4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 5:51 PM by wobertc

Lightroom / Camera Raw / Photoshop issues

zones30

I have a workflow problem that's driving me nuts, so I'm hoping someone can help. I organize my photos in Lightroom and do most of my editing in Photoshop CS6. The problem I'm having is that if I select a photo in LR, then work on it in Photoshop, I can't figure out any way to incorporate Adobe Camera Raw into that process. I can open the photos in Raw via Bridge, then process and reopen them in Photoshop, but when I save them, Lightroom doesn't find or recognize them. So what's the workflow to process photos in Camera Raw, then Photoshop, while still having Lightroom recognize them and know where they are?

• 1. Re: Lightroom / Camera Raw / Photoshop issues
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom is an alternative to Bridge/ ACR in Photoshop.

So the most logical workflow would be to Import the raw files into Lightroom (since you say "I organize my photos in Lightroom") and use Lightroom to do the processing of the raw files (the develop module in Lightroom has the same functions for processing the raw data as ACR) then use the "edit in function" from Lightroom to send the processed raw file to Photoshop for further advanced editing.

Some users refer to Lightroom as Adobe camera Raw on steroids with the same editing features and other modules like, Map, Books, Slideshow, Print, Web and Publish facilities.

• 2. Re: Lightroom / Camera Raw / Photoshop issues
            zones30 Level 1

Oh, I see...I haven't spent much time in LR's "Develop" mode yet (I'm new to LR, as you've probably guessed), and didn't reaize it was equivalent to ACR.

Great answer. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Lightroom / Camera Raw / Photoshop issues
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom has all the adjustments that Camera Raw offers. Camera Raw comes into play when you transfer the image from Lightroom to Photoshop. Camera Raw is used to interpret the adjustments made using Lightroom so that the image can be opened in Photoshop. But you don't really need to see the Camera Raw interface because all of your raw adjustments were made using Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Lightroom / Camera Raw / Photoshop issues
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I agree, the best answers are in the previous replies to the OP.  Use Lightroom.!

As an alternative-

If you open a RAW image into Photoshop by a Right-click and select- "Edit In" then "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop"  you will have the image open as a background layer in Photoshop with the small corner "smart object" icon.  If you then Double-left-click on the PS layer thumbnail this will re-open the image in  ACR  linked to Photoshop (not Lightroom).  This allows you to have created many extra adjustment layers in PS but always go back to ACR if you save the edited image as PSD or TIFF with layers. This is 'Non-destructive' re-editing of the background layer.

ScreenShot058.jpg

Julieanne Kost has a video tutorial on this subject at- Lightroom Tutorials by Julieanne Kost

The Difference Between "Edit in Photoshop" and "Open as Smart Object"   (Scroll down to December 5, 2012)