7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2007 1:42 PM by Newsgroup_User

Batch resize AND resloution

magicman718
      OK-So I've tried this over and over and can't get it to work. - Here's what I've tried so far.
      I opened an image, change the image size to 100% x 100% x 72 DPI.
      I save the history as a command. The problem is the history saves the actual PIXEL dimensions of the image, not 100%. My folder i need to batch has all different sized images in it, and I need to them to all be converted to 72DPI, and resized to fit in a 600x600 area. Does anyone know what to do?
      I tried to be clever and open up the javascript and remove the size paramers, but then I get an error for the missing values.
      Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Batch resize AND resloution
          Level 7
          I would create two commands

1. Resizing to 600 wide and variable height x 72.
          2. Resize to 600x600

alex

magicman718 wrote:
          > OK-So I've tried this over and over and can't get it to work. - Here's what
          > I've tried so far.
          > I opened an image, change the image size to 100% x 100% x 72 DPI.
          > I save the history as a command. The problem is the history saves the actual
          > PIXEL dimensions of the image, not 100%. My folder i need to batch has all
          > different sized images in it, and I need to them to all be converted to 72DPI,
          > and resized to fit in a 600x600 area. Does anyone know what to do?
          > I tried to be clever and open up the javascript and remove the size paramers,
          > but then I get an error for the missing values.
          > Thanks in advance!
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Batch resize AND resloution
            Level 7
            magicman718 wrote:
            > OK-So I've tried this over and over and can't get it to work. - Here's what
            > I've tried so far.
            > I opened an image, change the image size to 100% x 100% x 72 DPI.
            > I save the history as a command. The problem is the history saves the actual
            > PIXEL dimensions of the image, not 100%. My folder i need to batch has all
            > different sized images in it, and I need to them to all be converted to 72DPI,
            > and resized to fit in a 600x600 area. Does anyone know what to do?
            > I tried to be clever and open up the javascript and remove the size paramers,
            > but then I get an error for the missing values.
            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            >

magicman718,

Unless you are thinking of trying to print these, the DPI makes no
            difference. Just resize them to to fit your 600x600 pixel size and that
            is what they will display at.

SKB
            • 3. Re: Batch resize AND resloution
              magicman718 Level 1
              I need to keep the files size down, that's why I'm trying to convert it to 72DPI-It doesn't need to be high print quality.
              • 4. Re: Batch resize AND resloution
                Level 7
                >I need to keep the files size down, that's why I'm trying to convert it to
                >72DPI-It doesn't need to be high print quality.

As SKB mentioned, DPI is a print concept. It has nothing to do with the
                images that are going to be displayed on the web.

a 600x600 pixel images at 1000dpi is the exact same file size as a 600x600
                pixel images at 72dpi. On screen they will look exactly the same.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: Batch resize AND resloution
                  Level 7
                  magicman718 wrote:
                  > I need to keep the files size down, that's why I'm trying to convert it to 72DPI-It doesn't need to be high print quality.
                  >
                  Your file size will be affected by the number of pixels and the amount
                  of compression used. 600 pixels is 600 pixels. The DPI would only affect
                  printing size.

600px x 600px @ 600 DPI would make a 1in x 1in print but, is still 600px
                  on your screen. Picture with no compression around 300k, 50% compression
                  around 30k.

600px x 600px @ 72 DPI would make a 8.3in x 8.3in print but, is still
                  600px on your screen. Picture with no compression around 300k, 50%
                  compression around 30k.

Try it yourself.......

Create a new file, 600x600 canvas size at 600 dpi resolution. Draw a
                  600x600 square to fill the canvas. Fill it with a solid color. Select
                  jpeg 100% Quality in the optimize panel, check the file size using preview.

Do the same, only use 72 DPI for the resolution instead of 600. The file
                  sizes will be the same.

Does this make sense?

SKB
                  • 6. Re: Batch resize AND resloution
                    Level 7
                    magicman718 wrote:
                    > I need to keep the files size down, that's why I'm trying to convert it to 72DPI-It doesn't need to be high print quality.
                    >

This is related to scanning tips but, discusses the differences between
                    screen, print and scan resolutions.

http://www.scantips.com/

SKB
                    • 7. Re: Batch resize AND resloution
                      Level 7
                      On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, SKB wrote

>This is related to scanning tips but, discusses the differences between
                      >screen, print and scan resolutions.
                      >
                      > http://www.scantips.com/

He could even read this as it's a lot shorter:

http://www.emdpi.com/imagedpi.html

--
                      Richard Mason
                      http://www.emdpi.com