4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2015 10:18 PM by Willi Adelberger

Looking for a Layout Suggestion

Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

I am working on a recipe book, see sample page. The page will have as many recipes that can completely fit, usually 1 or 2 per page. Pages will be threaded with 500 recipes.

I am looking for a suggestion on a way to handle the 2 column portion of the page. I have tried a text anchor. I have tried a table. Each method works, but has a positive and negative to the ease at which it can be mass produced.

Is there something with either method I am overlooking, or perhaps another method all-together that could maximize productivity for this type of layout?

recipe.jpg

• 1. Re: Looking for a Layout Suggestion
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could do it as a two-column layout, with every paragraph style except the ingredients one having the Span Columns attribute.

It would need some fine-tuning, but something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 5.08.45 PM.png

• 2. Re: Looking for a Layout Suggestion
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I think you mean a two column text frame (better to make an object style for it) than a 2 column layout. 2 column layouts would not allow the span column feature.

Other solution: You could a single column text frame and split column in paragraph style > Span columns

• 3. Re: Looking for a Layout Suggestion
              Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Thanks guys, I thought about the span method. And I would be interested to hear your thoughts on a scenario that I didn't mention in original post. Most recipes will have the 2 columns portion, however there will be some with just one column and others that will have 3 columns. For a page that is just one recipe, no problem. But for a page that has multiple recipes, and that mixes both a 2 col. with a 3 col. layout, could that easily be done with the span method?

• 4. Re: Looking for a Layout Suggestion
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Of course, make a single column layout, use a single column text frame object style, use 3 paragraph styles.

Make the first one with a single column, specify the gutter as you want, even if it is one column, from that style make 2 based on that paragraph style, one with split into 2, the other split into 3 columns.

If you need to make changes at the font, spacing, insets, etc., do it on the first one, the other will inherit those changes.

I would recommend to work with baseline grid alignment, it looks better in multi column layout.

And take care, that you never use multiple carriage return to create space between several paragraphs, as it would destroy your layout. Use space before and after.

I would also use nested style, define a character style for the brown bold letters and use it in the paragraph style as nested style with include the :