3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2015 10:49 AM by D Fosse

CS6 and ACR Color Settings

wximagery

Ok ... I have researched the internet entirely three times over and I can't figure this out. I'll give you as much information as I can think of right from the start. I know it has to do with color management, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

• Shoot photos with Canon 6d in sRGB color space
      • Open .CR2 with Adobe ACR v8.8.0.397
      • Color space in ACR is sRGB IEC6 1966-2.1, 8 bit
      • Click on "Open Image", which opens Adobe CS6
      • Proof Colors are set to unchecked (off).
      • Color settings in CS6 are:

Here's the comparison of ACR and CS6:

What am I doing wrong? If my color settings are the same between ACR and CS6 (as shown above), shouldn't' the images be the same in both ACR and photoshop?

Let the bashing begin ...

• 1. Re: CS6 and ACR Color Settings
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They should indeed. This is a broken monitor profile, affecting the two differently.

Recalibrate, and make sure your calibrator produces v2, matrix-based profiles (if you don't have those options it does). V4 and LUT profiles can be problematic in some cases. If you don't have a calibrator, use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for now. Relaunch Photoshop when done:

display_profile_5.png

BTW, the camera setting for color space is moot. That applies to in-camera processed jpegs, not raw files.

• 2. Re: CS6 and ACR Color Settings
            wximagery Level 1

You 'da man! You fixed my problem.

It appears Microsoft updated my Windows 7 U2401 driver Saturday night which screwed things up.

Thanks bunch!

• 3. Re: CS6 and ACR Color Settings
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Excellent

Incidentally, there's no particular need to have color settings synchronized between ACR / Lr and Photoshop. These are, after all, color managed applications that display correctly whatever the source color space.

The one exception is if you have a wide gamut monitor and go from Adobe RGB or larger, and into sRGB. In this case you will see the gamut clipping if there is any. With a standard gamut monitor they should always, under any circumstances, display identically.