7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2007 4:40 PM by Hugo_Core

Book Recommendations

SPGAnne Level 1
      I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the best book/books to buy for a Flex newbie. I have taken all the tutorial stuff that came with the product, and have some familiarity with Flash 8 and Actionscript 2. In particular I am trying to use OOD and OOP as much as possible in my projects in Flash and want to carry that forward to Flex. I am particularly confused about when to use mxml and when to use Actionscript and how to incorporate Actionscript classes that I write with the components I layout in mxml using FlexBuilder. I am also confused about Flex components v. custom classes and components written that way. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

• 1. Re: Book Recommendations
          jpwrunyan Level 1
          I have O'Reilly's ActionScript 3.0 CookBook.

I really like O'Reilly BUT
          This book has not really helped me. I have already spent the past 6 months struggling through Adobe's Flex documentation so the purchase of the book was too late in saving me any time. And it is not a teaching book, more like a FAQ. If you are a total newbie, I recommend it over the online docs, otherwise don't bother. I should add, however, that XML is a major pain in Flex (yes! it is! I don't care what Adobe says about e4X) and this book really gives some good examples. And yet then again, I found a typo in one of their examples. That's a real pet-peeve. Anyway, I give the book 2 outa 4 stars (for a Flex Developer, mind you).

I look forward to Definitive AS 3.0 (if it ever comes out).
          • 2. Re: Book Recommendations
            Steven_D._Marshall
            I've purchased three Flex/ActionScript books. In order of preference:

* Adobe Flex 2: Trainining from the Source - this is a good tutorial style book with lots of helpful examples.
            * Advanced ActionScript 3 with Design Patterns - I almost didn't get this because of the "Design Patterns" catchiness, but it turned out to be a pretty good overview of ActionScript and taught me quite a few things I didn't know about the language (being mostly an AS3 newbie).
            * ActionScript 3 Cookbook - like the previous commenter I didn't find this book all that useful, unlike other Cookbooks I've purchased in the past. There is some good info in it but you have to dig a bit to find it.

I find myself consulting the online docs almost exclusively now, but I still use the first two books listed above every now and then.
            • 3. Re: Book Recommendations
              jpwrunyan Level 1
              Steven,
              If you see this, I want to ask you a question:
              Did the Adobe Flex 2 book help with using Flex Builder at all, in your opinion?
              • 4. Re: Book Recommendations
                Steven_D._Marshall Level 1
                The Adobe Flex 2 book assumes you have Flex Builder 2 but it doesn't require it. Chapter 2 (a little over 20 pages) is about Flex Builder 2 and many of the screen shots throughout the remainder of the book show FB2 configuration palettes. But the book also contains plenty of MXML and AS3 code so if you're coding with NotePad (or equivalent) I think you would still get a lot out of the book.
                • 5. Re: Book Recommendations
                  phi2265 Level 1
                  I have Adobe Flex 2: Training from the Source.

I didn't go through all the lessons or anything, but It did help me with using FDS, without the book I probably wouldn't have figured it out.

• 6. Book Recommendations
                    JohnLeger Level 1
                    The best training I have seen is at www. Lynda.com. For $25 a month you can have unlimited access to ALL of their video tutorials. I have learned so much in such a short time. I have a huge collection of software books and have learned a lot through them over the years, but never so quickly as I have with Lynda.com. Currently they have two video collections for Flex 2:

1. Flex 2 - Essential Training
                    2. Flex 2 - Beyond The Basics

It is a total of 10.5 hours of video tutorials. They currectly have over 17,300 tutorials done top-notch in 259 different topics. For instance if you want to learn ColdFusion they have over 22 hours worth of training. I have learned Dreamweaver 8, Flash 8, Fireworks 8, CSS, CSS2, XHTML, Photoshop CS2, Indesign CS2, etc. They have 259 different topics. You can check out their massive list yourself. Computer books are not cheap! I can easily spend $50+ on a good computer book, but that's two whole months worth of training at Lynda.com. I am in my second year subscription and can testify that they are always adding new videos which are part of your subscription when you subscribe.

Check it out you won't be disappointed!

John
                    • 7. Re: Book Recommendations
                      Hugo_Core Level 1
                      I concord with JohnLeger.

Lynda is the Thing..