6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2007 11:14 PM by ggshow

Unable to get flash movie to work

G_Kinocky
      Hi

Help - I'm stumped!

I've downloaded a flash template from the web and can't get it to work (surprise). It gives an error when I try to run it

The template came with the already published swf file which works fine - but has "your company name" in the banner. I want to replace it with some other text.

The template also came with the .fla file with it, which I can open and edit etc, but if I try to run it without even changing anything it gives me the error

I've spent the last 2 days learning flash (no sleep) and no joy

The flash movie and source .fla are at http://70.87.170.2/~gdmt/flash/

Help!

The error is

**Error** Symbol=Symbol 41, layer=Layer 1, frame=5:Line 1: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler
      stop();

**Error** Symbol=Symbol 45, layer=Layer 1, frame=5:Line 1: Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler
      stop();

Total ActionScript Errors: 2 Reported Errors: 2
      Target not found: Target="/drag1" Base="_level0"
      ... and then repeats the above line forever
        • 1. Re: Unable to get flash movie to work
          jsavagedesign
          The error happens when you try to apply the "stop(); " action to a movieclip or button and not on the timeline.
          In the FLA, open the action panel and click on some of the movie clips and/or buttons on the stage. My guess is that when you click on one of them you will just see "stop();" action in the actions frame and not "onClipEvent(mouseup){ }" or "on(press){ }"

if this is what you want try this on a button:
          on(release){
          stop();
          }
          • 2. Re: Unable to get flash movie to work
            ggshow Level 2
            1) from library, go into Symbol 41, frame 5, select the movieclip instance on layer one, at action panel, delete the script stop();
            2) do the same thing for Symbol 45.
            3) open scene panel (Shift F2), delete the preloader scene, it is not working.
            preview, now it work

my opinion:
            1) there is "many" mistake in the fla, it is not a good example.
            2) the fla file is using oudated AS1, you are suppose to learn AS2 or AS3 now.
            • 3. Re: Unable to get flash movie to work
              sergiourra
              ... "many" is a nice word ggshow.
              • 4. Re: Unable to get flash movie to work
                G_Kinocky Level 1
                Hey - that worked !!!!
                You geniuses!!!!

I think this is a template from 2003 and although I have no idea if it has many faults of not as I don't really know flash (can you tell :-) I'm starting to loath it. Problem is I'm stuck with it as the friend I'm doing the site for likes it.

Know of any good places to pick up free flash web site templates?
                • 5. Re: Unable to get flash movie to work
                  G_Kinocky Level 1
                  hmm - don't suppose you know how to change the "your company name" text?
                  • 6. Re: Unable to get flash movie to work
                    ggshow Level 2
                    under the layer folder "logo", layer "logo", frame 25, you have a movieclip instance of "Symbol 3",

inside Symbol 3, you have a company logo in Layer 1, company name in Layer 4, & a slogan in Layer 5. You can either go into Symbol 3 to modify it, or delete Symbol 3 and design your own logo with company name to place at the layer.

I believe the original FLA created by older version of flash, may be it can works properly in Flash 5 / below.

I believe there is no free lunch in this world, no shortcut to produce a great work, find more references & resources, get some tutorials, or join training if you can affort, if facing scripting problem you can come to us, many people here willing to help.

Good luck