I understand your point and its very valid. I was once in his shoes researching for a build that I could edit more efficient and all the research I did most people discouraged AMD as if you hit playback and it would just sizzle the computer.  It was this article that made me go ahead and go the AMD route and I am very happy with the results.

Building a System to run Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas on an AMD FX-6300, FX-8320, FX-8350 Processor by David Knarr

• 11. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                              kaganplant Level 1

Thanks for the input relly, I'm really not sure which way to go with it! My highest goal is to be able to work with DSLR footage in real time, with effects, without slow down. Can I do that with the suggestions you make? Can I ask, why do you recommend the 990FX board over the EVO 970? And also, I see you have 5 separate drives on your setup there, what's the benefit of this, are they RAID'ed, and would you suggest I stick with 1SSD and 2 1TB HDD'S or take RoninEdits suggestion to cut down to one HDD?

As an overall question, I would like to ask, would I see better results by A) Going with the more expensive Intel chip and making cut backs elsewhere or B) Going with the AMD FX 8350 and the GTX 960?

• 12. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                                Relly Level 1

If you can afford to go the Intel route you cannot loose I want to make that perfectly clear.  Me however when I was trying to budget out my build I was working with limited funding myself and it was hard to push the go button on a $300 processor then wait a few months then a $250 mobo then a few months $125 for ram and so on.  I was able to push the go button on that microcenter $130 deal for the FX8320 and Asrock 970 extreme r2.0.  Once it touched down I was using the stock cooler and whenever I would render a timeline my temps was pushing 65c to 68c.  It was getting the job done but the temps would throttle my CPU down until it cooled down and it drove me crazy.  I picked up the Sabertooth with the 990FX chipset and the evo cooler and now my temps never get over 43c under load.  I don't do the overclocking except for the turbo boost that pushes my 3.5 to 3.8.  so basically the 970 chipset could not handle the heat of the FX8320 during rendering.  I don't care for the Raid setups I feel like my drives are fast enough to not need it.  I may do a mirroring setup just for backup but that's why I have 7TB of externals to back up my work.  I have the Samsung SSD for OS and Adobe CC only.   I have the Silicon power SSD for my cache and previews.  I have the 2tb for my footage that's actually on the computer internally.  I use the 500gb for all my mattes, plugin installs, overlays, and other footage I use for editing.  The pipeline drive is for installations of everything that's not editing related like a few games and other software that I use.  I have no bottlenecks and it all works good.  I don't know about the gtx 960 I had a GTX 650 and it worked very well.  I cannot wait to see what my GTX 970 will do when it arrives tomorrow.  I would say if you going to cutback do not cutback on the RAM it is utilized with adobe in every way in fact that will be my next upgrade to get more and I should have up'd to 32g of ram instead of this GPU but its done now.

• 13. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                                  kaganplant Level 1

Oh wow thanks for such an in-depth response, really helpful information. Sorry to pester but just so I'm clear, what think would be the best drive setup for me on my budget, I know I should have an SSD for OS and Adobe apps, but should I then go for 1 HDD or 2? And how should they be utilised? Thanks!!

• 14. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                                    Relly Level 1

I would say 2 SSD and one large HDD for storage.  having a second SSD for Cache really makes a difference with editing on the timeline especially scrubbing.  If I had my way I would have done 480gb SSD for OS and Adobe, 120gb SSD for cache and video preview and 3 or 4TB 7200rpm drives for footage storage.  And that's just with a limited budget. I spent $150 for my two SSD shopping around and the other drives came from my old machine so it just worked out for me.  The larger HDDs are much cheaper these days so for internal footage storage go as large as you can but definitely at lease 2 SSDs

• 15. Re: Advice on CC PC build

a ssd for os/apps and another for scratch is recommended, however in a budget build with limited funds you can use one fast 250gb ssd for os/apps/scratch and use a hdd for media. depending on the media, it may be ok with just one hdd. if its high-bitrate/raw media then you would want two or more hdd's in raid to meet speeds.

• 16. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                                        Relly Level 1

agree'd I started off with the 1tb in my hp machine and I saw dramatic increase in performance once I added the 2tb and stored footage only there

• 17. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                                          kaganplant Level 1

After even more research and opinions, I think I am leaning towards an i5, purely because it seems like the safer option, and I will be able to upgrade it to an i7. However, I just had a quote from an online refurb company who suggested 2x hex core x5650 processors? This has muddied the waters even more! Any thoughts??

• 18. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                                            kaganplant Level 1

A Dell T5500 workstation with the hex cores to be exact

• 19. Re: Advice on CC PC build
                                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That processor has been declared "End-of Life" by Intel.  Not a wise move.