13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 7:02 AM by Cari Jansen

Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]

[Eric B]

Hi guys,

We recently switched to CC2014 from CS5.5 and one of the feature we had been using a lot before was the Quick Apply window.  However when we want to use the Quick Apply feature in CC2014.1 with the numpad, the numbers 789 and 123 don't work, while 456 work without problem.  Our style name has numbers in them and it's super practical to have the numpad and Quick Apply working together at 100%.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks you.

• 1. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
          [Eric B] Level 1

Can someone confirm whether or not they have this problem?  If you do or not, can you please specify which version of InDesign you are using?

Thanks this is much appreciated.

• 2. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With no one replying it seems as though you might be an outlier. As a stupid test does it work if you interchange the two lines of numbers using 789 for 123 and the reverse?

• 3. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
              [Eric B] Level 1

Can you elaborate on interchanging the key, it's the numpad on the right of the keyboard, when I press 7, I expect to see 7.  Not sure how can this be rebinded, it's the OS default behavior.

They key 7,8,9 and 1,2,3 from the numpad don't get registered at all in the Quick Apply window search box.  Everywhere else in InDesign it will work, but not there. And what's weird is that the keys 4,5,6 from the numpad work without problem in this search box.

The Quick Apply window brings a search box where you can start typing, but for some reason it's the only place where those 6 keys do nothing when you press them.

We have over 30 users here with this problem.

• 4. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
                [Eric B] Level 1

Oh and even using the On-Screen Keyboard with the numpad on, it has the same behavior.

So it's not our keyboard, because it work everywhere else and it's not because of numlock, because 4,5,6 work.

It is just the Quick Apply window.

Can you tell me what version you are using? In CS5.5 it work flawlessly, I've just tested it now.

• 5. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can you tell us a bit more about the machines and their configurations.

Sounds like something is intercepting the keystrokes.

• 6. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
                    [Eric B] Level 1

They are 64bit Window 7 Dell PC with Adobe CC2014.1 build 10.1.0.70 x64.

What else would you like to know?

I'm confused, I don't understand why it's the only place those keys don't work.

• 7. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
                      Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

hi Eric,

Not sure if I can help, but maybe we can nut out what's going on.

• Which commands are enabled in the command drop down menu?
                        quick-apply.png
                      • Also when the field is empty (no numbers entered) – do you see the styles that don't display when you enter any of the 1-2-3 6-7-8 numbers?
                        quick-apply-2.png
                      • What happens if you press one of the numbers above the alphabet part of your keyboard? Do things work normally then?
                      • What is the keyboard brand you are using? Also can you provide us with info about the Windows version you are using?

Cari

• 8. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
                        [Eric B] Level 1

Hi Cari,

• Which commands are enabled in the command drop down menu?
                          Everything except script.

quickapply.jpg

• Also when the field is empty (no numbers entered) – do you see the styles that don't display when you enter any of the 1-2-3 6-7-8 numbers?
                          Yes
                        • What happens if you press one of the numbers above the alphabet part of your keyboard? Do things work normally then?
                          Yes the key above the alphabet registers correctly.
                        • What is the keyboard brand you are using? Also can you provide us with info about the Windows version you are using?
                          They are pretty generic keyboard, nothing fancy.  Window 7 64bit with Adobe CC2014 build 10.1.0.70 x64
                        • 9. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]

Eric,

There's a couple of other things I can think of to try:

• you might have already tried this – but try is resetting the InDesign preferences on the workstation that is having issues. (Press Ctrl+Shift+Alt on startup).
                          • remove any third party plug-ins you might have installed in InDesign as well.
                          • Is there a chance you are able to update the version of InDesign CC you are running to the latest release build 11.0.0.22?  (2014.1.0 Release), and repeat the tests in that?
                          • when you create a new InDesign document and import the styles from the 'problem' document (Paragraph Styles panel menu: Load All Styles), are you able replicate the issue in the new document?
                          • when you create a new document in InDesign and add a few new styles with numbers, can you replicate the issue?

Another thing to check on your Windows computer is the drivers that are installed for your keyboard.

• 10. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]

One more thing (sorry forgot in previous message):

• Is this an issue you can replicate on other computers / keyboards in the company?

I wish I could test at my end for you, but unfortunately I only work on laptop-keyboards hopefully someone else out there is willing to test for you – so we know if it's an issue that can be replicated.

• 11. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
                              [Eric B] Level 1
                              • you might have already tried this – but try is resetting the InDesign preferences on the workstation that is having issues. (Press Ctrl+Shift+Alt on startup).
                                I haven't but I just tried and it didn't fix it.
                              • remove any third party plug-ins you might have installed in InDesign as well.
                                The Only 3rd party plug-in we use is Math Magic, I have just removed it, reset the preferences and it still don't work.
                              • Is there a chance you are able to update the version of InDesign CC you are running to the latest release build 11.0.0.22?  (2014.1.0 Release), and repeat the tests in that?
                                I think at this point it seems to be the only solution left and to cross our finger this will work, but updating PC's is a little tricky because it needs to go through IT software packaging and those affected PC are off the grid in a secret environment.
                              • when you create a new InDesign document and import the styles from the 'problem' document (Paragraph Styles panel menu: Load All Styles), are you able replicate the issue in the new document?
                                New document, with or without our styles have the same behavior.
                              • when you create a new document in InDesign and add a few new styles with numbers, can you replicate the issue?
                                You know in the quick apply you can type anything and normally even if you don't have a style with the entered character it will be inserted in the search box, but we don't get to this point with the 7,8,9 and 1,2,3 from the numpad.
                              • Is this an issue you can replicate on other computers / keyboards in the company?
                                Actually they are not laptop, Dell also sell desktop PC.  My computer is an HP Laptop with an external keyboard and I have the same issue they are describing me.

I wish I could test at my end for you, but unfortunately I only work on laptop-keyboards hopefully someone else out there is willing to test for you – so we know if it's an issue that can be replicated.

So on your end when you go to the quick apply window (ctrl+enter) and use the numpad key 7,8,9 and 1,2,3 you see them been displayed in the search box?

• 12. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]
                                [Eric B] Level 1

Just to avoid possible confusion here is an image that I hope will help clear possible confusion on the problem we are having.

I have opened both CC2014 and CS5.5 with a new document, then opened the Quick Apply Window.  I then I type using the numpad in the following order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.  See image for the result.

numpadexplained.png

• 13. Re: Numpad 789 and 123 not working in Quick Apply[ctrl+enter] window.  [CC2014.1]

Unfortunately I don't have an external keyboard to test on Eric - so I can't replicate here. But I totally understand the issue you are seeing, and it seems to point to a genuine issue indeed. On a positive note there is a work-around for the time being, which would be to use the numbers on the alphabetic part of the keyboard.

One other thing you can try – but after reading all your previous responses I'm almost certain this won't help is to save the document to .idml and reopen it.

• File > Save as > Format: InDesign CS4 or later (IDML)
                                  • Then open the .idml file in the latest version.