6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 6:00 PM by trshaner

Clarity / Sharpening after exporting - Lightroom bug?

bastianw90443860

Clarity / Sharpening after exporting - bug?

hi,
      i have a problem with my lightroom trial version. as you can see in the lightroom window, my portrait is very sharp and the frecles are highlighted. but, if i export the image as a jpg srgb 2048px (and other dimensions) i cannot the the sharpness overall and there are no highligted frecles.. what do i wrong? you can see the exported jpg on the left.

thanks!

11.jpg22.jpg

• 1. Re: Clarity / Sharpening after exporting - Lightroom bug?
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

Which version of LIghtroom?

There was a bug in earlier versions (which impacted on exports resized, if I recall correctly, to 1/3 of full size output) but it was supposedly fixed - although I'm not entirely convinced about that.

Which camera?

And are you applying "sharpen for screen" in the export dialogue?

• 2. Re: Clarity / Sharpening after exporting - Lightroom bug?
            bastianw90443860 Level 1

Lightroom 5.7

Nikon D800 with Nikon AF-S 85mm 1:1.4G

yes, i apply sharpe for screen 'standard'

• 3. Re: Clarity / Sharpening after exporting - Lightroom bug?
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please see my suggestions at this similar post:

Re: Develop module & library module aren't matching

You are using Sharpening Amount 150, additional Local Sharpening 52 with the Radial filter, and  Luminance Noise Reduction set to 0. All of these controls should adjusted using 1:1 (100%) Zoom view to prevent "over-applying" the controls. This most likely the cause of what you are seeing in the resized Export image AND in the Library preview image at less than 1:1 Zoom view.

Try lowering the  Sharpening Amount from 150 to 50 and Luminance Amount from 0 to 20. Export to 2048 JPEG and see if the two images (raw vs JPEG) now look closer to the same in sharpness.

• 4. Re: Clarity / Sharpening after exporting - Lightroom bug?
                bastianw90443860 Level 1

Thanks to trshaner,

sure, the jpg looks now closer to the developer-preview, but its not so sharp - and i love the sharpness-look in my sreenshot above. i like the "oversharpened-look", especially for the frecles. i would like to highligt the frecles...

and i don't understand why i should set Luminance Amount to 20, i like the "noise" too, and Luminance 20 makes a muddy skin, looks like a bad beauty-retouching..

• 5. Re: Clarity / Sharpening after exporting - Lightroom bug?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you like noise, you can add noise back in the Effects panel, but with more finesse like size and amount as compared to merely oversharpening the existing sensor noise and artificial patterns caused by too much Detail sharpening.

If you like overly sharpened output you can try Screen - High and if that's not enough then try one or both paper-sharpening modes, Glossy and Matte, which use even higher amounts of sharpening because paper doesn't show sharpening as well as pixels on a screen.

The bottom line is that the Fit view in Develop is not accurate when there is micro-detail and will look overly sharp as compared to reality, so if you like that look you'll have to figure out how to create it using other means because only the screen Fit preview is that sharp.

• 6. Re: Clarity / Sharpening after exporting - Lightroom bug?
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When significantly resizing the image during Export (Example: 2048 Long Edge) the Output Sharpening setting has more effect on the image than LR's Develop Detail> Sharpening settings. Try Screen High or one of the other settings:

Screen: Least sharpening

Glossy Paper: More sharpening

Matte Paper: Highest sharpening

bastianw90443860 wrote:

and i don't understand why i should set Luminance Amount to 20, i like the "noise" too, and Luminance 20 makes a muddy skin, looks like a bad beauty-retouching..

You don't need to use Luminance 20, I just suggested that setting to determine if Luminance noise was the cause.

Try this:

You may not need to use the Radial filter Sharpening and/or Clarity settings. For portrait work I find Clarity tends to muddy skin tones. Try the below procedure 1-7 with the Radial filter turned OFF. After making the below adjustments you can turn ON and fine-tune the Radial filter settings if more sharpening is desired. Just make sure you are viewing the image at 1:1 Zoom view.

1) Set Zoom view to 1:1 and the Detail panel Sharpening Amount to 50, Detail to 25 and Luminance NR to 0.

2) Hold down the ALT key and adjust Radius just to the point where a slight halo appears on sharp edges.

3) Hold down the ALT key and adjust Detail just to the point where the slight halo reappears again on sharp edges.

4) Increase (or decrease) the Sharpening Amount for the desired look. Unless using Masking there should be no need to go above Amount =100.

5) Increase the Noise Reduction Luminance until noise is barely visible in the image.

6) If necessary use the Sharpening Masking control to lower noise in even-toned areas. Lowering the Detail Amount has a similar effect and is helpful with noisy high ISO images.

7) Increase the Sharpening Amount if necessary, but not to the point where noise becomes visible in the image.

It's sometimes necessary to go back and forth between the Sharpening and Noise Reduction panels to get the best settings.