12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 12:35 PM by jeffb34611292

How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.

jeffb34611292 Level 1

Is there a way to sign my 2000 pdfs using my digital signature all at once?

• 1. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.
          IsakTen Level 4

AFAIK Acrobat license does not allow you to use it as a server, and that's what you want to do. You need a server solution for this like Adobe LiveCycle.

• 2. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.
            jeffb34611292 Level 1

I really only need this for a once through and then I can sign each document individually. I have a back-log of 2000 contracts that need a signature. There has to be a way to sign everything at once. They are the same contract and the signature line is in the exact same spot everytime.

• 3. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.
              Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Jeff,

Yes, you can sign the PDF files enmass. Which version of Acrobat (and it has to be Acrobat, you can't do this with Reader) do you have? The reason I ask is in older versions you'd do this using the Batch command, but in the newer version you use the Action Wizard (which is just a UI wrap around the old Batch feature). I need to know the version to give the the correct steps.

There is one caveat here, the digital ID you need to use to sign with has to be in a file format (P12 or PFX), and not on a hardware device. The method to do this is to use JavaScript (which I can help you with), but JS signing only works with file based digital IDs. If your digital ID is residing on a PIN protected secure hardware device (i.e. a smart card or token) then we're out of luck.

Steve

• 4. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.
                jeffb34611292 Level 1

Hey Steve,

Thanks for helping me out! My company has both Acrobat 10 and 11. I think I will also need help with setting up the JS signing. Right now we are using an image signature (not very secure) to sign everything. We do have a docu-sign account if that helps.

Thanks,

• 5. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.

Hi Jeff,

Oh this is going to get esoteric (sorry).

There are two kinds of signatures in the computer world, electronic signatures and digital signatures. An electronic signature is in essence placing a mark on the document and in and of itself there is nothing secure about that method of signing. Where an electronic signature does provide some semblance of authenticity is when you involve a trusted third party to act as a notary. Docu-sign (who is our competitor) or Adobe EchoSign act as that 3rd party intermediary (you as the signer are the first party, and the document recipient is the second party) and act as that notary service.

A digital signature is a secured cryptographic operation that provides two things; the assurance of the documents integrity (i.e. the document has not been modified), and signer non-repudiation (i.e. the signer cannot deny that they were the person that signed the document). Although the image you noted above can be used as the signature appearance, it's not the appearance that is the signature. The signature proper is a blob of encoded and encrypted data either written into (like a PDF file) or appended to (like a signed e-mail) a file and it's that data that really provided the security and authentication of the signer. To create a digital signature you need a digital ID. A real world equivalent would be where the digital ID is the pen, and the resulting digital signature is, well, the wet-ink signature.

The signature appearance in a digitally signed PDF file is just eye-candy, whereas with an electronic signature the appearance is the all you get.

This brings us back to the digital ID. It is a bit of a magical beast that contains two keys. These two keys have a symbiotic relationship where what one key locks ONLY is corresponding other key can unlock. It would be if when you left your house in the morning you had two different key to your front door, and you lock the door with one of those key, when you come home at night you would have to use the other key to unlock the door. The key you used in the morning could not be used in the evening to unlock the door.

To sign the PDF files using the method I noted in my post above you would need to procure a digital ID. You have a couple of options with regard to getting a digital ID, but the option you select depends on the agreement you have with whomever is going to receive the signed files and these options revolve around the concept of trust. Setting aside trust for just a moment, your options are to purchase a digital ID from a reputable Certificate Authority (CA) who will vet your identity, or, Acrobat can generated a digital ID, but or course that comes without any identity vetting. The upside to using the CA is they act as a trusted third party that is the backbone of the non-repudiation portion of a digital signature. The downside to using the CA is there is a cost involved, and the digital IDs they issue do have a limited lifespan so approximately every one to three years you have to procure a new digital ID. The upside to using an Acrobat generated digital ID is it is free and you can generated in mere moments. The downside to using an acrobat digital ID is there is no authentication as to the signer being who they said they are. When you create a digital ID in Acrobat you get to type in any name you want.

Since you mentioned that these are contracts that means there is a second party involve. The next step would be for you to check with them to see if they would accept an Acrobat generated digital ID (it's also referred to as a self-signed digital ID, but I've already given you a lot here and I'll skip why it's called that), or, do they need you to sign using a digital ID issued from a trusted third-party. Find out what works in this situation and we can go from there.

Steve

• 6. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.
                    jeffb34611292 Level 1

Hi Steve,

For these contracts we are not very concerned that the other signer will come back and dispute anything. This is why we can use something as simple as a copy and paste of a jpeg. It would be fine for us to create a digital ID through acrobat.

Thanks,

-Jeff

• 9. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.

Hi Jeff,

I’ll break this down into several parts to (hopefully) make things a little easier to follow. At the core, what we are doing is collecting the pieces to sign the files.

