8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 6:09 PM by A.T. Romano

Flicker during pan and zoom

loug38

I have PE 13

Windows 8.1

Panasonic Lumix G6 camera

I am trying to use the pan and zoom tool on some photos in a project I am working on, and there is so much flickering in the water you'd swear its actual moving video.  Any ideas on how to stop this?

I have tried using the Anti-flickering filter in the motion window. Set it to 100 percent and it does little to fix the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Flicker during pan and zoom
          A.T. Romano Level 7

loug38

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit)

Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Update. If not, please do so.

Please excuse the questions...but I do not want to take anything for granted.

What format are these photos in? What are their pixel dimensions? What is their orientation - landscape or portrait?

Is the flicker presenting before or after applying pan and zoom effect to the photo with the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool?

a. in the Pan and Zoom workspace

or

b. when the panned and zoomed photo is returned to the Timeline and that Timeline content is rendered?

If you are using .psd, were they flattened before import into Premiere Elements? Is the situation improved or gone if you use jpg?

Let us start here, and then we will decide what next based on your reply.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Flicker during pan and zoom
            loug38 Level 1

I have 13.0.  When I run update it tells me that my software is up to date.

The photos are jpegs.  3888 x 2592

The photos are fine in the timeline prior to applying the pan and zoom

They are fine in the pan and zoom work space, until I hit the play output button for a preview.

When I play back in the timeline, with or without rendering the flickering occurs.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

• 3. Re: Flicker during pan and zoom
              A.T. Romano Level 7

loug38

Thanks for the reply.

How do intend to export these pan and zoomed photos - as a slideshow in a video format or along with video files in a  particular video format?

Several ideas come to mind in trying to find a possible origin for the flicker

a. Pan and Zoom Tool...

If you created the pan and zoom by keyframing the motion scale (for zoom) and motion position (for pan), do you see the resulting

Timeline image with flicker?

If you created a pan or zoom effect with one of the choices in fx Effects/Presets/Horizontal or Vertical ...., do you see the resulting

Timeline image with flicker?

b. Project Settings and Pan and Zoom Tool...

The pixel dimensions of your photos are neither 4:3 or 16:9...

What is your project preset? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to confirm.

Maybe crop one of your photos to frame aspect ratio 16:9 @ 1920 x 1080 pixels, pan and zoom that image with the Pan and Zoom Tool

and observe the extent of flicker. I am not asking you to do the latter for resource issue, rather to use a sizing that is consistent with

the Pan and Zoom workspace opportunities. By the way, what are your settings in the Pan and Zoom workspace for Hold and Pan Duration?

Let us determine if any of the above gives us any insights on why the flicker for your pan and zoomed photos using the Premiere

Elements Pan and Zoom Tool.

Thanks for the follow.

ATR

• 4. Re: Flicker during pan and zoom
                loug38 Level 1

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding...work, family, etc.

My intent was to make a family video that i would put on a DVD for our viewing at home, as well as a version i would post to YouTube.

I did try using key frames for the motion scale, and motion position, as well as activating the anti-flicker filter.  It helped a lot on some photos, not so much on others.

I also tried with the fx Effects/Presets. It didn't help at all.

I did reduce several photos to a 1920 x 1080 size.  It did not make any difference in the pan ans Zoom tool.

The project preset is set to 1920 x 1080

I have been using 0 as my setting for hold in the  pan and zoom tool and duration of about 3 seconds---the length of the photo/clip

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you taking the time for this.

• 5. Re: Flicker during pan and zoom
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

loug38

Thanks for the update on your situation.

Are these photos all coming from the same camera?

At the present time, at the best of results, are you seeing this flicker associated with pan and zoom only at the Timeline

viewing level? Do you see any of this flicker in a mini test run DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc when

you use these photos with pan and zoom flicker in the production of those end products?

ATR

• 6. Re: Flicker during pan and zoom
                    loug38 Level 1

I will give that a try this evening and update you with the results.

• 7. Re: Flicker during pan and zoom
                      loug38 Level 1

ATR,

Well I made a short test movie, about ten still photos using the pan and zoom tool. All had some degree of flickering after I applied pan and zoom and rendered.  I saved the movie as a  AVCHD file and when I played it back on my PC it looked beautiful!

Thank you for taking the time to trouble shoot!

• 8. Re: Flicker during pan and zoom
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

loug38

Great news that the flicker appears to be a preview issue which will not prevent you from getting excellent quality end product.

Wonderful. Great job with staying the troubleshooting.

I thought I had included the following earlier but I am not spotting it in the thread. So, if you have not already, you might

want to look at the following in the Edit area before the export to see if we can help improve the previewing there:

a. Right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then Highest instead of Automatic.

and

b. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and determine if the Timeline Render Quality setting makes any difference

in the flicker observed in the Edit area monitor.

Best wishes.

ATR