7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 6:39 AM by rob day

Indent to Here

Roy Stewart

Hi,

I am doing a project which involves me adding an 'indent to here" marker.

I want to add an indent to here after Bullet+space in image 1 so it would look like Image 2 (I'm showing invisibles to show what I am after).

Image 1

1.jpg

Image 2 - what I want it to look like

2.jpg

I don't want to use the find and replace GREP style as I have 700 individual pages to change.

Is there any way of adding code to a GREP style within a Paragraph Style which looks for the (Bullet Point + Space) and replaces with (Bullet Point + Space + Indent to here)

I believe that the code for the GREP would be: ~8\s~i

An action similar to the Actions in Photoshop would be brilliant for this.

I'm Using Indesign CC 2014

Hopefully someone can help.

Cheers,

Roy

• 1. Re: Indent to Here
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

GREP styles can only format, they don't find and replace.

You could do a regular or GREP find-and-replace to do this.

You could also replace the bullet-space with bullet-tab, and set the hanging indent in your paragraph style.

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.24.08 PM.png

• 2. Re: Indent to Here
            Roy Stewart Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

How to I replace the bullet-space with a bullet-tab?

• 3. Re: Indent to Here
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use a regular find/change or a GREP find/change. (note that in each case, the find what has a space after the code for the bullet point)

You can choose to look only in text with a particular paragraph style applied, and/or you can change the paragraph style in the same operation.

(You can't see that option in my screen shots, because something has gone wrong in my program, and I'll have to reset it.)

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.41.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.42.08 PM.png

• 4. Re: Indent to Here
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can see from your invisibles that you are keying the bullet and the space after. If you use the Bullets and Numbering paragraph attribute you can automate the bullet and spacing and edit them later.

Like this where I've set the indents along with a tab for the spacing. You can see in my list there's no tab invisible because I haven't typed a bullet or tab:

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 4.55.47 PM.png

• 5. Re: Indent to Here
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Some very good suggestions here, but I am curious as to why you think a search-and-replace would not work on "700 individual pages". Do you mean each page is a separate document? (Even then I'd open as much as possible documents at once and change in "All Documents".)

• 6. Re: Indent to Here
                    Roy Stewart Level 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help guys.

My problem is that I have 2 character styles in one paragraph style.

The first line is bold with no bullet point and the bullets after the bold are in a separate character style. I want to add a indent to here or tab after a bullet to the bullet point character style.

I am producing a catalogue which is made up of 700 individual single page files. Crazy I know, but the software we generate the data from only allows us to make single pages.

The only way I can think of is to do the find and replace GREP style in a book once the publication has been created. The only issue with this is that I would need to go through every page to see if text etc has been pushed out of position/knocked onto the next line.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Indent to Here
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first line is bold with no bullet point and the bullets after the bold are in a separate character style. I want to add a indent to here or tab after a bullet to the bullet point character style.

It's hard to imagine a case where using a character style applied to an entire paragraph instead of a paragraph style is a good idea. You can see how it's backing you into a corner—you can't use the typical reverse indenting with a tab or the Bullets and Numbering attribute in your single paragraph style without affecting the paragraph with the bold character style applied. So you'll be forced to use indent to here. It would be possible to script opening the 700 files and applying the search, or as Jongware suggests opening them in batches and search all documents.