7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2007 12:20 PM by LLama13

Missing Features

alinear
      Deep linking
      if I want to share my Kuler creations with others online I have to say "hey -- go to kuler.adobe.com and search for 'alinear', then click on the theme 'myTheme'". How hard would it be to produce a link-to deep linking via a simple URL string query of some sort?

Browser History Integration and Proper BACK
      If you hit 'back' in your browser or on your mouse you are doomed to exit the whole kuler app and lose anything you were doing. This is one of the things that scares people away from using Flash to deploy sites, so it isn't exactly flagship of Adobe to leave this sort of basic stuff out when implementing an archetype RIA. When editing a swatch set you can't even find or click a BACK button to return to whatever you were previously doing (looking at a search results, etc.). You are left to remember what you last did and repeat it when exiting a swatch set edit.

Search by User by Clicking User Name
      Click the user name ('by alinear') and have it search by user name to show you all their other sets. Otherwise, why do I even care who made the color set? It serves little purpose, unless I think to go type their name into the search field...

Inline Tagging
      Why do I have to go to edit the swatches to edit their tags, when I can see the tags in the search results view? If I have permission to edit and republish a swatch set shouldn't I be able to just basically click on the tags in the results/browsing view and edit/add to them? This would be nice since often people may want to edit tags but not go back and forth to the color editor to do so (afterthought tagging, etc.).

Can't Download Palette Without Logging In
      Why do people have to login simply to download someone's created palette? It isn't even clear that you CAN download them unless you are logged in, making the 'downloads: 3' details a bit confusing. Shouldn't the user just see the ghosted out 'download' button and a tooltip that says 'you have to be logged in to do that' ?

Bug - colors shift when editing
      Colors shift when editing in Custom mode. Click one color, edit it. Click the one next to it, edit it and poof, the previous color shifts values! You end up having to click the 'custom' button between each color to prevent it from doing this. Seems to be a bug introduced by Firefox2, which I completely fail to understand since it is a Flash application.

Bug - colors shift when going from search/results view to editor
      When clicking to edit all of my existing kuler sets, some of the colors will shift when I enter the editor. So I cannot really go and edit tags or adjust them without losing the original colors.

Base Color not clear
      Why is it that if I adjust the base color all the rest go with it? What if I want to tweak the base color without messing with the rest? Seems like you should only affect the other colors from the base color when in a non-'custom' edit mode, at least.

No undo
      Can't undo last edit. Especially sad when you accidentally slide your base color or something of that nature...

All in all the app is a really good concept, but is not implemented very well. It seems to have been rushed, and I can't say I find that it makes for a strong case to use Flash/Flex to deliver a rich internet application. Implementing under Flash seems to have been purely novelty at the cost of lost of functionality.

Would really love to see this evolve as I could see designers pointing clients to kuler sets, linking them to design results in their blog, etc.

alinear.net
        • 1. Re: Missing Features
          Sami@Adobe Adobe Employee
          Hi,
          Thanks for taking the time to provide these suggestions. We are working on the two color shifting bugs so we hope you'll see improvement soon. We appreciate the post !
          Sami
          • 2. Re: Missing Features
            Listerart
            Support for Pantone, either by a Pantone match system built into the interface or the ability to export to Pantones
            • 3. Re: Missing Features
              Edeldj
              Another useful feature would be a gallery window alongside the palette creation window so I can contrast and compare palettes or in an ideal world pick up swatches. I would like to be able to set two or three base colours and then apply the colour rules palettes to one of those colours.
              • 4. Missing Features
                CBukley Level 1
                I know your priority right now is exterminating bugs but in case you are really tracking a future features wish list, I'll add a couple items...

Web Safe Color Selection
                The ability to restrict an individual color selection to the web safe palette. It would be nice to have a toggle for each color rather than an all or nothing web safe option. I might want major elements to be web safe but would opt for a greater color selection on accent elements. (Right now, you can use the hex values to assign web safe colors but since I'm one of those experiencing the color shifting problem it makes it impossible for me to keep those colors "locked.")

Yeah, what HE said...
                I'd echo previous comments about a linked "author" name, ability to lock particular colors, and a secondary color gallery.

Ability to search by color
                I think this was mentioned before as well. It seems critical for this type of tool. Maybe not searching on an exact color value, but at least within a range. This would help you find existing themes of interest and also help you avoid unintentionally duplicating a theme someone else has already posted.

More on the "secondary color gallery"
                It would be nice to be able to assign major/minor colors when working with the swatches. Maybe have your primary set/ major elements full size swatches with secondary/minor elements half size? This would help to better visualize the effect of accent colors without the strong colors overwhelming the balance. Number of swatches? Maybe 5 primary and 3 secondary? Love to hear other people's idea on the right number here.

Okay, enough already. I'm sure you have a whole list of things planned as soon as you get past the beta. Thanks for a fun and useful tool. Can't wait to see where it goes.

--Caro
                • 5. Re: Missing Features
                  Sami@Adobe Adobe Employee
                  Hi folks,
                  Thanks for the suggestions. As Caro noted, there are a few things we have to fix first, but we are excited to roll out some new features.
                  Question: There was an earlier thread about web safe colors--is this really still an issue?
                  Number of swatches and primary/secondary colors: We'd be interested in hearing what people find optimally useful!
                  Sami
                  • 6. Re: Missing Features
                    CBukley Level 1
                    quote:

Question: There was an earlier thread about web safe colors--is this really still an issue?

Are you referring to the color shifting or a different bug? I still see the color shifting issue in a couple of different ways. If you need more info on this, please let me know and I'll give you a breakdown on the different issues I'm seeing.

If you are referring to a different issue, please point me at the thread if you can.
                    • 7. Re: Missing Features
                      LLama13
                      quote:

Originally posted by: CBukley
                      quote:

Are you referring to the color shifting or a different bug? I still see the color shifting issue in a couple of different ways. If you need more info on this, please let me know and I'll give you a breakdown on the different issues I'm seeing.

If you are referring to a different issue, please point me at the thread if you can.

I believe he was referring to web safe colors being an issue. Monitors have come a long way since the 90's and as a designer you really do not have to worry so much about web safe colors anymore. So to answer that question, no, it really is not an issue to worry about.