Collect the files into a known location:

1. Create the folder C:\Contracts. Neither the name nor the location needs to be exactly that, and you can make changes, but it gives me a referral point.
                      2. Copy all 2,000 contracts in the C:\Contracts folder. Make copies, don’t just move them as this will give you something to fall back on if the signing operation goes amiss. Later on, when all is done and you’re happy with the results, you can delete the duplicate files.

Create the Digital ID File:

1. Launch Acrobat
                      2. Select the Edit > Preferences menu item
                      3. Select Signatures from the Categories list box
                      4. Click the More button in the Identities & Trusted Certificates group box (the third More button from the top)
                      5. Click the Add ID toolbar button on the Digital ID and Trusted Certificate Settings dialog
                      6. Select the A new digital ID I want to create now radio button, and then click the Next button
                      7. Select the New PKCS#12 digital ID file radio button, and then click the Next button
                      8. At a minimum you need to add a Name and E-mail, but I’d suggest filling out all of the Identity Information fields AND selecting 2048-bit RSA from the Key Algorithm drop-down menu, and then click the Next button
                      9. Click the Browse button
                      10. Navigate to and select the Contracts folder on the C: drive, and then click the Save button
                      11. At a minimum you need a six character password, but good security practices dictate I recommend at least 8 characters made up of mixed case letters, numbers, and symbols. Whatever password you create be sure to remember it as you’ll need it later.
                      12. Click the Finish button
                      13. Close the Digital ID and Trusted Certificate Settings dialog (use the red X on the upper right corner)
                      14. Don’t close the Preferences dialog

Create the Signature Appearance (this is optional):

1. Click the More button in the Creation and Appearance group box (the topmost More button)
                      2. Click the New button in the Appearances group box
                      3. Enter “Pen Sig” (without the quotes) in the Title field
                      4. Select the Imported graphic radio button, and then click the File button
                      5. Click the Browse button on the Select Picture dialog
                      6. Navigate to and select the image file you mention up thread, and then click the Open button
                      7. Click the OK button on the Select Picture dialog
                      8. Select/Deselect any or all of the checkboxes in the Configure Text group box until you’re happy with what you see in the Preview field. Once you get a display you want to use click the OK button on the Configure Signature Appearance dialog.
                      9. Click the OK button on the Creation and Appearance Preferences dialog
                      10. Click the OK button on Preferences dialog

Create the Signing Action:

1. Click the Tools button on the toolbar to open the right-hand tool panel
                      2. Expand the Action Wizard tool pane
                      3. Click the Create New Action tool button
                      4. Click the Add Folder button in the Files to be Processed pane. See the circled item on the below screen shot.
                      5. Action Wizard.jpg
                      6. Navigate to and select C:\Contracts in the Browse for Folder dialog, and then click the OK button. You should now see “Contracts” where you see “Currently open file as default” in the screen shot above.
                      7. Expand More Tools in the Choose tools to add pane (bottom left side)
                      8. Select Execute JavaScript and then click the Add to Right-Hand pane button in the center of the dialog
                      9. Deselect the Prompt User checkbox (you don’t need to prompt yourself J)
                      10. Click the Specify Settings button which will bring up the JavaScript Editor dialog. Before you cut and paste the following into the JavaScript Editor there is something important to note. There is a block of seven variables from “var f” through “var myAppearance”. You need to make sure that all 7 are correct. The most important being that the signature field on all 2000 files has the same name. It could be Signature1, or it could be something else, but whatever it is, they all have to be the same.
                      11. Copy and paste the following, from "/*Sign the contract files*/" up through "trustedSigning();" and then click the OK button on the JavaScript Editor…

/* Sign the contract files */

trustedSigning = app.trustedFunction (

function () {    

var myPlatform = app.platform;

var ppklite = security.getHandler("Adobe.PPKLite");

var f = this.getField("Signature1");

var digIDPath = "/C/Contracts/JeffBisher.pfx";

var myPsswd = "your password";

var myLoc = "your Location";

var myReason = "your reason";

var myContact = "your e-mail";

var myAppearance = "Pen Sig";

var oParams = {

cPassword: myPsswd,

cDIPath: digIDPath

};

ppklite.login(oParams);

app.beginPriv();

try {

f.signatureSign( ppklite,

{  password: myPsswd,

reason: myReason,

contactInfo: myContact,

appearance: myAppearance

}

);

} catch (e) {

console.println("\nFatal Error = "+e.message)

}   

app.endPriv();

}

)

trustedSigning();

12. Click the Save button on the Create New Action dialog

13. Add “Sign Contracts” (without the quotes) in the Action Name field and then click the Save button

Do the Signing Operation:

1. Click the Sign Contracts tool button in the Actions panel

Good luck,

Steve

• 10. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.
                        jeffb34611292 Level 1

Hi Steve,

So my manager just informed me that she does not have acrobat 11 and only has 10. I'm assuming that the instructions were for 10 because as were were following the instructions things were not lining up. I am so sorry to ask this but is it possible to get instructions for acrobat 10?

Thanks, we really do appreciate working with us!

