21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 6:07 PM by robdillon

Quick solution to double the amount of frames

nyds0806 Level 1

I created a lengthy Flash at 30 frames per second. The client wants it to now be at 60 frames per second. That's an easy change, but the motion is now too fast.

Is there a quick method to double the amount of frames on the timeline without doing so manually?

• 1. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Here's a link to the only method that I know of to extend a timeline: dankrusi: // / stretching the timeline in flash

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
            nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

Thanks. Hope you've been well. A few questions...

1) So the factor to exactly double the frames is 0.5?

2) Do I first need to select all frames before running the command?

3) How does this affect movies placed on the timeline: Do I need to go into each movie and do the same, or is this a global change for all placed movies?

• 3. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes, if you have additional content inside movieClips on the timeline, then each one will have to be done individually.

• 4. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                nyds0806 Level 1

Thanks, this is working very well.....what valuable piece of code.

On another note, I have that ticker starting in scene 1, and when a scene switches to the next scene, the ticker jumps back to the first frame of its movie, creating a sudden jump in motion. Another reply here gave me a code but I don't know how to implement making the ticker loop movie play interrupted from scene to scene. Can you clarify implementation of this code?

var tickerX:int;

//and then at the end of scenes:

tickerX=ticker_mc.x;  //if ticker_mc is the name of your ticker

//and the beginning of scenes:

ticker_mc.x=tickerX;

And can this code exist in the same frame where I have the nextScene():  code?

• 5. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

I have no idea. It looks like you are creating a "global" variable, tickerX, probably at the start of the movie. Then you have a property, ticker_mc.x, and you are holding that value in the variable tickerX, probably so that you can use the value in the next scene. But I have no idea what is going on in your movie.

Using scenes is always problematic. They are a remnant of the earliest versions of Flash. I haven't used a scene in Flash since 1998, so I really can't help much with problems that might arise when using them.

• 6. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                    nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

New issue...after using the script to stretch the movie, I see this oddity...

When testing to entire Flash (Command > Return) .swf animation halts at scene 3 frame 988 (approx). But when testing a scene alone (Option > Command > Return)  it plays fine.

The .fla file is here:  http://www.nydesign.com/FlashTest.zip

I don't see any actionscript in the frames around that area. Why would it just stop? Did that command script I ran to adjust frames create a glitch in my file?

• 7. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

I don't know. I looked at all of the code in the movie. There is nothing that will cause the movie to stop on that frame. I looked at the timeline and it looks like you spliced together two scenes just before this problem frame.

There is nothing that I can see in that code that I linked you to that would cause a problem. It just counts frames between keyframes and adds or subtracts frames to make the change in frame rate.

• 8. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                        nyds0806 Level 1

Is there a way to edit the code within Flash? Perhaps in the code, I can detect that scene/frame and try some editing?

• 9. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

You could add a textfield to the main timeline and run an enterframe function that puts the current frame number of the main timeline into it. That will tell you the exact frame where the movie stalls. I doubt that will give you anything useful. You could also remove layers until the movie runs to the end. That will tell you in which layer the problem resides.

If I take a section of the movie from frame 963 to the end and paste it into a new movie, that new section will play just fine as an .swf. So I'm guessing that the problem is the first section of the movie, before frame 963.

• 10. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                            nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

I figured out a work around. Since after the script, the Flash unexpectedly stopped at a specific frame, I took the remainder of the Flash after that frame, created a new movie, and placed that movie in a frame just before the Flash halted. It worked. Evidently, although the main timeline stopped, it did not stop movies already triggered prior to the halt from continuing on their own timelines.

Only question now, what is the best format to convert the Flash for the widest audience to view?   MP4?  MOV? Other?

Here it is: http://gisser.com/raregrowthstockopp/new60fps/index.html

• 11. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

If you're expecting to have a wide distribution, then you should probably make the video compatible with youtube. Here's a link to their information on compatible files types and compression: Supported YouTube file formats - YouTube Help

• 12. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                                nyds0806 Level 1

My client was not satisfied with the Youtube video quality. I exported the Flash to a .mov file, then in Media Encoder, exported it as the highest Youtube setting.

Do you have another suggestion of how to save it for Youtube at a more crisp definition? Or was I doing this properly?

And let me add that on Youtube.com, the video is crisp, its when I embed it on a webpage that the resolution drops. How do I achieve the same clarity as Youtube shows it?

Thank you.

• 13. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

I'm guessing that you used the youtube 1080p settings in the Media Encoder. Did you keep your movie at 60fps or did you lower it to something else when you made the video? That setting in ME has a cap of 8 mbps. You could raise the maximum bitrate and see if it looks cleaner. Did you keep the image size the same as the original?

• 14. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                                    nyds0806 Level 1

Actually, I did keep it at 60fps. I used the default settings for "YouTube 2160p 4K"....which selected 3,840 width x 2,160 height, both target and max bitrates 40, I also checked "Use maximum render quality" and "Use frame blending."  I did not change the image size, as I don't see where that control is.

What do you suggest I do differently?  Thank you again for all your guidance.

• 15. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

Your original file is 1000 X 562 pixels, or something like that. Those setting are enlarging the image to 3840 X 2160 pixels. That's a more than 3 X enlargement of the pixels. That is where your fuzziness is coming from. You want to keep the image size the same as the original.

• 16. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                                        nyds0806 Level 1

Where are the image size settings? Is there any else I should change in my settings I sent you?

• 17. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

If you are looking at the settings in the right side listings in the Media Encoder, then right click on the setting that you want to change. If you are looking at the setting as it is selected under the movie listing on the left side of Media Encoder, then double click on the setting that is selected. In either case you will get a new window that lists each option and you can customize the settings as you like.

• 18. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                                            nyds0806 Level 1

So since my file is 1000 x 562, you're saying I'll achieve the best definition by selecting Youtube 1080p; then matching the width and height pixel; and also increasing the Target and Max. bitrate from the default 16 to what number?

Shall I also select Max Render Quality and use Frame Blending?

Thanks Rob

PS. Tell me your favorite single malt scotch and shipping address...I want to send you a bottle as thanks for your time. I suggest Glenroths or Oban.

• 19. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

Exporting to video from Flash is not an exact science, like any file export that uses compression, you have to try different settings until you get a result that is satisfactory. Your file uses a lot of bitmap images and vector text. All of that is converted to bitmaps when it is exported to the video file. For the best possible image you want to keep your image size the same for the video as it was for the Flash file. If you increase the image size, you are just stretching the pixels and that always results in a softer image.

The bitrate is the total amount of data that is transferred over a given period of time. The higher the rate, the greater the amount of detail that you can send. There is a realistic and practical limit to this, but all in all, the higher the data rate, the better the quality of the video. You want to use the best render quality that you can get. Frame blending is useful when you are using a lot of compression or reducing the frame rate.

I can't really give you an exact formula for the perfect video output, you'll have to try a few different options and see what you get. Remember, only change one thing at a time.

• 20. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames
                                                nyds0806 Level 1

Thanks, this is very helpful.  BTW, why do you suggest Youtube over other formats for video presentation? What makes it most widely viewable?

Also, I was told if I stream a .mov, it will play right away.

Is this possible to program a .mov to stream vs. downloading?

• 21. Re: Quick solution to double the amount of frames

Youtube is most common web video medium, so they've taken the time and effort to set up playback options that will work well in most cases. If you are going to embed this video into a web browser page, it will begin to play back as it is downloading if you have set it to play automatically. Here are a couple of links to using video in html: HTML5 Video, Using HTML5 audio and video - Web developer guide | MDN