5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 8:38 AM by fed250

Does AE ever use "double precision FP64" computing for visual effects?

fed250

I am trying to find out if after effects ever really utilizes double precision compute for anything or not. I know basic video encoding doesn't really ever use it but I wonder if the particle effects benefit from double precision or if it is mostly just single precision.

I currently am running a GTX Titan Black which has a good amount of double precision performance but I am not sure if I really ever utilize it. I am looking at the new Titan X which basically replaces the double precision compute power with even more single precision. I mostly create real time game content and can always benefit from the single precision performance upgrade but I also use After effects a fair amount and don't want to lose performance boosts in it. I may get more benefit out of the Titan X because any rendering I do is usually through cpu renderers and not gpu renderers but I don't know what changes After Effects has made since CS6.

• 1. Re: Does AE ever use "double precision FP64" computing for visual effects?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE uses the GPU for very little. Unless you're using certain third-party plugins, the only thing AE uses the GPU to accelerate is the obsolete ray-traced renderer. If you don't want to listen to me, listen to Adobe: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

• 2. Re: Does AE ever use "double precision FP64" computing for visual effects?
            fed250 Level 1

"If you don't want to listen to me, listen to Adobe: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects"

I certainly am interested in what you have to say, I couldn't find any specifics on how and what utilized the gpu on any Adobe products. I use AE, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Soundbooth, Flash, and Indesign all at least on occasion.  I can't find anything to suggest that any of these benefit much from double precision computing.  That would mean that a card with a lot more single precision compute power would be more beneficial for me.  If I used a gpu rendering software like Octane then it would matter but I use Mental Ray and Vray which are both cpu.

• 3. Re: Does AE ever use "double precision FP64" computing for visual effects?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Totally irrelevant. Effects like Particle World aren't even hardware accelerated, so what would even be the point about single precision vs. double precision? And for all intents and purposes it's even irrelevant if this were the case - many pixel operations and associated position calculations are quantized/ integer for which single precision is sufficient. Double precision really only pays off for complex vector operations where rounding errors may e.g. mess with collision detection for dynamics or similar.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Does AE ever use "double precision FP64" computing for visual effects?
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere uses the GPU a lot more than AE does (again, unless you're using certain third-party effects like Element, Red Giant Universe, etc.), so I would be more focused on that as far as GPU is concerned. Adobe, in general, isn't really focused on GPU acceleration for most of their apps in the current builds. I can't speak for their future plans though. As GPU's become more powerful, who knows?

• 5. Re: Does AE ever use "double precision FP64" computing for visual effects?
                  fed250 Level 1

That's kinda what I was trying to figure out. I found mention of enabling gpu boosting all over but nothing really describing what gets boosted and what type of computing is involved. I know that particle effects in many different 3D software can get a big boost due to calculating the collisions and it is used heavily for fluid simulations but thats really not the stuff I am doing.  As for the vectors, I imagine that is were CAD work can benefit.  Well that kind of wraps up my question then. For the most part gpu isn't a huge factor in Adobe.  I already have plenty of CPU power and ram so I should be set.  I think I will swap out for the Titan X then.  It will be more useful for the game engine real time work I do.  THanks

And also thanks to Szalam