1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 8:02 AM by Andrea Gebhart

User Interface (UI) Too Small on InDesign and CC Suite

micheleb93589871 Level 1

I have a 27″ IMac running Yosemite 10.10.2. Its native screen resolution is 2560×1440.

When I opened CC Indesign 2014 for the first time I was shocked to see that the tools and rest of the user interface were SO SMALL that I was having tremendous difficulty seeing them clearly. I'm talking 5 and 6 point type!!!  And the icons... minuscule!

I lowered the resolution of the display, but type then becomes fuzzy. I searched the web and found that there were others who were having the same problem.

I find it hard to believe that a company specializing in software for the design/creative community would overlook something as CRITICAL as size of the graphical user interface and its customization to work optimally on different platforms and with different display sizes and to satisfy the particular needs of each user.

The UI obviously greatly impacts our working speed and facility.

I called Adobe and their tech support could not help. I called Apple and got the same. 

I've been a graphic designer for over 20 years.  Frankly, at this point, I find the suite UNusable (I took a quick look at Photoshop and Illustrator and the same issue applies).

This is just unbelievable!  Anyone out there have an answer?

Someone suggested we should repeat our complaints INDEPENDENTLY in the general forum instead of them being buried on one thread.  GREAT IDEA!!

• 1. Re: User Interface (UI) Too Small on InDesign and CC Suite
          Andrea Gebhart

I'm in the same boat, and it's incredibly frustrating.

• For Illustrator, I was able to go to Preferences > User Interface and select Scale to Higher Supported Scale Factor and that resolved the issue in there.
          • For Photoshop, I was able to go to Preferences > Experimental Features and select Scale UI 200% for high-density displays (but that's only for Windows).
          • For InDesign, I haven't been able to find a solution and Adobe has not been able to help resolve the issue. They say it's a known issue with no solution.
            • Because I'm tired of squinting, I've added a custom Environmental Variable (per these instructions) with a value of 2. Adobe tells me this isn't a bianary value and it needs to be either 0 or 1, but the 2 at least gives me a normal-sized interface, but with it comes a gigantic mouse/cursor. I use InDesign on a daily basis, and I'm not sure what's worse, an ant-sized interface or gigantic mouse.

Like you, I'm disappointed that Adobe, who specializes in design software, has overlooked UI customization and has yet to develop a solution for it. I hope they make finding a solution a priority.