4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2007 9:31 PM by Newsgroup_User

Question regarding jpg slices

P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
      I am working on a jpg image in Fireworks MX and I have created several Fireworks roll over buttons in different locations around this image. Since this is quite a large file, I would like to slice the entire image but noticed that randomly placing the roll over buttons on my image, it already creates the slices for the buttons. The problem I have is that the image slices are cut up into many pieces with some of them quite small due to the placement of some of the roll over buttons. What I would like to know is can I change the size of the roll over button slices or do these stay the default size? I would like to slice the entire image into individual rows instead of creating many slices of different sizes. Is there a correct way to slice images with randomly placed roll over buttons? Thanks for your help.
        • 1. Re: Question regarding jpg slices
          Level 1
          It is hard to understand what you are trying to say.

Uhm, do you have web page uploaded online, where you work with your images in question. So I can take a look at it and make some suggestion.

Though, I try to avoid, lot of times, to use sliced images for some reasons. But I need to take a look at your web page with images in question.
          • 2. Re: Question regarding jpg slices
            P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
            Sorry to say but I don't have anything up on the website as of yet. But to put it into simpler terms, the image I am working on has about 20 rollover button symbols randomly placed around the image. On the Fireworks toolbar, if I click on the 'show slices and hotspots' it cuts up my image with slices over the button symbols. These slices are automatically added when creating button symbols. Can these button slices be changed in size so that the slice incorporates larger areas of the main image.
            • 3. Re: Question regarding jpg slices
              Level 1
              Hi P-C-Surgeonz,

I am not sure if I am following you about button slices can be changed in FW.

Though, I am not comfortable to post my email address here -- to prevent spammed emails. Can you enable Private Message here at forum, you can enable it in your profile. Once you enable that, I will be able to send you a brief Private Message to include my email address, and you can zip that file and I will have a look at it on my machine. You also may want to attach a brief description as to what you'd want to do with those images as in specific size (enlarged to? or reduced to in specific pixel resolution, and I can try to fix it for you.)

I can take a look around sliced image area, since I haven't been around to it for quite some time. But I can try and help you with your situation. How does that sounds?

You can send your private message to me, I will see it on top of this forum discussion and go from there, ok? It is really up to you. BTW, i use Mac Pro and PowerBook using OSX v. 10.4.8, just in case if you need to know this. Along with my system information, I also use FW8, just so you know.

Cheers, DWD (Brian)

quote:

Originally posted by: P-C-Surgeonz
              Sorry to say but I don't have anything up on the website as of yet. But to put it into simpler terms, the image I am working on has about 20 rollover button symbols randomly placed around the image. On the Fireworks toolbar, if I click on the 'show slices and hotspots' it cuts up my image with slices over the button symbols. These slices are automatically added when creating button symbols. Can these button slices be changed in size so that the slice incorporates larger areas of the main image.

• 4. Re: Question regarding jpg slices
                Level 7
                P-C-Surgeonz wrote:

> Is there a correct way to slice images with randomly placed
                > roll over buttons? Thanks for your help.

One of the reasons you don't see web pages with randomly placed buttons
                is because there is no good way to add them to an HTML page. Consider
                redesigning before rejigging slices.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                --------------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                --------------------------------------------------------------