4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2007 8:27 AM by mogdriver

Help needed by neophyte!

mogdriver
      Hi - first time poster, non-tech proficient user. I have an educational simulation created in Director 6 that will not run on laptops running XP although it works fine on desktop. The error message says "This program requires at least 3MB of virtual memory to run". Of course, there's much more than that. Not being a tech type or the original creator, I'm stumped. It would seem the problem is related to Director, not Windows. If I try to copy the program from my desktop to a CD and then run on my laptop, same error message. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Help needed by neophyte!
          Level 7
          Did you try running the projector in Compatibility mode (right click the
          executable, Properties, Compatibility tab, ... ?
          • 2. Re: Help needed by neophyte!
            mogdriver Level 1
            Sean - thanks for that suggestion! However, it did not fix the problem - same error message.
            • 3. Re: Help needed by neophyte!
              Level 7
              "mogdriver" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> posted in
              macromedia.director.basics:

> Not being a tech type or the original creator, I'm stumped.

Your best bet is to contact the authors of the project. They may have an
              updated version that is compatible with modern operating systems.

> It would seem the problem is related to Director, not Windows.

A little of both. Director 6 came out years before WinXP and couldn't
              anticipate that Windows would change how it reports RAM (bytes, KBytes,
              MBytes, etc.). Lots of software had to go through an upgrade to be compatible
              with XP.

Because of this, searching Google for the phrase, "This program requires at
              least 3MB" pulls up around 76,800 hits (I have reason to doubt their hit
              counts these days)
              with work-arounds that may or may not work on every
              system.

Here's one of them that even mentions Director 6.
              http://www.interactivefilmschool.com/support/version1.html

It the steps listed on that page have also been posted in here off and on
              over the years.

HTH

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              Keep-On-Learnin' :)
              • 4. Re: Help needed by neophyte!
                mogdriver Level 1
                Thanks to Mark and Sean, I've got a fix! Fiddling with the Compatability settings didn't do the deed, but the link that Mark provided hit the mark when adapted to XP's structure. Even I was able to make the changes and create a workaround text for others. You guys are the best!