3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2007 11:04 AM by Kutra

Usage of # in Internet Explorer 7 for WebHelp.

Kutra Level 1
      We are using RH5 and generating the WebHelp. Our application sends the following URL to the Web browser:
      file:C:\Program Files\Common Files\MyCompanyy\Help\MyFile.htm#ThisTopic.htm.

Behavior in IE6: "ThisTopic.htm" is displayed in the right pane and the TOC gets appropriately synchronized in the left pane. This is the intended behavior.

Behavior in IE7: Instead of "ThisTopic.htm" getting displayed in the right pane, "MyFile.htm" gets displayed. That is, the significance of # is ignored by IE7. Microsoft is saying that this is a RH5 issue since the IE7 browser supports the #.

Any idea how we can fix this for IE7 if it's a RH5 issue?

Thanks,
      K
        • 1. Re: Usage of # in Internet Explorer 7 for WebHelp.
          Flaven Level 1
          Kutra, I encountered the same issue with IE7. There's specific information on the "pounding sand" (e.g., #) problem at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_urls.htm that may be helpful to you.

Basically, there are two solutions he notes:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Solution 1
          If your developers amend each call so that the first call has one query mark added and the next call has two query marks, then it will work correctly.
          startpage?#path/topic1.htm
          startpage??#path/topic2.htm
          After that calls need to alternate so it would continue as below
          startpage?#path/topic3.htm
          startpage??#path/topic4.htm
          My thanks to Werner Hutter for telling us about adding query marks to the call and Tony Harris for simplifying the method.

Solution 2
          Add target="_new" to give something like
          startpage?#path/topic1.htm target="new"
          See Tommy Simmons topic for information on this method.
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We call our help system internally within the application, and our developer fixed the issue, "I had to go with the alternating "?#" and "??#" because the other way (title="_new") only works from within HTML (has to be in an HREF statement). But, I implemented the other way and it seems to have fixed the problem. So it looks like it is RoboHelp's fault -- I would just feel a little better about it if I knew exactly WHY this worked -- but I guess as long as it works I won't worry about it."

I haven't yet tested this thoroughly with an RH6 compiled WebHelp, but it worked with RH5.02.

Good luck...

• 2. Re: Usage of # in Internet Explorer 7 for WebHelp.
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            By all means try the query mark instead of the hash but i believe the hash is working for others. I notice you are trying it on your hard disk. Have you tried it on the server where the help will be deployed?

• 3. Re: Usage of # in Internet Explorer 7 for WebHelp.
              Kutra Level 1
              Thanks. I will give it a shot.

-K