7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2007 4:07 PM by SymTsb

ActionScript 4 or 5 with ASP

yy2007
      Hi, I am now reading an old project (~2003), and trying to create an external document. In the document, I have to explain how this program works. While I was reading this program, I found that the embedded Flash page is written in ActionScript 4 or 5. The Flash page accepts the user password and passes it to ASP page. This seems to be an old or unique technique.

This program was written by a former programmer. He created all by himself, and left no expalnation, no documentation. So, the people who took over the project have had problems. Is there any good way to convert the document written in ActionScript 4 or 5 to a current version? It seems very hard....
        • 1. Re: ActionScript 4 or 5 with ASP
          crazyjoemilan Level 2
          ActionScript 3 is the latest version of AS.

Flash is currently on version 8. If you're talking about Flash 4 or Flash 5, then he probably wrote the code in AS1, possible AS2.

In your flash help logs, there is a section that explains the difference between AS1 and AS2. I recommend checking that out, it may help you :)
          • 2. Re: ActionScript 4 or 5 with ASP
            yy2007 Level 1
            >ActionScript 3 is the latest version of AS. Flash is currently on version 8. If you're talking about Flash 4 or Flash 5, then he probably wrote the code in AS1, possible AS2.

Yes, I mean, the program was written in Flash 4 or 5.... So, the ActionScript should be AS1 or AS2. When I read the "list of variables", I see some terms like "_level0" or "_root". According to the Adobe - Developer Center, the terms were used with Flash LIte 1.1. In any event, the technology is not current! I don't think I need to learn it :)

>In your flash help logs, there is a section that explains the difference between AS1 and AS2. I recommend checking that out, it may help you :)

Thank you, I will check it out. At least I found that how the Flash file takes the user input, and how it converts the input value into a new variable. I will see if the the conversion of AS1 or AS2 into AS3 is easy, or almost imporssible(!) I also heard that the browser compatibility has nothing to do with the version of Flash. I think I can narrow down the problem. Thanks, again :)

yy2007
            • 3. Re: ActionScript 4 or 5 with ASP
              SymTsb Level 2
              _level0 and _root are calls to the main timeline in the movie and are reserved words in AS since Flash 3 or 4 I believe.
              • 4. Re: ActionScript 4 or 5 with ASP
                yy2007 Level 1
                >_level0 and _root are calls to the main timeline in the movie and are reserved words in AS since Flash 3 or 4 I believe.

Hello SymTsb. Thank you for your reply. I can see the code only from the movie screen > debug tab > "list of objects" and "list of variables". My problems is, I don't know how I can read the code on a sort of editable screen, and how I can modify them. Or, is it impossible to read and modify the code from Flash 8? Flash 8 is the version we have now. Thank you.

I attach some part of the code here.

• 5. Re: ActionScript 4 or 5 with ASP
                  SymTsb Level 2
                  Assuming you have the master FLA document, open that in Flash. Then Window->Actions Actions can be applied to on the timeline, a movie clip or a button.

Frame actions applied to a frame will have a small "a" above them for ActionScript. It's harder to see the code on a movie clip or button but the easiest way is the movie explorer Window->Movie Explorer This will tell you every symbol in your movie per scene per frame and where the code is. That is usually the quickest way to find the code you are looking for.
                  • 6. Re: ActionScript 4 or 5 with ASP
                    yy2007 Level 1
                    >Assuming you have the master FLA document, open that in Flash. Then Window->Actions Actions can be applied to on the timeline, a movie clip or a button.
                    >Frame actions applied to a frame will have a small "a" above them for ActionScript. It's harder to see the code on a movie clip or button but the easiest way is the movie explorer Window->Movie Explorer This will tell you every symbol in your movie per scene per frame and where the code is. That is usually the quickest way to find the code you are looking for.

Thanks. I never noticed Movie Explore panel. I can see the ActionScript..... However, I still don't understand the "LIst Objects" "List Variables" tabs. When I click control > test movie > Debug > , I can see the code I posted. That's the way I can see the critical code. I can also see the same result as "Output" in the Properties pane. So, I am still wondering if some code appears, but other code is hidden..
                    • 7. Re: ActionScript 4 or 5 with ASP
                      SymTsb Level 2
                      Debug List Objects and List Variables are an interesting tool. They tell you at run time in a given frame, what exists and with what properties.

Just because it doesn't appear here, doesn't mean that AS isn't being run. All these two features do is show you information about the movie. They do not show you code at all but rather the properties for all Objects (movie clips, classes, etc) or Variables (instance names, text field settings, etc) that have been created by the code.

If you want to see the code itself, you must go through Movie Explorer and find it.