Sincerely,

Jeff BIsher

• 11. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, the steps above were for version 11. Here are the steps for Acrobat version 10.

Collect the files into a known location:

1. Create the folder C:\Contracts. Neither the name nor the location needs to be exactly that, and you can make changes, but it gives me a referral point.
                          2. Copy all 2,000 contracts in the C:\Contracts folder. Make copies, don’t just move them as this will give you something to fall back on if the signing operation goes amiss. Later on, when all is done and you’re happy with the results, you can delete the duplicate files.

Create the Digital ID File:

1. Launch Acrobat
                          2. Click on Tools on the toolbar
                          3. Expand the Sign & Certify pane
                          4. Click on the More Sign & Certify tool, and then select Security Settings from the drop-down menu
                          5. Select (highlight) Digital IDs from the tree view on the left
                          6. Click the Add ID toolbar button on the Digital ID and Trusted Certificate Settings dialog
                          7. Select the A new digital ID I want to create now radio button, and then click the Next button
                          8. Select the New PKCS#12 digital ID file radio button, and then click the Next button
                          9. At a minimum you need to add a Name and E-mail, but I’d suggest filling out all of the Identity Information fields AND selecting 2048-bit RSA from the Key Algorithm drop-down menu, and then click the Next button
                          10. Click the Browse button
                          11. Navigate to and select the Contracts folder on the C: drive, and then click the Save button
                          12. At a minimum you need a six character password, but good security practices dictate I recommend at least 8 characters made up of mixed case letters, numbers, and symbols. Whatever password you create be sure to remember it as you’ll need it later.
                          13. Click the Finish button
                          14. Close the Security  Settings dialog (use the red X on the upper right corner)

Create the Signature Appearance (this is optional):

1. Select the Edit > Preferences menu item
                          2. Select Security from the Categories list box
                          3. Click the New button in the Appearance group box
                          4. Enter “Pen Sig” (without the quotes) in the Title field
                          5. Select the Imported graphic radio button, and then click the File button
                          6. Click the Browse button on the Select Picture dialog
                          7. Navigate to and select the image file you mention up thread, and then click the Open button
                          8. Click the OK button on the Select Picture dialog
                          9. Select/Deselect any or all of the checkboxes in the Configure Text group box until you’re happy with what you see in the Preview field. Once you get a display you want to use click the OK button on the Configure Signature Appearance dialog.
                          10. Click the OK button on the Creation and Appearance Preferences dialog
                          11. Click the OK button on Preferences dialog

Create the Signing Action:

1. Click the Tools button on the toolbar to open the right-hand tool panel
                          2. Expand the Action Wizard tool pane
                          3. Click the Create New Action tool button
                          4. Select a Folder on My Computer from the Start With drop-down menu.
                          5. New Act.jpg
                          6. Navigate to and select C:\Contracts in the Browse for Folder dialog, and then click the OK button. You should now see “C:\Contracts” below the drop-down menu as in the screen shot above.
                          7. Expand More Tools in the Choose tools to add pane (bottom left side)
                          8. Select Execute JavaScript
                          9. Click the Configure this task button under Options which will bring up the JavaScript Editor dialog.
                          10. Before you cut and paste the following into the JavaScript Editor there is something important to note. There is a block of seven variables from “var f” through “var myAppearance”. You need to make sure that all 7 are correct. The most important being that the signature field on all 2000 files has the same name. It could be Signature1, or it could be something else, but whatever it is, they all have to be the same.
                          11. Copy and paste the following and then click the OK button on the JavaScript Editor…

/* Sign the contract files */

trustedSigning = app.trustedFunction (

function () {    

var myPlatform = app.platform;

var ppklite = security.getHandler("Adobe.PPKLite");

var f = this.getField("Signature1");

var digIDPath = "/C/Contracts/JeffBisher.pfx";

var myPsswd = "your password";

var myLoc = "your Location";

var myReason = "your reason";

var myContact = "your e-mail";

var myAppearance = "Pen Sig";

var oParams = {

cPassword: myPsswd,

cDIPath: digIDPath

};

ppklite.login(oParams);

app.beginPriv();

try {

f.signatureSign( ppklite,

{  password: myPsswd,

reason: myReason,

contactInfo: myContact,

appearance: myAppearance

}

);

} catch (e) {

console.println("\nFatal Error = "+e.message)

}   

app.endPriv();

}

)

trustedSigning();

12. Select The Same Folder Selected at Start from the Save To drop-down menu

13. Select the Overwrite existing files checkbox

14. Click the Save button on the Create New Action dialog

15. Add “Sign Contracts” (without the quotes) in the EnterAction Name field and then click the Save button

Do the Signing Operation:

1. Click the Sign Contracts tool button in the Actions panel

Again, Good luck,

Steve

• 12. Re: How to use digital signature to sign 2000 pdfs in a folder at once.
                            jeffb34611292 Level 1

Thanks for all of your help Steve! My manager is working on it now.