1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 2:11 PM by rob day

Blending with background image question

amkrisis Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to recreate a similar graphic to this one, which was done in CorelDraw.

2015-03-23 19.12.15.jpg

I've played around with blending modes (normal, multiply etc...) and overprint on the pink crosses, but can't get them to look similar (or exactly the same, which is the goal).

The closes I've gotten was putting one cross in overprint, and another one without overprint and set to 75% transparency. But that way the pink isn't as consistent as I'd like it to be.

When using blending modes or overprint the black (the shirt on the left) completely downs out the pink. It should be visible (you can see a slight grey tint where the black is, doesn't show up in the pic well) but it shouldn't overpower the pink.

What am I missing here?

• 1. Re: Blending with background image question
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Blending modes and CMYK can produce unexpected and sometimes unpleasant results, so you might try all RGB color and an RGB Transparency Blend Space and let the conversion to CMYK happen on export or output. You'll just want to make sure you don't get too far out-of-gamut—if you turn on Separation Preview you'll see the conversion to CMYK

So here my background image is RGB even though it looks like grayscale, the pink cross is an RGB color, and the blending mode is Hard Light:

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 4.53.17 PM.png

Or a pink with a darker value:

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 4.57.27 PM.png